Politico: GOP's New Mission -- Stop Palin (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:22:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Politico: GOP's New Mission -- Stop Palin (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: GOP's New Mission -- Stop Palin  (Read 2855 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: October 31, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »

I honestly think Gary Johnson could do very well. Palin has the rural white, religious vote, so who's left? Fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal Republicans (in other words, libertarians). NH + NV, and he's a frontrunner.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »

I honestly think Gary Johnson could do very well. Palin has the rural white, religious vote, so who's left? Fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal Republicans (in other words, libertarians). NH + NV, and he's a frontrunner.

I wish you were right, but honestly think you are way oversimplifying the make up of the GOP. If Ron Paul Love-o-lution couldn't break 20 delegates, Gary Johnson ain't getting the nomination.

Paul had many problems that Johnson won't.

1. Paul's campaign organization was terrible, they didn't really make good use of all their money.

2. Paul is not very good looking, nor a charismatic guy. He can come off as even a bit crazy at times.

3. Johnson may benefit in the southwest due to the favorite son effect. He'll probably take Hispanic Republicans as well.

Still, I do let my hope get the better of me.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »

I wish you were right, but honestly think you are way oversimplifying the make up of the GOP. If Ron Paul Love-o-lution couldn't break 20 delegates, Gary Johnson ain't getting the nomination.

Paul had many problems that Johnson won't.

1. Paul's campaign organization was terrible, they didn't really make good use of all their money.

2. Paul is not very good looking, nor a charismatic guy. He can come off as even a bit crazy at times.

3. Johnson may benefit in the southwest due to the favorite son effect. He'll probably take Hispanic Republicans as well.

Still, I do let my hope get the better of me.

2. And Gary Johnson is charismatic?

This really is a problem with Johnson. I saw him on Freedom Watch a few months ago and he really came off as a bit of an awkward speaker. A bit absurd for a someone attack Paul for lack of charisma while supporting Johnson.

I'm not attacking Paul, I'm saying why I think Johnson would have a better chance of winning the nomination than Paul did two years ago.

On Paul's looks, it's naive to think those don't have an influence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies