COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:37:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 540355 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6275 on: August 19, 2021, 09:04:37 AM »

Less than 1% of Americans have schizophrenia. Come on guys.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6276 on: August 19, 2021, 09:10:52 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2021, 09:14:06 AM by The Daily Beagle »

Less than 1% of Americans have schizophrenia. Come on guys.

How do you explain the behavior? There is PROBABLY a benign explanation or some other explanation but this sort of behavior that is being exhibited by so many people isn't what any reasonable person would consider "normal".  I guess if it means anything, people claiming to be abducted by aliens don't really appear to have anything wrong with them if we control for everything else, but then again that isn't a rational end of the story. Either 1) they HAVE been abducted by aliens, 2) there is something wrong with them, or 3) something else is happening that we don't understand and just because we don't understand it doesn't mean everything is OK or that nothing exists.

From all that we know, this is some sort of induced mass psychosis that is connected somehow to the end of a society and the start of another one. Maybe there is some sort of tangible connection between individuals in the societies they identify with. It could be related to the sort of thing that animals freak out about before someone dies, there is a major disaster, or something like that. We really don't know and there is nothing right now that can explain it and it should be studied but we don't even really know how to do that.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6277 on: August 19, 2021, 10:17:34 AM »

It may not be textbook schizophrenia, but there is some serious mental issue.
If you think this is strange, there are actually historic precedents for similar types of behaviors to occur without physical explanation. The dancing plagues of Medieval Europe come to mind and could be a similar cause.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6278 on: August 19, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »

Our covid ICU is starting to fill up again, all with unvaccinated people. Had three people die in the past 24 hours, none of them would be in that spot with a simple vaccine. I can't even begin to describe how frustrating this is, one patient wanted the vaccine before he was intuabted. These people will go for any exiperiminatal treatment we can throw at them once they get in the ICU, sadly there isn't a whole lot we can offer them once they get to us. It usually ends up being a waiting game to see if their body can overcome it after we intubate, prone and paralyze them.

What stories are you hearing (directly or through other staff) about why these people chose not to get vaccinated?

I think the craziest was a guy that was full of conspiracy theories, didn't think it was real but then claimed that we gave it to him on purpose even though he came to the hospital with all the classic symptoms. His family was even worse, literally blaming us for giving him covid. It was bizarre.

Mostly people just say they didn't get around to it, didn't think it was anything to worry about or some want it to be approved first. I've also had families say that they didn't think covid was real before their loved one got sick. Sadly it takes something traumatic for these people to truly get it.

A full half of the country exhibits classic paranoid schizophrenic behavior.
true. that'd be the half still worried about covid
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #6279 on: August 19, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »

Will we get back to 2000 deaths in a day again?

Definitely not. Enough people are vaccinated that death numbers that high are virtually impossible.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6280 on: August 19, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »

Florida has had 1,819 deaths and 319,802 cases in the last 14 days.
The United States, total, has had 9,531 deaths and 1,856,115 cases in the same time period.

19% of deaths and 18% of cases are solely attributable to Florida, which has 6% of the U.S. population.

For comparison, my state of Washington had 161 deaths and 37,552 cases.  1/3 the population, 1/10 the COVID.

Where does Ron DeSantis go to return his apology?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6281 on: August 19, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »

Thank you America! There is an overwhelming mandate to start punishing the non-vaccinateds, and the government must act on it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6282 on: August 19, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »

Senators Angus King (I-ME) and Roger Wicker (R-MS) have both announced today that they have tested positive for COVID.  King was fully vaccinated; I'm not sure about Wicker.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6283 on: August 19, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »

Thank you America! There is an overwhelming mandate to start punishing the non-vaccinateds, and the government must act on it.

Data for Progress is a certified joke.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6284 on: August 19, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »

Senators Angus King (I-ME) and Roger Wicker (R-MS) have both announced today that they have tested positive for COVID.  King was fully vaccinated; I'm not sure about Wicker.

Both are:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6285 on: August 19, 2021, 02:27:24 PM »

Sen. John Hickenlooper has also tested positive.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6286 on: August 19, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »

Data for Progress is a certified joke.

Someone's triggered.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6287 on: August 19, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »

Will we get back to 2000 deaths in a day again?

Definitely not. Enough people are vaccinated that death numbers that high are virtually impossible.

I wouldn't bet on that.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6288 on: August 19, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »

Data for Progress, by its own admission, is not a polling firm.  It's a "think tank for the future of progressivism."  Their business model is selling advocacy groups the polling results they want for their fundraising/communications strategies. 
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6289 on: August 19, 2021, 03:13:11 PM »

So I've been comparing virus histories by country lately, and it seems like Delta produces a short hard spike. India is a really spectacular example of this.

Based on this comparison, I predicted on July 30 that we were likely heading for a peak about one month from that date, during the last week of August.

I'm feeling pretty good about my prediction. In fact, I think I may have been a bit pessimistic - it's possible that we may be at peak right now. Cases have already started to decline in Missouri, the first state to have a surge, and Arkansas and Nevada (which both closely followed Missouri) have gone flat. National case growth is continuing, but it has slowed dramatically and continues to do so. Even Florida is improving - cases are dropping in Jacksonville and flattening in most other areas.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6290 on: August 19, 2021, 03:23:04 PM »

Joe and Jill Biden will get a booster shot, too:

Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #6291 on: August 19, 2021, 03:55:21 PM »

So I've been comparing virus histories by country lately, and it seems like Delta produces a short hard spike. India is a really spectacular example of this.

Based on this comparison, I predicted on July 30 that we were likely heading for a peak about one month from that date, during the last week of August.

I'm feeling pretty good about my prediction. In fact, I think I may have been a bit pessimistic - it's possible that we may be at peak right now. Cases have already started to decline in Missouri, the first state to have a surge, and Arkansas and Nevada (which both closely followed Missouri) have gone flat. National case growth is continuing, but it has slowed dramatically and continues to do so. Even Florida is improving - cases are dropping in Jacksonville and flattening in most other areas.

So this is almost certainly happening but death reporting is so backed up, we are talking up to a month gap between the deaths and cases. Ie. today the CDC just added almost 800 new Florida deaths.

So we probably have been above 1000 a day for at least a week, perhaps even two. That is going to get dumped so that even as cases are going down the reporting will make this last into late September/early October.

This should be worrying for DeSantis and others not so much for this year but because if the same thing happens next year, there is the prospect of 100+ deaths being reported a day in Florida right up until election day, which really would not be helpful.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6292 on: August 19, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »

Keep in mind many of these public official breakthrough cases are among older people and the fact that they are almost always in public doesn't help.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #6293 on: August 19, 2021, 09:28:40 PM »

Our covid ICU is starting to fill up again, all with unvaccinated people. Had three people die in the past 24 hours, none of them would be in that spot with a simple vaccine. I can't even begin to describe how frustrating this is, one patient wanted the vaccine before he was intuabted. These people will go for any exiperiminatal treatment we can throw at them once they get in the ICU, sadly there isn't a whole lot we can offer them once they get to us. It usually ends up being a waiting game to see if their body can overcome it after we intubate, prone and paralyze them.

Thank you for your service.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6294 on: August 19, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »

What stories are you hearing (directly or through other staff) about why these people chose not to get vaccinated?

I think the craziest was a guy that was full of conspiracy theories, didn't think it was real but then claimed that we gave it to him on purpose even though he came to the hospital with all the classic symptoms. His family was even worse, literally blaming us for giving him covid. It was bizarre.

Mostly people just say they didn't get around to it, didn't think it was anything to worry about or some want it to be approved first. I've also had families say that they didn't think covid was real before their loved one got sick. Sadly it takes something traumatic for these people to truly get it.

Thank you for coming back and answering my question.
I'm sorry you and others in your medical facility are experiencing such disgusting criticism, and even horrific words that your staff are to blame for them catching Covid.
Just know that we appreciate everything you guys are doing, and that we understand it is very difficult on your physical and emotional health.
Take care.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6295 on: August 19, 2021, 09:46:12 PM »

A full half of the country exhibits classic paranoid schizophrenic behavior.
true. that'd be the half still worried about covid

The people worried about covid aren't endangering the lives of others or filling up ICUs.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6296 on: August 19, 2021, 10:34:24 PM »

Local mask mandates allowed for now after Texas Supreme Court rejects Gov. Abbott's request to intervene.

The Supreme Court of Texas refused Gov. Greg Abbott's request to intervene Thursday in the case of mask mandates established by several local jurisdictions. As a result, the lower court ruling allowing school districts to require masks in their schools still stands.

https://us.cnn.com/2021/08/19/us/texas-supreme-court-mask-mandate/index.html
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6297 on: August 19, 2021, 11:19:43 PM »

Some recent deaths from COVID:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2021-08-19/sc-county-republican-party-leader-dies-from-covid-19

Tea Party Trumper and Greenville county GOP organizer Pressley Stutts

“Mandates and coercions DO NOT WORK especially when they come to us from a government that has repeatedly lied to the American People time and time again,” Stutts wrote on his Facebook page.

His final post came five days before his death, when he wrote he chose to go on a ventilator and planned to “wake up from this short rest and be back in the game soon!”

---------

Christian radio host who asked if vaccine is form of government control dies of COVID

------------

Steve Walsh, the Press Sec for US Rep/Senate candidate Vicki Hartzler-MO and husband of state rep Sara Walsh who is running for Hartzler's seat.  Was not vaxxed cause blah blah blah

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/missouri-lawmaker-s-husband-who-was-not-vaccinated-dies-covid-n1277171

Continuing to be in bad shape are the Jr. Pope in Wisconsin, the Jacque-Ass Senator in Wisconsin and conservative radio host/ vaccine skeptic Phil Valentine,
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6298 on: August 20, 2021, 01:05:33 AM »

Jacksonville Regeneron clinic photo ‘doesn’t convey ... pain' of COVID-19 patients
Louie Lopez showed up to the downtown Jacksonville Main Library Conference Center on Wednesday in the early afternoon for a Regeneron therapy appointment. His primary care doctor recommended it after Lopez tested positive for COVID-19 and was experiencing moderate to severe symptoms.

While waiting in line for his turn, two other people got in the line behind Lopez. Both of them, he says, sat down on the floor immediately. They eventually laid down “sick and moaning.” Lopez, 59, told the Times-Union the woman pictured in yellow was dragging herself on the floor as the line slowly moved forward.

Lopez took a photo and sent it to his wife.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6299 on: August 20, 2021, 01:11:47 AM »

Jacksonville Regeneron clinic photo ‘doesn’t convey ... pain' of COVID-19 patients
Louie Lopez showed up to the downtown Jacksonville Main Library Conference Center on Wednesday in the early afternoon for a Regeneron therapy appointment. His primary care doctor recommended it after Lopez tested positive for COVID-19 and was experiencing moderate to severe symptoms.

While waiting in line for his turn, two other people got in the line behind Lopez. Both of them, he says, sat down on the floor immediately. They eventually laid down “sick and moaning.” Lopez, 59, told the Times-Union the woman pictured in yellow was dragging herself on the floor as the line slowly moved forward.

Lopez took a photo and sent it to his wife.

Why won't Joe Biden take responsibility for this?  I don't want to hear any finger-pointing.  He's the president and the buck stops with him.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies