Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:20:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360124 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: April 21, 2020, 10:38:04 AM »

Abrams pitches herself again. She wants to make sure Joe knows she'd be a great running mate. In case the first 25 messages didn't make it through.
OK, look. Saying "Yes I would take it" or "I would be honored to serve" is fine. Women should be clear and full throated about their ambition but this is THIRSTY. Especially when she is absolutely NOT qualified.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #801 on: April 21, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »

Abrams pitches herself again. She wants to make sure Joe knows she'd be a great running mate. In case the first 25 messages didn't make it through.
OK, look. Saying "Yes I would take it" or "I would be honored to serve" is fine. Women should be clear and full throated about their ambition but this is THIRSTY. Especially when she is absolutely NOT qualified.
I think the Kim Jong-un news crossed her off the list automatically.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #802 on: April 21, 2020, 11:56:57 AM »

Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #803 on: April 21, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »

I know some people are annoyed at her behavior, but I am starting to find it comedic.  Her nonstop attempts to get on the ticket could be an SNL skit, lol.  Maybe Whoopi Goldberg or Queen Latifah could play her.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #804 on: April 21, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

I think if I had to put % right now, it would be:

75% chance: Kamla
20% chance: Klobuchar
5% chance: anyone else

That's probably the right order, but I think the gap between Harris and Klobuchar is a lot closer than that.  Maybe 60-35.

You're right, it's probably closer to 60% Harris, 35% Klob, 5% someone else. Harris still with the edge. And 4 of that 5% may be Warren, and 1% everyone else. I just don't see Warren as a contender. They are not going to have two 70+ year olds on the ticket

You keep saying that and Pence and Trump are senior citizens as well.

And? *DEMOCRATS* are not going to have two 70+ year olds on the ticket. Pence is only 60, too
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #805 on: April 21, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »

Why do so many people think that Duckworth is a good pick? What does she bring to the table?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #806 on: April 21, 2020, 03:23:09 PM »

Why do so many people think that Duckworth is a good pick? What does she bring to the table?

Racial diversity, Midwestern and a veteran who lost her two legs in sacrifice for her country. Republicans can't paint her as unpatriotic, and if they do, it would backfire. However, I think there are better picks.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #807 on: April 21, 2020, 03:24:51 PM »

I think she'd be a great pick, and I say this as someone who interned for Mark Kirk and volunteered for his Senate reelection campaign. She's 25 years younger than Biden, a minority, has eight years of experience in Congress (enough that she's not a total neophyte but no so much that she's seen as a swamp creature) and has a great story as a double amputee Iraq veteran. There really isn't enough talk about her.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #808 on: April 21, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »

I think she'd be a great pick, and I say this as someone who interned for Mark Kirk and volunteered for his Senate reelection campaign. She's 25 years younger than Biden, a minority, has eight years of experience in Congress (enough that she's not a total neophyte but no so much that she's seen as a swamp creature) and has a great story as a double amputee Iraq veteran. There really isn't enough talk about her.

It's still early. There was not much talk about Biden either at the beginning of the 2008 veepstakes.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #809 on: April 21, 2020, 04:17:35 PM »

I do feel like the VP choice will be announced sooner rather than later considering what is going on in the world and the primary already being over. With little (or no?) rallies this campaign season, Dems are going to want the VP pick out early enough so people have time to get to know them amidst all the coronavirus coverage.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #810 on: April 21, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »

Blacks will fall behind Warren, we need Pressley and Joe in Senate

Can you stop referring to black people as "blacks"?

No, referring to demographic groups like that is an Atlas-ism that dates to before both our times here. For eternity these groups will always be referred to as “the olds, the young’s, the gays, and the blacks”

You forgot the poors as well.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #811 on: April 21, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »

I do feel like the VP choice will be announced sooner rather than later considering what is going on in the world and the primary already being over. With little (or no?) rallies this campaign season, Dems are going to want the VP pick out early enough so people have time to get to know them amidst all the coronavirus coverage.

Crazy to think looking back on it that Obama and McCain didn't announce their picks until August 23rd and 29th respectively.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #812 on: April 21, 2020, 06:33:42 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/joe-biden-endorsed-by-united-auto-workers-in-2020-presidential-campaign.html

Official but not unexpected. Did Whitmer's chances just get a slight uptick?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #813 on: April 21, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »

She is more of a "do-no-harm," "jack-of-all-trades" pick. If Biden feels like prioritizing his running mate's need to be qualified in the event hat she succeeds him and feels pretty confident in most other area of his campaign, that's how she could be chosen.

I personally expect the announcement around June.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #814 on: April 21, 2020, 07:11:38 PM »

What about Tammy Baldwin? Could she help win Wisconsin?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #815 on: April 21, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »

Why are dems wasting their time on Harrison? Why doesn't she campaign for Ossof or Warnock instead?
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #816 on: April 21, 2020, 07:48:17 PM »

I think the Kim Jong-un news crossed her off the list automatically.

Ah yes, Abrams has no chance now that her #1 fan Kim Jong-un is off the vetting panel.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #817 on: April 21, 2020, 07:57:42 PM »

It puts her Senate seat at risk though
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #818 on: April 21, 2020, 08:25:00 PM »

Probably.  A couple of the pundits (Enten and Morris, I think, but not 100% sure) have said that a VP choice is generally worth a 1-2% bounce in the VP's home state, so that could make the difference in Wisconsin.  The downside is that if Biden and Baldwin win, it would open up a Senate seat that the Democrats might lose, and could conceivably make the difference in control of the Senate.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« Reply #819 on: April 21, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »

I wonder if this would mean the return of Russ Feingold to the Senate.  I hope Wisconsin would have learned from 2016.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #820 on: April 21, 2020, 08:38:55 PM »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tperry518/status/1252580201437028358?s=20
Why are dems wasting their time on Harrison? Why doesn't she campaign for Ossof or Warnock instead?
He's been raising quite a bit of money by virtue of being Lindsey Graham's opponent, he's the former SCDP Chair and has had leadership roles in the DNC, he's within the margin of error in a state with a significant Black population, and has been loyal to the party... they're not going to ignore his race.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #821 on: April 21, 2020, 08:48:39 PM »

I wonder if this would mean the return of Russ Feingold to the Senate.  I hope Wisconsin would have learned from 2016.

That one still hurts. Sad
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #822 on: April 21, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »

She is more of a "do-no-harm," "jack-of-all-trades" pick. If Biden feels like prioritizing his running mate's need to be qualified in the event hat she succeeds him and feels pretty confident in most other area of his campaign, that's how she could be chosen.

I personally expect the announcement around June.

This

I think the announcement will be made around then too
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #823 on: April 21, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »

Racial diversity, Midwestern and a veteran who lost her two legs in sacrifice for her country. Republicans can't paint her as unpatriotic, and if they do, it would backfire. However, I think there are better picks.

John Kerry won three Purple Hearts, and the GOP proceeded to turn that into his biggest weakness. Next. Trying to "out-militarize" the GOP is a dumb, dumb move that never works.

Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« Reply #824 on: April 21, 2020, 08:55:56 PM »

That one still hurts. Sad
I still miss Russ.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies