Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:56:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hot, Bad & Unpopular Takes  (Read 142142 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: November 17, 2017, 01:58:49 AM »

The 'right' of sovereignity is a load of bullsh**te. The only thing it represents is the supposed right for a small national elite to brutalise the ordinary people within their countries on the ostensible grounds that being oppressed is actually a good thing if your oppresser speaks the same language as you and has a vague ethnic resemblance.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »

isn't second wave feminism mostly people like Dworkin, who are decidedly more nutty and odd than third-wavers?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »

I'm going to beat all you cowards with this one: I think Ted Cruz has a sort of ugly-cute appeal to him. Kind of like the blondish.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »

I think "innocent until proven guilty" should apply to sexual harassment/abuse cases as well. I have problems with people being immediately fired/forced to step down on mere accusation. And no, I'm not talking about Harvey Weinstein-style situation, when the dome broke quote literally.

I had a problem with people calling for Franken's immediate resignation after just one accusation of grouping. Though it turned out to look very bad for Franken indeed, I still oppose such quick and definitive calls on such early stages.

I agree with this. I find that a lot of people are dismissing the concept of innocent until proven guilty as one that is only relevant for the court of law, which troubles me. It is really something that can be weaponised on the part of powerful interests like the mass media and various disingenuous individuals e.g. the smearing of MLK's "abnormal sex life" by the FBI. Heck, given the attention in the past year on Russian trolling, I wouldn't be surprised if a group emerges in 2020 against the Democratic nominee (or their associates) along the lines of the Swiftboaters.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:11:19 PM »

Mick Jagger is ugly as hell. Someone has to say it.

the only reason he gets name-checked in songs a lot as a symbol of sex is because his name rhymes with "swagger". Nobody actually thinks he is sexy - even in his prime he was at best held an unconventional attractiveness.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »

there should be a worldwide government. Or, to be more precise, we already live under a world elite that is fragmented, shadowy and undemocratic; so a transparently elected government should be formed to tame them all. I think we have a problem that we automatically associate "one world governments" with nightmarish dystopias that crush humanity, but when we critically re-examine these assumptions there is no reason to think that a global government would be any more likely to collapse into despotism than nation-states.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »

I mean, the problem with the confederates wasn't that they were traitors, the issue was that their cause was being slavery. If the South had managed to annex the Carribbean and Mexico and make them slave states, the North would have been perfectly justified to rebel if slavery was foisted upon them. After all, we commend those who resisted the imposition of the Fugitive Slave Act.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:33:43 PM »

Right wingers use identity politics far more than liberals do.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »

Wind farms are, in terms of aesthetics, extremely elegant additions to the landscape.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 12:39:46 PM »

I can't stand generational warfare. This applies (obviously) to gurning morons with their heelarious gags about purple haired genderqueer crying because they didn't get a participation award in the tide pod eating competition (it takes some nerve for a fat old git staving off incontinence themself to make jokes about adults wearing diapers, all I'm saying); but more insidiously to "leftists" who blame everything from inequality to racism on the eeeevil cohort of baby boomers. I honestly don't understand this argument - it normally operates around a strange "ideal" baby boomer who took advantage of the last dregs of New Deal public programs, got everything handed to them on a plate, and then enriched themselves in the Reagan era by becoming a yuppie before retiring early in some awful suburb.

Not that this sort of person doesn't exist, but it strikes me as rank revisionism to imply every single baby boomer had this lovely life (especially considering  they'd have come of age in the austere and crisis-ridden 70s). Besides, it misdiagnoses the problem: if the issue of inequality was merely old people hoarding capital, the problem would actually solve itself as they die off and leave their wealth to their grandchildren. The people that are hoarding the capital are the wealthy, not the old - most old people live off pensions (and normally not great ones either). As a leftist, my empathy is naturally with the underprivileged old person living off a miserly stipend, not the members of my cohort that happily withdraw funds from their wealthy parents etc.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 03:59:38 AM »

The election of Trump has caused most of the red avatars' debating skills to lapse.

The attrition of left-wing posters like King, bedstuy, etc. to AAD also likely played a role here.

The latter is also gone from AAD nowadays: Twitter is his preferred mouthpiece (he's a vaguely popular #resistance member).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »

Being a workaholic (i.e. never being able to stop) is not something to be praised, but a personality disorder that will have serious effects on your family and health without notably increasing your productivity.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »

Being a workaholic (i.e. never being able to stop) is not something to be praised, but a personality disorder that will have serious effects on your family and health without notably increasing your productivity.

I wish this were more popular of a view, as I completely agree.  It seems to be worse in America than much of Europe, too.

It's common in Anglo-American capitalism, but even worse South Korea and Japan.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 03:00:28 PM »

The term "gaslighting" when used in the context of online debating is insulting to those who have actually been gaslit in an intimate relationship, and is 99% of the time a deflection from the actual argument.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 06:35:21 AM »

This isn't going to go well.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »

Most "previous poster" threads on this board are spam.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »

I think there was one thread asking posters' opinion of me but this is the first time I've seen someone call me terrible in this one.

It's a prank: the link just takes you to your own profile, not a specific user. (I think I was the first person to do it on Atlas, as far as I know)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 06:32:04 AM »

There are few things in this world quite as pleasurable as a nice, long, warm piss on a cold, rainy day.

Found the president’s account.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 05:50:11 AM »

It should be mandatory for girls under 20 to have an abortion if they get pregnant.
Jesus. You need Jesus.
Watching those teen mom type shows have convinced me that teenage girls are incapable of taking care of babies.

Hate to break this to you, but TV shows aren't real life. Yes, teenage parenthood is not ideal by any means, but the solution isn't a mandatory abortion.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 08:03:47 AM »

any body predicting elections two or more years in advance are wasting their time if they aren't talking about the relative results. So many wasted arguments on the 2020 board because the thread opener will be "will Trump win Wisconsin/will Peters be safe in Michigan etc" because people reiterate the same arguments about what they think the national race will look like, without thinking of the far more interesting questions: that of what the state results will be relative to the national vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies