What U.S. City should be the 2024 Olympic nominee? Round 1 (again) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:02:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What U.S. City should be the 2024 Olympic nominee? Round 1 (again) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What U.S. City should be the 2024 Olympic nominee?
Boston

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Washington

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What U.S. City should be the 2024 Olympic nominee? Round 1 (again)  (Read 1903 times)
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« on: June 14, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »

Out of these choices, not Los Angeles again.

But I agree with what Comrade Sibboleth said above. There was a lot of controversy around Atlanta. There was also the revenue issue with the IOC and USOC, which seems to have been resolved, but caused issues for previous USOC bids (New York for 2012 and Chicago for 2016). In all honesty, I'd say this Olympics will be in Europe.. I'd guess Paris.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »

But I agree with what Comrade Sibboleth said above. There was a lot of controversy around Atlanta.

I think a lot of that stemmed from the perception that Atlanta was a minor city- equivalent to some remote village in sticks or somesuch silliness.

It's not just that. Many people thought Atlanta got it because Coca-Cola (a huge sponsor for the Olympics) is based in Atlanta. In addition to the bombing, people thought the Olympics were overcommercialized, and many athletes complained about the American crowds (for example, many gymnasts could not hear their floor music during their performances).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies