Opinion of Woodrow Wilson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:52:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Opinion of Woodrow Wilson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Your opinion:
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of Woodrow Wilson  (Read 21008 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »

Yes. As we all know, the Center of the World was quite capable of winning itself.

Look, troll, the Allies could have won anyway. Had America stayed out, Germany could have been balkanised and that would have been that. I'm a British isolationist, and frankly I prefer that we'd have stayed out of WW1, but there you go.

That's an interesting idea. How would the Allies have won?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 04:15:17 PM »

Yes. As we all know, the Center of the World was quite capable of winning itself.

Look, troll, the Allies could have won anyway. Had America stayed out, Germany could have been balkanised and that would have been that. I'm a British isolationist, and frankly I prefer that we'd have stayed out of WW1, but there you go.

The same way we did in real life.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 04:28:18 PM »

The same way we did in real life.

In real life, you did it because of an influx of fresh Americans.

If America had not entered, Germany would be fighting a one-front war with France and Britain. Given that it had held its own against them while simultaneously fighting Russia and given what happened in 1940, I think it's reasonable to say that Paris would have fallen quickly.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »

Yeah right. Germany was on the verge of starvation in 1918. They could not have continued onwards to Paris, and even if they had reached Paris, they would not have captured the city.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »

Yeah right. Germany was on the verge of starvation in 1918. They could not have continued onwards to Paris, and even if they had reached Paris, they would not have captured the city.

Franch troops would have mutinied before it progressed to such a stage. Germany was coming off a string of victories, morale was low, and smmaller mutinies had already occured.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:54 PM »

It wasn't just American troops. but American war material that let the Entente Powers win World War I.  Had Wilson chosen to not follow Treasury Secretary McAdoo's advice in 1915 and not allow the Entente Powers to take out loans in the United States instead of having to pay specie for the war material they bought here, the Entente Powers would have not have been able to buy as much war material in America as they did.  It is entirely possible that the German offensive on the western front would have succeeded.  Certainly the Germans would have had fewer reasons to resume unrestricted submarine warfare in 1917 had the United States not abandoned strict neutrality in 1915 to become the Entente's munition factory.

It was Wilson's tilt towards the Entente that caused Bryan to resign in June 1915 as Secretary of State.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 07:30:06 PM »

the good things he did was the income tax, direct election of senators
LOL, if those are the "good things", I'm afraid to know what the bad things are.

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »

Of course, I think personally he was a SOB and a dirty racist. But led America through WW1 and introduced internationalism to America. And proved that Isolationism is nothing  but a cowardly and failed policy.
Right, it takes a lot of courage to lounge in the oval office while ordering thousands of young boys to be sent to their deaths for no good reason. Especially after you've lied your way through a whole election campaign promising to preserve peace.

Plus thanks to Wilson's interventionism, we eventually got to experience World War II, the Cold War, and the current mess in the Middle East.

What a success story.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »

Of course, I think personally he was a SOB and a dirty racist. But led America through WW1 and introduced internationalism to America. And proved that Isolationism is nothing  but a cowardly and failed policy.
Right, it takes a lot of courage to lounge in the oval office while ordering thousands of young boys to be sent to their deaths for no good reason. Especially after you've lied your way through a whole election campaign promising to preserve peace.

Plus thanks to Wilson's interventionism, we eventually got to experience World War II, the Cold War, and the current mess in the Middle East.

What a success story.

Would you oppose war even after being attacked?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »

What a success story.

We weren't. Hypotheticals=dgaf
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 07:25:12 AM »

What a success story.

We weren't. Hypotheticals=dgaf

In 1917 not, however Zimmermann Telegram was a good reason to get involved. But some other earlier events (Lusitania) too.

US was attacked directly in 1941 by Japan.
WillK

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »

He led, but his leadership was poor. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Internationalism was not a foreign concept to America before Wilson. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interestingly, the person coming most strongly to Wilson's defense is an R, not a D.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »

Let's see, Wilson was a virulent racist (even by early 20th century standards), a naive idealist, conducted his relations with Mexico in a blundering, acted against freedoms of the speech and press, interfered too much with the free market (Federal Reserve Act, Federal Farm Loan Act), and acted with a hostile and uncompromising style.

I believe the Antitrust Act and the income tax were the only good things he did. Monopolies are no good for the free market, and the income tax helped reduce the need for tariffs. Plus, he kept up the neutrality business for a while, at least.

Other than that, Wilson = HP.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »

A truly massive HP.

The very definition of a "Liberal Fascist."

Except that a) he wasn't a fascist, b) he wasn't liberal, and c) that doesn't make sense.

HP, though.

Quite the contrary, he temporarily made the United States the first (modern) fascist state in history when he created the first propaganda department (The Committee on Public Information) in the United States was created. He also created a sedition act and sharply surpressed dissent and resistence in the american public and the press.

In the fashion of a police state, the Department of Justice arrested tens of thousands of individuals without any cause. You weren't even safe within the walls of one’s own home to criticize the Wilson administration. A letter to federal attorneys and marshals said that citizens had nothing to fear as long as they “Obey the law; keep your mouth shut.” In fact, the Justice Department created the precursor to the Gestapo called the American Protective League. Its job was to spy on fellow citizens and turn in “seditious” persons or draft dodgers. In September of 1918 in NYC, the APL rounded up about 50,000 people. This doesn’t even include the infamous Palmer Raids (named after Wilson’s attorney general) that occurred after the war.

And he did much, much more, that damn totalitarian.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »

I believe the Antitrust Act and the income tax were the only good things he did. Monopolies are no good for the free market, and the income tax helped reduce the need for tariffs.

As a libertarian, you should know better than to support breaking up successful ventures, unless they fix prices or other such behaviour.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »

In the fashion of a police state, the Department of Justice arrested tens of thousands of individuals without any cause.

Bush.

Yes, I'm afraid that is somewhat true. He wasn't a fascist, but he was a Wilsonian.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »

I believe the Antitrust Act and the income tax were the only good things he did. Monopolies are no good for the free market, and the income tax helped reduce the need for tariffs.

As a libertarian, you should know better than to support breaking up successful ventures, unless they fix prices or other such behaviour.

I take more of a moderate stance on economic matters. In that instance, I suppose I'm a bad libertarian Smiley
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »

I take more of a moderate stance on economic matters. In that instance, I suppose I'm a bad libertarian Smiley
Supporting slavery a.k.a. the income tax makes you not a libertarian at all.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 07:26:34 PM »

...i, that wha huw.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »

That mentality is what prevents libertarianism from ever becoming viable. You have to be open to a big tent like the two major parties, to accomplish any of your goals at all. It's called compromise.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »

That mentality is what prevents libertarianism from ever becoming viable. You have to be open to a big tent like the two major parties, to accomplish any of your goals at all. It's called compromise.

Not sure about income tax, but the overall uber anti-tax mentality of alot of libertarians is crazy. It isn't taxes we should be against, it should be EXCESSIVE taxes. There's a difference. If you want to oppose any sort of taxation, you might as well become an anarchist, because there is no such thing as a government that can function without taxation.
RScannix
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15:49 PM »

Not sure about income tax, but the overall uber anti-tax mentality of alot of libertarians is crazy. It isn't taxes we should be against, it should be EXCESSIVE taxes. There's a difference. If you want to oppose any sort of taxation, you might as well become an anarchist, because there is no such thing as a government that can function without taxation.

My thoughts exactly.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 09:14:51 AM »

Shocked What, sane libertarians?!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

Mind boggling isn't it?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

Impossible!  You simply must be insane.  You're so much easier to strawman when you actually believe in your strawmen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies