Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:07:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 129063 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2019, 06:57:52 PM »

Looking forward to all the BernieBros refusing to vote for some equally progressive dem when Bernie loses the primary.

Didnt happen in 2016, I really doubt it will happen in 2020.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »

Looking forward to all the BernieBros refusing to vote for some equally progressive dem when Bernie loses the primary.

Didnt happen in 2016, I really doubt it will happen in 2020.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2019, 07:06:12 PM »

It's been repeated countless times, but I'll say it again: More Sanders 2016 supporters voted for Clinton that Clinton 2008 supporters voted for Obama.

OK? 2008 was a huge realignment for most old southern democrats, moving into the republican fold.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2019, 07:16:04 PM »

Who is this guy and why should we care about his conspiracy theories?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »

Young and fresh-faced Beto O'Rourke will steal his shine!

O'Rourke's a ex-three term Congressman who's only qualification is that he made a race against Ted Cruz.

And Obama was a first term senator whose only qualification was beating Alan Keyes.

Yeah, if you can't spot the difference between O'Rourke and Obama, then I don't know what to do.

And no, I do not mean their skin colour before someone decides to call me racist.

Please inform us.

I love how GOTfan never answered this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2019, 07:38:19 PM »

Who is this guy and why should we care about his conspiracy theories?

You know, former DNC chair Ed Rendell said he would support an independent Bloomberg run if Bernie got the nomination?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »

Looking forward to all the establishment hacks flocking to the Howard Schultz/Michael Bloomberg independence ticket when Bernie Sanders crushes all comers in the Democratic primary.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2019, 12:48:46 AM »

Looking forward to all the establishment hacks flocking to the Howard Schultz/Michael Bloomberg independence ticket when Bernie Sanders crushes all comers in the Democratic primary.
Is that why he is at 16% with universal name rec, behind creepy uncle joe?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2019, 12:51:32 AM »

I definitely won't be voting for him, it's time for someone new
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #184 on: January 27, 2019, 12:53:22 AM »

I always believe polls one calendar year before the voters head to the Iowa caucus, they're literally the most accurate
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2019, 05:02:34 AM »

Young and fresh-faced Beto O'Rourke will steal his shine!

O'Rourke's a ex-three term Congressman who's only qualification is that he made a race against Ted Cruz.

And Obama was a first term senator whose only qualification was beating Alan Keyes.

Yeah, if you can't spot the difference between O'Rourke and Obama, then I don't know what to do.

And no, I do not mean their skin colour before someone decides to call me racist.

Please inform us.

I love how GOTfan never answered this.

Probably because I have a life outside this forum.

If you can point to O'Rourke giving a Convention speech that was similar in reception to the one Obama gave in 2004, then maybe I'll listen.

I also don't remember Obama getting a 47% rating from the Chamber of Commerce, or GovTrack putting him near the centre of the Democratic party.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2019, 11:23:38 AM »

I know that the stereotypical Sanders supporter might be a college kid with no previous investment in politics, but some of us have been involved with the Democratic Party for a while. I've seen plenty of people "loyal to the Democratic Party" fail to deliver on the promise of a progressive agenda time and time again, despite promises to voters.

So, I'm not going to wade through this thread because it's probably the same garbage I've been reading for the last two years, but this post jumped out at me and I wanted to make one point:

I won't speak for other people but as far as the Bernie-sticker-on-a-macbook stereotype goes, I think it's worth distinguishing between Bernie supporters and "BernieBros". Obviously Bernie had a coalition of voters that wasn't made up of a single demographic - it's self-evident that anybody who gets 46% of a nationwide vote will assemble a diversity of supporters.

The difference I've experienced, at least anecdotally in my own life but it fits in with a lot of other patterns, is that although Bernie supporters come from lots of different backgrounds, the intransigent and caustic BernieBro-types are all more homogeneous. This type of person tends to be a white male, predominantly younger (Millenial-age, but not exclusively), and in my experience at least college educated. The non-white, high school educated, and/or female/trans Bernie primary voters I've known were much more likely to accept the outcome of the election and vote for Hillary with little resistance. The obnoxious, aggressive Bernie supporters insistent on ideological purity were overwhelmingly white dudes who weren't used to not getting what they wanted. Spend a day on Twitter and the overwhelming majority of red rose douches you see will in fact be bearded, white-collared white men.

I won't speak for other people but I've never accepted the narrative that Bernie was solely the candidate of college students (although there's a reason why when he campaigned for Hillary he went predominantly to places like Ann Arbor, Madison, etc.) but when you're making the argument you're making it's useful to distinguish between the average Bernie supporter and the Bernie Bro. Same goes, it should be said, for the difference between Trump's Base and Trump Voters.

And for the record I've softened on Bernie in the last three years. Not my first choice for the nomination, and I still find BernieBros cancerous, but I like him more now than I did in 2016.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »

I always believe polls one calendar year before the voters head to the Iowa caucus, they're literally the most accurate

So you believe that Sanders will in the next year increase his name recognition and subsequently his numbers.
I don't know but there might a problem with that strategy.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2019, 01:32:41 PM »

I did not support him in 2016 and my opinion of him as a leader has only deteriorated since.  He did an absolutely terrible job uniting his supporters behind Clinton, his record on gun control and Russia is abysmal, he clearly doesn't understand racism and misogyny, his ego is the size of Mars, and I believe it's incredibly disingenuous of him to ask to represent the Democratic Party when he hasn't even put in his time as a member like every other person in the field.

I'll vote and even organize for him (as I would any other Democratic nominee) if he's chosen, but as far as the primary goes he's in the bottom of the barrel with Gabbard for me. I'm especially interested in Warren, Castro, and Buttigieg, but please give me literally anyone else besides Saint Bernard or Ethnonationalist Tulsi.
Jags
Rookie

« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »

I did not support him in 2016 and my opinion of him as a leader has only deteriorated since.  He did an absolutely terrible job uniting his supporters behind Clinton, his record on gun control and Russia is abysmal, he clearly doesn't understand racism and misogyny, his ego is the size of Mars, and I believe it's incredibly disingenuous of him to ask to represent the Democratic Party when he hasn't even put in his time as a member like every other person in the field.

I'll vote and even organize for him (as I would any other Democratic nominee) if he's chosen, but as far as the primary goes he's in the bottom of the barrel with Gabbard for me. I'm especially interested in Warren, Castro, and Buttigieg, but please give me literally anyone else besides Saint Bernard or Ethnonationalist Tulsi.
Is that what Peter Daou and Neera Tanden told you to do?
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »

Is that what Peter Daou and Neera Tanden told you to do?

I'm very much a freethinker, thanks, now **** off.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: January 27, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »

quote author=TarHeelDem link=topic=312152.msg6643845#msg6643845 date=1548613961]

[/quote]

My god.....

Its not true, its simply not true. Sanders' base went to Clinton 91-9, which is the best retention rate since 2000.

Seriously, Ive made this same comment about 3 times on this thread. Its simply not true.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #192 on: January 27, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »

Sanders' base went to Clinton 91-9, which is the best retention rate since 2000.

Seriously, Ive made this same comment about 3 times on this thread. Its simply not true.

I'm assuming from the 100% total there that the 91%-9% figure is between Clinton and Trump only and does not include Stein, Johnson, write-in votes, and abstentions.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: January 27, 2019, 02:16:51 PM »

My god.....

Its not true, its simply not true. Sanders' base went to Clinton 91-9, which is the best retention rate since 2000.

What is the source for this by the way? I don't believe Sanders supporters went neatly 91-9 for Clinton and Trump.

And Sanders supporters could have stayed home because their leader kept perpetuating that the election was stolen from them and vowed to fight her nomination up until 2 weeks before the convention. He definitely sowed discord and to argue otherwise is disingenuous.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: January 27, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2019, 02:23:56 PM by Senator Zaybay »

Sanders' base went to Clinton 91-9, which is the best retention rate since 2000.

I'm assuming from the 100% total there that the 91%-9% figure is between Clinton and Trump only and does not include Stein, Johnson, write-in votes, and abstentions.

You are right, found the Stein/Johnson numbers

If we are to talk about abstentions, the percentage is 4%. So, out of the 100% of Sanders voters, 4% stayed home, 12% voted for Trump, 78% voted for Clinton, and 6% for a 3rd party.

This puts Sanders voters below 2012 GOP voters, but above GOP 2016, 2008, 2000, and DEM 2008, 2004, and 2000.

So, still not really that much.

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »

My god.....

What is the source for this by the way? I don't believe Sanders supporters went neatly 91-9 for Clinton and Trump.

And Sanders supporters could have stayed home because their leader kept perpetuating that the election was stolen from them and vowed to fight her nomination up until 2 weeks before the convention. He definitely sowed discord and to argue otherwise is disingenuous.

Its easily searchable information.

Heres a graph of the numbers

Sorry, your narrative that the Sanders voters didnt vote en masse due to the fact that they didnt have their god emperor just doesnt line up with reality.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2019, 02:41:52 PM by RFKFan68 »

My god.....

Its easily searchable information.

Heres a graph of the numbers

Sorry, your narrative that the Sanders voters didnt vote en masse due to the fact that they didnt have their god emperor just doesnt line up with reality.
It's not just his supporters it's also about how his refusal to concede until 6 weeks after the last primary vote was held and perpetuating that the primary was rigged and stolen affected Clinton's image to the general electorate..... and no he didn't have to kiss her ass or not criticize her while they were competing but he continued to do it when he was mathematically eliminated and it was clear that Hillary was going to be on the ballot in November. Sanders's behavior affected the general, I don't care what graphs and figures you post.

ETA: Not saying he is THE REASON she lost or that she didn't do things wrong herself. Her loss was a death of a thousand cuts.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »

If we are to talk about abstentions, the percentage is 4%. So, out of the 100% of Sanders voters, 4% stayed home, 12% voted for Trump, 78% voted for Clinton, and 6% for a 3rd party.

This puts Sanders voters below 2012 GOP voters, but above GOP 2016, 2008, 2000, and DEM 2008, 2004, and 2000.

Wait, how did you go from 91%/9% to 78% Clinton / 12% Trump / 10% 3rd party or didn't vote?  What does the 91/9 represent?

Also, a later tweet in that thread:

https://twitter.com/aaron_strauss/status/900361632747896834

shows that 78% is lower than the comparable number for GOP 2008.  I don't know how it compares to the others without tracking down whatever original source this guy was quoting.

TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

While only 78% of Sanders primary voters voting for Clinton in the general is alarming enough, one also has to consider how his behavior and characterization of her supported the decision of Indies (many of whom did not participate in the Dem primary) and moderate GOPers to hold their noses and vote for Trump or stay home altogether. Examining Sanders primary voters alone tells part of the story of his leadership but not a full one.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »

Wait, how did you go from 91%/9% to 78% Clinton / 12% Trump / 10% 3rd party or didn't vote?  What does the 91/9 represent?

Also, a later tweet in that thread:

https://twitter.com/aaron_strauss/status/900361632747896834

shows that 78% is lower than the comparable number for GOP 2008.  I don't know how it compares to the others without tracking down whatever original source this guy was quoting.

I was using a different source for the original numbers, one that didnt include abstains and 3rd parties, so just disregard the original.

Also, havent seen this source for 2008 GOP, very interesting. That would mean the GOP has generally been more united after a primary than the Dems(makes a lot of sense saying it out loud).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies