Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:55:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society?
Yes

No

Not sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Is the belief in God ultimately harmful to society?  (Read 7453 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 15, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »

I don't claimed all social divides and conflicts arose from religion. My position is that it creates extra divides which leads to more conflicts. I think the whole Israel/Jerusalem situation is a good example of this - without the religious component a good deal of the reason for fighting and hostility would be lost.

Bunk.  You have an ethnic group which wanted reestablish an ethnic homeland after close to two millennia of it not being in existence and another ethnic group which feels that they were already there.  There is no reason to believe that the two groups would be any more amicable if there was no such thing as religion.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »

You can point to examples of ethnic groups remaining distinctive because of the influence of religion and you can point to examples of such groups amalgamating under said influence.  So without religion, maybe it would have been a different ethnic group trying to reclaim a different their homeland after suffering from genocide in the Second Pan-Terran War.

You're harping on the bad that religion does without crediting it for the good it does.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »

You're harping on the bad that religion does without crediting it for the good it does.

Seeing as my goal is to point out the bad that religion does, I don't see why I'm obligated to point out the supposed good it does, especially in consideration of the fact that the audience is already largely aware of it. It's not my job to make the other side's case for them.

Furthermore I don't particularly see much point in doing that because I don't think there's any real good religion does that can't be accomplished by secular means for secular reasons.

The question that was posed in the OP was not whether secularism can achieve the same good as religion.  It was whether religion is harmful, and that question cannot be honestly answered without giving full consideration to both the beneficial and harmful effects of religion as it is practiced in human societies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies