Ilhan Omar accuses Israel of Terrorism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:52:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar accuses Israel of Terrorism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar accuses Israel of Terrorism  (Read 2301 times)
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 09:34:20 AM »

Does anyone here support a two state solution or does Israel or Palestine have to be wiped out, who goes first?

As bizarre as it might sound from a Muslim-American, but I support a one-state solution. No, it's not the total destruction of the state of Israel, rather it's what I call a "Canaanite Confederation" made up from the integration of the states of Israel and Palestine into provinces with the city of Jerusalem being a free city as the joint capital.
jdk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.68, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:02 AM »

"Our goal is only to strike terror."

The Israeli army said it wants to strike terror in the hearts of Hamas terrorists?  Is there no limit to Zionist cruelty? Roll Eyes

Except in this case "Hamas terrorists" now includes 9 children. And terror has been struck in their families' hearts as they grieve over their children's cold little bodies. What's left of them, anyway.

I know, I know, they're Arabs so they would have ended up becoming terrorists eventually, but I still think their lives mattered.

And let's not forget why these clashes started in the first place. See my signature.

These clashes started because of some deadbeat tenants getting evicted for their refusal to pay rent and then proceeded to rile up violent terrorists, which Israel is now vilified for defending themselves from.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 10:46:38 AM »

The Israeli army said it wants to strike terror in the hearts of Hamas terrorists?  Is there no limit to Zionist cruelty? Roll Eyes

Except in this case "Hamas terrorists" now includes 9 children. And terror has been struck in their families' hearts as they grieve over their children's cold little bodies. What's left of them, anyway.

I know, I know, they're Arabs so they would have ended up becoming terrorists eventually, but I still think their lives mattered.

And let's not forget why these clashes started in the first place. See my signature.

These clashes started because of some deadbeat tenants getting evicted for their refusal to pay rent and then proceeded to rile up violent terrorists, which Israel is now vilified for defending themselves from.
That’s...a very biased and incomplete description.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 01:44:37 PM »

Israel is attacking military targets that result in some civilian deaths as collateral damage, as occurs by both sides in every war. Palestinian terrorists are indiscriminately firing missiles into civilian areas with the express purpose of killing civilians. I'm just going to assume no one over the age of like 15 is too stupid to understand the distinction there so reactions like this must be motivated by an emotional bias against Israel. Hmm, is there anything distinctive about Israel that could be motivating that?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 01:54:12 PM »

Israel is attacking military targets that result in some civilian deaths as collateral damage, as occurs by both sides in every war. Palestinian terrorists are indiscriminately firing missiles into civilian areas with the express purpose of killing civilians. I'm just going to assume no one over the age of like 15 is too stupid to understand the distinction there so reactions like this must be motivated by an emotional bias against Israel. Hmm, is there anything distinctive about Israel that could be motivating that?
Perhaps the fact that Hamas's missiles do not have "MADE IN USA" stamped on them?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »

Perhaps the fact that Hamas's missiles do not have "MADE IN USA" stamped on them?

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.  What’s your point?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »

A U.S. Representative may be more concerned about terrorism by U.S. client states using U.S. weaponry. Hope this helps!
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »

A U.S. Representative may be more concerned about terrorism by U.S. client states using U.S. weaponry. Hope this helps!

Again, collateral damage as part of attacks on legitimate military targets is not terrorism. We killed plenty of German civilians that way during WWII and I've never heard anyone attribute that as terrorism except people with a strong pro-German bias. Not the same thing as indiscriminately dumping 1000 rockets into residential areas.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 02:19:42 PM »

Again, collateral damage as part of attacks on legitimate military targets is not terrorism. We killed plenty of German civilians that way during WWII and I've never heard anyone attribute that as terrorism except people with a strong pro-German bias. Not the same thing as indiscriminately dumping 1000 rockets into residential areas.
Residential towers are not "legitimate military targets."
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »

The Residential towers are literally where the rockets are being launched from and Hamas uses civilians as human shields. This isn't to justify everything and its arguable that Hamas's Rockets cause too little harm to be worth air strike retaliation especially with the heightened risk of killing civilians in such a densely populated area.. However in the short run what should be solution against Hamas firing rockets?

Covert ops?
On the ground invasion of Gaza?

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 03:53:16 PM »

The West Bank and Gaza belong to Israel as much as America West of the Mississippi belongs to the United States.

Israel annexed that territory in War. It is their land. If Palestinians believe that in unfair, maybe they shouldn’t have tried to destroy Israel.

What’s the saying again? Don’t dish out what you yourself can’t handle?

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »

If children are being used as human shields, I'd like to posit that Israel ought to find some method of dealing with Hamas that doesn't involve just killing them. Hamas has only killed 6 civilians so far, as far as I can tell, so clearly their rockets aren't very effective. Continuing to show little regard for the lives of innocent Palestinians is doing nothing but making the situation much worse.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 04:17:40 PM »

The West Bank and Gaza belong to Israel as much as America West of the Mississippi belongs to the United States.

Israel annexed that territory in War. It is their land. If Palestinians believe that in unfair, maybe they shouldn’t have tried to destroy Israel.

Funny how US conservatives immediately radically change their speech whenever it suits them best. Don’t cry about Russian annexations or Chinese expansionism then.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »

The Israeli government are guilty of callous indifference to Gazan lives. Hamas are guilty of that too, but are also trying to deliberately kill Israeli civilians for the sake of it. That’s the difference between the two of them. The Israelis goal isn’t killing civilians, Hamas’s is.

Perhaps Israel’s actions should be scrutinised more than Hamas given their closeness with the US. And perhaps given the relatively low threat levels Hamas rockets pose levelling entire buildings - with the resulting civilian casualties (not to mention making hundreds of people homeless) - is a gross overreaction on the Israeli part.

But it’s not terrorism in any meaningful sense of word. And one of the many reasons Israel isn’t held to account for the undeniable transgressions they’ve made -  is the hysterical, hyperbolic, disproportionate way people rush to denounce them making Israel’s supporters more likely to defend them.

Put another way, if your reaction is “EVIL ZIONISTS BAD!!!” then all you’re doing is allowing Israelis and Pro -Israelis to dismiss your concerns as bad faith is and to continue to ignore the Palestinians plight.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 04:52:12 PM »

The Residential towers are literally where the rockets are being launched from and Hamas uses civilians as human shields. This isn't to justify everything and its arguable that Hamas's Rockets cause too little harm to be worth air strike retaliation especially with the heightened risk of killing civilians in such a densely populated area.. However in the short run what should be solution against Hamas firing rockets?

Covert ops?
On the ground invasion of Gaza?
"Hamas uses civilians as human shields, so we had to go ahead and bomb the civilians." What on earth?? Israel's air defenses already shoot down 95% of rockets fired from Gaza; they're not particularly effective. The problem here is that Israel responds to every incident with wildly disproportionate retaliation — a volley of rockets, maybe one or two of which get through, is answered with hundreds of Palestinians made homeless — which only provokes further reaction and radicalization.
omar04

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 11:00:01 PM »

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.  What’s your point?

This discourse of collateral damage has been immensely destructive: https://aeon.co/essays/the-pantomime-drama-of-victims-and-villains-conceals-the-real-horrors-of-war
omar04

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2021, 12:09:20 AM »

Being deliberately obtuse is rarely as witty as intended.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2021, 01:16:06 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2021, 04:44:33 AM by Anyone But Yang! »

wut?

The fact Menachem bagin and others a part in separate incidents as the bombing of the King David Hotel still makes it highly excessive hyperbole to take the entire nation of Israel's, as you put it, founded on terrorism
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »

She reminds me of Reagan who compared the Israeli airstrike on Beirut to creating a... holocaust. Imagine telling this to PM of Israel.

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/27/magazine/reagan-turns-to-israel.html
The agreement was only two weeks old when Mr. Begin handed Mr. Reagan another shock - the virtual annexation of the Golan Heights, an area seized from Syria in the 1967 war. Mr. Reagan retaliated by suspending the new accord. Mr. Begin was stung into an emotional outburst, accusing the United States Government of treating Israel like a ''banana republic.'' So ended strategic cooperation in 1981.

The relationship remained bumpy for the next year. Israel completed its withdrawal from Sinai in April 1982, honoring its obligation under the Camp David agreements. Six weeks later, however, Israel fulfilled Washington's forebodings by invading Lebanon in an all-out offensive against P.L.O. forces north of the border. To the surprise of American officials, who expected the Israelis to stop about 25 miles into Lebanon, Mr. Sharon drove to Beirut in a grand plan to do away with the P.L.O. and Syrian presences in all of Lebanon and to promote a Lebanese-Israeli alliance.

This bold stroke plunged the Reagan Administration into confusion and discord. Mr. Reagan and Mr. Weinberger were upset; Mr. Haig saw in the invasion an opportunity to free Lebanon of all foreign forces. Mr. Weinberger wanted the President to take firm action against Israel; Mr. Haig disagreed. This dispute contributed heavily to Mr. Haig's resignation, and his replacement by Mr. Shultz.

When Israeli planes attacked Beirut, Mr. Reagan called Mr. Begin to tell him his air force was creating a ''holocaust,'' a term the Prime Minister found insulting. In September 1982, after the P.L.O. and Syrian forces in Beirut were evacuated by sea under the terms of a cease-fire, Mr. Reagan, at Mr. Shultz's urging, offered his plan for Jordan and the West Bank. Mr. Begin rejected it out of hand. Lebanon's new President-elect, Bashir Gemayel, was assassinated later that month, and the Israelis entered West Beirut, in violation of the cease- fire. While Israel was in control of the city, the forces of the Phalangist Christian faction slaughtered hundreds of Palestinian refugees in the Sabra and Shatila camps.

The massacre brought Israeli-American relations to their lowest point. A small peacekeeping force of American marines and French and Italian soldiers had overseen the Beirut evacuation; the President now sent the marines back to Beirut and and demanded that the Israelis leave. Through the winter of 1982-83, the United States blamed Israel for the lack of progress in Lebanon. The marines almost came to blows with the Israelis in disputes over their patroling areas.

Sad, that US turned so f**king neocon, that even Ilhan Omar is softer on Israel than Reagan. Not to compare to Biden, who so far showed no balls against Bibi.

Then, in 80' US was way more dependant on Israel/Middle East because of the spats with USSR.  *Today* when Middle East more or less rendered itself irrelevant, Reagan would tear Bibi apart for less.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2021, 03:46:46 PM »

If the United States was expanding today in the way that it did in the 19th century, I promise you that many people, American and elsewhere, would have a very big issue with it. Saying that other nations have also done the same thing, decades or centuries ago, is not at all an actual justification of the Israeli government's behavior on the basis on any merit.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2021, 03:56:09 PM »

If the United States was expanding today in the way that it did in the 19th century, I promise you that many people, American and elsewhere, would have a very big issue with it. Saying that other nations have also done the same thing, decades or centuries ago, is not at all an actual justification of the Israeli government's behavior on the basis on any merit.

Palestine started to war. They lost that war. A part of losing wars you started is... well, losing.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2021, 04:19:44 PM »

Palestine started to war. They lost that war. A part of losing wars you started is... well, losing.

I must've missed the part where American expansion west of the Mississippi was entirely the result of other nations starting and losing wars with the United States.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »

What war did "Palestine" start? Why should Palestinians have to still pay today for the actions of Egypt, Syria, and Jordan 50 or more years ago?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »

What war did "Palestine" start? Why should Palestinians have to still pay today for the actions of Egypt, Syria, and Jordan 50 or more years ago?

It's true that Palestine did not start any ways, but in admitting that one also has to acknowledge that absolutely none of Israel's territory was ever taken from an independent Arab nation named Palestine.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2021, 04:40:25 PM »

I must've missed the part where American expansion west of the Mississippi was entirely the result of other nations starting and losing wars with the United States.

Do native tribes and confederations not count as "nations?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies