WalMart refuses to sell Playboy or Maxim but sells guns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:40:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WalMart refuses to sell Playboy or Maxim but sells guns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Should WalMart sell Playboy?/Should WalMart sell guns?
Yes/Yes
Yes/No
No/Yes
No/No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: WalMart refuses to sell Playboy or Maxim but sells guns  (Read 15435 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2005, 04:06:36 PM »

You sure shop for groceries and such a lot angus.  I must admit I never enter grocery stores - prefer to dine in restaurants.

Visiting a normal grocery store (in St. Louis the Shnucks chain) is only mildly depressing, but going into Walmart is such a display of America's new third-world standard of living - fat poor people struggle through the aisles of garbage - that I really can't manage it more than once every few months.

Your figure that a majority of American's over $24,700 voted for Bush is dismaying.  I think the cut off at which it would make sense to vote for him would be about $150,000-200,000 or so.  One wonders when people will notice their own self-interests.
Yes, I'm sure everyone beloew $150000 is interested in living in a stagnated economy.

Hah, what a baseless claim! 

I learned from the master.

How do you explain the fact that both the American and European economies grew much faster during the more Keynesian redistriubutionist post-WWII era than in the laissez-faire era of the last 25 years?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2005, 04:08:38 PM »

You sure shop for groceries and such a lot angus.  I must admit I never enter grocery stores - prefer to dine in restaurants.

Visiting a normal grocery store (in St. Louis the Shnucks chain) is only mildly depressing, but going into Walmart is such a display of America's new third-world standard of living - fat poor people struggle through the aisles of garbage - that I really can't manage it more than once every few months.

Your figure that a majority of American's over $24,700 voted for Bush is dismaying.  I think the cut off at which it would make sense to vote for him would be about $150,000-200,000 or so.  One wonders when people will notice their own self-interests.
Yes, I'm sure everyone beloew $150000 is interested in living in a stagnated economy.

How do you explain the fact that both the American and European economies grew much faster during the more Keynesian redistriubutionist post-WWII era than in the laissez-faire era of the last 25 years?
Reconstruction.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2005, 04:10:02 PM »

Reconstruction.

Pshaw.  Redistribution.  We could recreate the same conditions with the stroke of a pen right now.

(admittedly redistribution and 'reconstruction' are part of the same overall function - taking from the owning class and giving to the working class)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2005, 04:24:38 PM »

It is definitely working for Europe.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2005, 04:26:45 PM »

It is definitely working for Europe.

Yes, the working class is much better off in Europe than in the United States.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2005, 07:17:23 PM »

I prefer daily shopping to weekly, as bread and vegetables are fresher that way.  And I rarely enter restaurants, as I prefer food that tastes good and my wife and I are, respectively, the second-best and the best cooks I know.  But when I am into the weekly shopping, Wal-mart can't be beat.  Fat people struggling through garbage is more synonymous with those lazy bastards who pay extra and let others cook for them, and take taxis and pay whores to f**ck them, rather than those who shop for fresh foods and prepare it themselves, and walk or bicycle, and generally out-alpha the nerdy guys for the best lay.  Strange mind you have there, boss.  But I suppose we all have our own definition of "depressing."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2005, 07:29:37 PM »

I prefer daily shopping to weekly, as bread and vegetables are fresher that way.  And I rarely enter restaurants, as I prefer food that tastes good and my wife and I are, respectively, the second-best and the best cooks I know.  But when I am into the weekly shopping, Wal-mart can't be beat.  Fat people struggling through garbage is more synonymous with those lazy bastards who pay extra and let others cook for them, and take taxis and pay whores to f**ck them, rather than those who shop for fresh foods and prepare it themselves, and walk or bicycle, and generally out-alpha the nerdy guys for the best lay.  Strange mind you have there, boss.  But I suppose we all have our own definition of "depressing."

We must be going into different Walmarts, as the ones here in Missouri are full of fat poor people.  But I meant that as no reflection on you, angus.  Obviously you have the world by the tail.

I will certainly admit that restaurant food in the US is very poor, though since I cannot cook (and don't wish to learn) the best I can do is carefully select the least bad.  And wait for my return to paradise..

Lastly, I hardly think being depressed by Walmart is 'strange'..  nor is the belief that it contains fat people.  Such is a very commonplace view of the chain.. nearly a stereotype.  I'm reminded of many Simpson's-esque cartoon shows in which a character experiences big-box despair while wandering those aisles.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2005, 08:06:08 PM »

It's really exacerbating to actually try to have an intelligent conversation with you opebo.  And it's particularly frustrating since I know you cannot possibly be as dense, or as insensitive, or as hypocritical as you put on.  You're toying with me and all the rest of us.  Nevertheless, I have allowed you to get the better of me.  I didn't come here to get bothered, but I just cannot take this ridiculous anti-walmart hysteria sitting down.  That's the one thing that really gets my blood boiling these days.  Wal-mart bashing.  Maybe it's best if I just log off before I say something really offensive.  Good night.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2005, 09:09:42 PM »

hell, I've probably even seen judgemental, narrow-minded, illogical, whoremongering, pathetic weasles who spend most of our time in third world countries with women they have to pay to talk to just because they don't have any idea of how carry on conversations with intelligent westerners.

LOL, that was classic.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2005, 09:16:42 PM »

They should be allowed to sell both, but they've got their own choice, for crying out loud. If Wal-Mart doesn't stock it, someone else would.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2005, 10:36:36 PM »

hell, I've probably even seen judgemental, narrow-minded, illogical, whoremongering, pathetic weasles who spend most of our time in third world countries with women they have to pay to talk to just because they don't have any idea of how carry on conversations with intelligent westerners.

LOL, that was classic.

Yes, actually it was pretty funny.. except for one thing - I don't pay them to carry on conversations.  And oddly enough I have lots of 'intelligent conversations' with female friends in the US.  There seems to be little connection between the two things.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2005, 10:49:05 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2014, 03:46:12 PM by True Federalist »

It's really exacerbating to actually try to have an intelligent conversation with you opebo.  And it's particularly frustrating since I know you cannot possibly be as dense, or as insensitive, or as hypocritical as you put on.  You're toying with me and all the rest of us.

That used to piss me off too, angus, until I realized that he's just ing with us. That knowledge puts his posts in a new light, and now I can expect a good chuckle when reading his posts.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2005, 10:52:21 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2014, 03:45:56 PM by True Federalist »

It's really exacerbating to actually try to have an intelligent conversation with you opebo.  And it's particularly frustrating since I know you cannot possibly be as dense, or as insensitive, or as hypocritical as you put on.  You're toying with me and all the rest of us.

That used to piss me off too, angus, until I realized that he's just g with us. That knowledge puts his posts in a new light, and now I can expect a good chuckle when reading his posts.

You guys are talking about two separate issues.  Do I enjoy a fine argument, some banter?  Sure I do.  But I believe everything I say, and particularly my comments on sexual matters.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2005, 10:53:07 PM »

Sure you do. Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2005, 10:57:33 PM »

Any tolerant person would.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2005, 05:22:42 AM »

ah, I think I meant exasperating, not exacerbating.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2005, 08:10:12 AM »

youre tolerant?

you bash religious people constantly.

you bash americans.

you speak with a condescending tone about 'fat poor people' youve seen in wal mart.

youve stated that black people smell bad and that youd ont care for them.

yes, you are overflowing with tolerance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2005, 10:31:39 PM »

Yes, theirs is a bash-worthy ideology of intolerance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Only for living badly and abusing non-Americans (as well as poor americans).

Well, they are fat, and I saw them in Walmart.  What am I supposed to say?  They were reubenesque?

I said I'm not very prone to attraction to black girls..  I don't know why you keep misquoting.  And most poor smell bad, it isn't really fair to say black poor smell worse than white poor.

Yes, it is true.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2005, 06:25:31 PM »

opebo's good ol' days:

I realize that it is merely a symbolic metaphor...but I don't see why it is. Shopping at Walmart is not good for America.

I realize nationalist doesn't mean protectionist. I didn't say that it did. Walmart doesn't support nationalism either. Yes, they bring in money to their corporate coffers from their foreign stores. However, I don't see them doing much to invest that money back into the communities in which they set up shop. They are a leading contributor to suburban sprawl by almost always locating at the edge of cities, and by slashing prices and they drive smaller mom-and-pop stores out of business. That decreases competition, which is the essence of a free market system. That doesn't seem very pro-American. I could also mention the recent scandals that they have had hiring illegal immigrants and forcing their workers to work overtime without overtime pay and working without the mandatory 15-minutes-every 4 hours breaks...but I'll save that for another day.

I realize what you meant with your metaphor and hyperbole, but I just needed to point out that Wal-Mart is, overall, not helping this country. So it doesn't make any sense that someone who prides themselves on being a patriotic American would be proud of shopping at Walmart. The true American Dream is not to buy the cheapest possible products, it is in small business--the corner stores and specialty shops which invest all of the money that they earn back into this country rather than shipping it overseas. The idea that every one of us, from the bottom of the economic ladder on up, can afford to become an entrepreneur and start our own business without having to worry about being driven out of the market by the Walmarts of the world.

Sorry, I know you didn't want this to get started from such an innocous little statement, but I just felt it necessary to let off a little steam. Smiley

Walmart has done more to increase the standard of living - through cheap prices - than any other single organization of the last 20-30 years.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2005, 06:35:19 PM »

Walmart has done more to increase the standard of living - through cheap prices - than any other single organization of the last 20-30 years.

Priceless!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2005, 10:08:56 PM »

Priceless!

Well, my statement is obviously true, though it only applies to those who have money in the new laissez-faire society - the owners.  The working class have had their wages reduced comparably to the lowering of prices provided by walmart.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2005, 10:09:44 PM »

Priceless!

Well, my statement is obviously true, though it only applies to those who have money in the new laissez-faire society - the owners.  The working class have had their wages reduced comparably to the lowering of prices provided by walmart.

Real compensation has been consistently rising over past decades.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2005, 10:11:29 PM »

Priceless!

Real compensation has been consistently rising over past decades.

Aha!  But its distribution has become so much more unequal that the great majority of people are much worse off.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies