January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:18:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 139773 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: July 19, 2021, 11:16:18 AM »

Unless they hurt someone or damaged property, probation sounds fine for the rest.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »

Too long.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 12:14:51 PM »

Unless they hurt someone or damaged property, probation sounds fine for the rest.

Probation for trying to violently overthrow the government?

Didn't I say violent ones deserve jail time?  Yes, yes I did.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 02:11:19 PM »

Didn't I say violent ones deserve jail time?  Yes, yes I did.

They were all violent. At best you could argue that this terrorist only intended to come in the Capitol to yell, scream, and threaten Congressmen into overturning the election while not being willing to throw any punches or pull any triggers himself, but considering how he knowingly and willingly went in there with people who were willing to go all the way, is that really a convincing argument? I think not. We all know what his intentions were.

Uh, no, they were not all violent.  Many were arrested after the fact just for being outside of the buildings but on the grounds. I'm in favor of punishing for what they did, not what any of us think their intentions were.  If they committed violence or damaged property, jail time. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 02:33:40 PM »

Didn't I say violent ones deserve jail time?  Yes, yes I did.

They were all violent. At best you could argue that this terrorist only intended to come in the Capitol to yell, scream, and threaten Congressmen into overturning the election while not being willing to throw any punches or pull any triggers himself, but considering how he knowingly and willingly went in there with people who were willing to go all the way, is that really a convincing argument? I think not. We all know what his intentions were.

Uh, no, they were not all violent.  Many were arrested after the fact just for being outside of the buildings but on the grounds. I'm in favor of punishing for what they did, not what any of us think their intentions were.  If they committed violence or damaged property, jail time.  

Yes, you already so opined Grumps, so no need to repeat when there is Joe Republic's rope thing (see above) twisting, twisting slowly in the wind for you to contend with. Is that just his fashion accessory of choice?

I have no reason to respond to Joe's post. There were lots of crazy photos of that day.  As you mentioned, I've repeated for the umpteenth time what I think are the criteria for being jailed. Maybe this guy did one or both of those things.  I don't know.  I'm not advocating for probation for him. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 02:57:54 PM »

Uh, no, they were not all violent.  Many were arrested after the fact just for being outside of the buildings but on the grounds. I'm in favor of punishing for what they did, not what any of us think their intentions were.  If they committed violence or damaged property, jail time.  

Yes, you already so opined Grumps, so no need to repeat when there is Joe Republic's rope thing (see above) twisting, twisting slowly in the wind for you to contend with. Is that just his fashion accessory of choice?

I have no reason to respond to Joe's post. There were lots of crazy photos of that day.  As you mentioned, I've repeated for the umpteenth time what I think are the criteria for being jailed. Maybe this guy did one or both of those things.  I don't know.  I'm not advocating for probation for him. 

Well let's try to finesse away your fixation with cells for a moment, and frame the issue another way. Do you think the guy running around with a rope in his hands is in and of itself an exacerbating fact?

No doubt the Judge saw it as such, and that's why he's going to the cooler.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 03:16:44 PM »

Well let's try to finesse away your fixation with cells for a moment, and frame the issue another way. Do you think the guy running around with a rope in his hands is in and of itself an exacerbating fact?

No doubt the Judge saw it as such, and that's why he's going to the cooler.

That is a very legalistic and evasive answer. I think I may have had a bad influence on you. Sad!

Oh I've learned a lot from you and a couple of other friends outside of here.  Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 12:16:41 PM »

Pelosi has rejected Banks and Jordan

I'm sure McCarthy put them up just so that would happen.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 03:12:26 PM »

Pelosi's select committee will be a giant waste of money and nothing useful will come out of it.  There will be lots of ignored subpoenas too.  Grab some popcorn.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 06:59:25 AM »

Pelosi's select committee will be a giant waste of money and nothing useful will come out of it.  There will be lots of ignored subpoenas too.  Grab some popcorn.

This isn't even about Pelosi it's about finding out the details of who organized an attack on the Capitol. Real Americans deserve more answers.

I'm not sure you'll get more, Doc.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 08:30:35 AM »

These loonies will subpoena Trump but he's not showing and they'll have to take it all the way to SCOTUS to push the matter.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 09:47:11 AM »

Oh, good, the nothingburger hearings have started!  Popcorn - check.  Bourbon - check.  I'm ready!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »

Oh, good, the nothingburger hearings have started!  Popcorn - check.  Bourbon - check.  I'm ready!

I'm sure you still want Benghazi hearings though.

Most hearings are snoozers and a waste of time and money.  No, didn't want them or watch them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 10:55:42 AM »

I'm glad US Capitol Police Sergeant Aquilino Gonell isn't walking a beat in the Bronx.  Roll Eyes
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »

For the people convicted of the January 6 coup....do they lose the right to vote in future elections?

It wasn't a coup, so no.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 11:16:40 AM »

Lawsuits against Presidents who were claimed to have done something while serving as President have never gone anywhere.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »

A federal judge ordered this video released over prosecutors objections as they felt it was a national security risk.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 01:53:42 PM »

A federal judge ordered this video released over prosecutors objections as they felt it was a national security risk.

And?
What's your point?
Also, I have seen that video plenty of times in the past. Nothing new.

The point is not everyone there was there for a coup attempt.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »

Did any punishment befall Bannon?

I highly doubt these top Trump associates will comply with their subpoenas.

Nope. Garland didn't do a thing like the inept wimp he is.

There's no way a decision has been made on Bannon already. No matter who was AG, we would still be waiting. 

This is correct.  Wayyyyyyyyy to early to tell what Garland will do.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 03:02:21 PM »

This particular old lawyer is flummoxed as to why a court is not involved here. It seems to me that Meadows etc could state that  they will not invoke executive privilege unless a court so enjoins him to pursuant to a Trump filed lawsuit within say 30 days. Or he could state to Congress that it should get a court order stating that executive privilege does not apply and compelling him to testify not invoking it. It seems ridiculous and very unfair to put a witness in criminal jeopardy over a dispute about the scope of executive privilege without having a court issue a ruling first.

Am I missing something here?

It's been pointed out by some of the national security lawyers on Twitter that any of the subpoenaed people could file suit to quash their subpoena -- which would at a minimum protect them from criminal contempt charges while the suit was being resolved.  However, none of them has filed such a suit.

Thanks.  Myself, I don't think it reasonable to incur the attorney's fees to do that, so my approach if subpoenaed would be to state that I would honor it if not quashed pursuant to someone else's lawsuit with a given period of time.

Not that it matters, but I think the executive privilege claims are ludicrous, and wonder what the exposure would be to a witness for ignoring such claims absent a court order, assuming much to my shock and amazement that a court disagrees with my opinion.

Has Pence been asked to testify by the way?

Not yet, but his Chief of Staff is cooperating with the Committee.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 03:18:46 PM »

I would anticipate him being 100% loyal to Pence and nothing to Trump. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »

This particular old lawyer is flummoxed as to why a court is not involved here. It seems to me that Meadows etc could state that  they will not invoke executive privilege unless a court so enjoins him to pursuant to a Trump filed lawsuit within say 30 days. Or he could state to Congress that it should get a court order stating that executive privilege does not apply and compelling him to testify not invoking it. It seems ridiculous and very unfair to put a witness in criminal jeopardy over a dispute about the scope of executive privilege without having a court issue a ruling first.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:47 PM »

Thanks Grumps. Is it just me, or has the world just gone stark raving mad on so many fronts?

Crazy times, Brother
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 04:40:30 PM »

Predictably, Perry has declined to cooperate voluntarily.  The question now is whether the committee will attempt to subpoena a fellow member of Congress.

Have they ever done so in the past?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »

Predictably, Perry has declined to cooperate voluntarily.  The question now is whether the committee will attempt to subpoena a fellow member of Congress.

Have they ever done so in the past?

Not that I know of, but I wouldn't swear that there never have been.  I know that some staff members of sitting Congressmen have been subpoenaed in the past and testified.

That's what I thought.  But he's declined so we will see what's next.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies