COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:52:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 306 307 308 309 ... 456
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 6: Return of the Omicron  (Read 538530 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7575 on: November 25, 2021, 04:22:56 PM »

Good news: everyone is gonna get immunity by the Spring.
Bad news:

*Caveat first: data here is *very* preliminary, so everything could change.

I always wondered whether there's a certain limit when it comes to being more and more infectious? Even more so than Delta would be insane, and even cause more trouble if vaccines aren't as effective anymore. While the vaccine can be properly adjusted, it would still require everyone to get another shot in a few months.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7576 on: November 25, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »

Bad news:

Holy f**king s**t f**k this all! This is just going to get worse and worse until it becomes the Black Death level of catastrophe f**k the Malthusians were right we are all f**ked.

Oh my gosh it’s over this is the end of the era of progress we are entering a dark period for a few decades, gosh why couldn’t I have been born a few decades earlier.
Hollywood
« Reply #7577 on: November 25, 2021, 04:30:43 PM »

Portugal re-instituting restrictive Covid-19 requirements as high vaccinations rates, because high vaccinations rates are not working.  Face Masks are required in indoor spaces, and the inoculated must present a negative Covid-19 test to enter facilities.  https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-11-25/portugal-returns-to-covid-restrictions-despite-high-jab-rate

Government wants people isolated if possible, citing seasonal virus conditions reduce the immune response.  Damn good theory if I say so myself.  

I've been interested in viral infections since I was a 16 year-old EMT, and I haven't caught many colds since that time.  I only get sick for a two or three days.  I've driven my family members to the antibody center three times without catching Covid-19 cause I know how to keep myself from infection.  Obviously, open the damn window for the passenger to breath out, and your own window for your own clean air.  Take a hot shower when you get home while inhaling and sipping boiled tea.  

If you live in the Great Lakes, Ohio Valley, and Northeast, the seasonal conditions ripe for Covid-19 will arrive tomorrow, and a second wave will push through between the 28-30.  Stay Home, Stay Moist, Stay Safe.  If you feel a scratchy throat, start drinking hot tea in a hot bath.  Schedule a Covid-19 test.  If you have it, get the antibodies.  
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #7578 on: November 25, 2021, 04:36:55 PM »

Am I wrong that at this point we should basically be treating covid like we treat the flu (i.e. healthy people should just get a vaccine once a year and then mostly forget about it)?  I have seen absolutely no evidence that covid is more dangerous than the flu if you are otherwise healthy and up to date on your vaccinations.
Hollywood
« Reply #7579 on: November 25, 2021, 04:37:41 PM »

Bad news:

Holy f**king s**t f**k this all! This is just going to get worse and worse until it becomes the Black Death level of catastrophe f**k the Malthusians were right we are all f**ked.

Oh my gosh it’s over this is the end of the era of progress we are entering a dark period for a few decades, gosh why couldn’t I have been born a few decades earlier.

No.  We're not.  There's a very good reason the vaccines aren't bullet proof against Covid-19 as opposed to influenza.  I've forgot that reason, because I'm not a genius.  But it's a good one.  

The best approach is biologics that help the host resist serious infection for five days while the body builds its own natural immunity.  It's a safer option than vaccines, because it protects people with lung and heart disease, as well as cancer and other conditions.  
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7580 on: November 25, 2021, 04:38:36 PM »

Bad news:

No.  We're not.  There's a very good reason the vaccines aren't bullet proof against Covid-19 as opposed to influenza.  I've forgot that reason, because I'm not a genius.  But it's a good one.  

The best approach is biologics that help the host resist serious infection for five days while the body builds its own natural immunity.  It's a safer option than vaccines, because it protects people with lung and heart disease, as well as cancer and other conditions.  
There is one thing right in your post, go find it.
Hollywood
« Reply #7581 on: November 25, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »

Bad news:

There is one thing right in your post, go find it.

No time.  News coming in too fast. 

Riots in the Solomon Islands after lockdown.  Government Buildings are being set ablaze. 
https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/soloman-islands-rise-up-government-buildings-set-on-fire/
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7582 on: November 25, 2021, 04:53:30 PM »

Am I wrong that at this point we should basically be treating covid like we treat the flu (i.e. healthy people should just get a vaccine once a year and then mostly forget about it)?  I have seen absolutely no evidence that covid is more dangerous than the flu if you are otherwise healthy and up to date on your vaccinations.

You would be correct with a high immunity rate of >85%, but most countries aren't there yet for a number of different reasons. The problem with just treating this like the flu, ergo let infections go, is that when too many infections happen at the same time, too many patients need to get hospitalized. It's always about 5% who seriously get sick. And 5% of several thousand infections per day is still an insane high number. Such a massive virus spread, especially among unvaccinated, inevitably causes the collapse or overload of hospitals sooner or later, which again also impacts patients with other diseases like heart attacks or cancer or treatment for victims of accidents etc. This is currently happening in parts of Germany and elsewhere, despite a good healthcare system.

Covid also has a higher mortality than the flu (1% vs. about 0.1%).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7583 on: November 25, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »

Bad news:

I always wondered whether there's a certain limit when it comes to being more and more infectious? Even more so than Delta would be insane, and even cause more trouble if vaccines aren't as effective anymore. While the vaccine can be properly adjusted, it would still require everyone to get another shot in a few months.

Delta variant has (last I heard) an R-value of 6 to 7.  In contrast, measles is 15 to 18 -- so yes, diseases can be a lot more infectious than the COVID variants we've already seen.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7584 on: November 25, 2021, 05:17:50 PM »

Imagine social distancing almost two years after the pandemic hit the states. Lmao. Don't think so. Go enjoy your families weirdos.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7585 on: November 25, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2021, 05:47:46 PM by roxas11 »

I said before and I will say it again this is the worst thing that could have ever happened to Humanity....

There is doubt in my mind that social media played a destructive role during this pandemic. Because of sites like Facebook being Anti-Vax and Anti-Mask became mainstream among politicians and certain celebrities. Even Red state governors nowadays seem to quickly jump on Twitter or Facebook in order to tell their voters that they are passing laws against vaccine mandates and requiring kids to wear masks

something like that would have never happened in the 90s and because of these social media websites disinformation about mask and vaccines spread faster among people than the delta virus ever did

I honestly believe that we would have never gotten rid of Polio had it showed during the Facebook era
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7586 on: November 25, 2021, 06:26:01 PM »

Am I wrong that at this point we should basically be treating covid like we treat the flu (i.e. healthy people should just get a vaccine once a year and then mostly forget about it)?  I have seen absolutely no evidence that covid is more dangerous than the flu if you are otherwise healthy and up to date on your vaccinations.

You would be correct with a high immunity rate of >85%, but most countries aren't there yet for a number of different reasons. The problem with just treating this like the flu, ergo let infections go, is that when too many infections happen at the same time, too many patients need to get hospitalized. It's always about 5% who seriously get sick. And 5% of several thousand infections per day is still an insane high number. Such a massive virus spread, especially among unvaccinated, inevitably causes the collapse or overload of hospitals sooner or later, which again also impacts patients with other diseases like heart attacks or cancer or treatment for victims of accidents etc. This is currently happening in parts of Germany and elsewhere, despite a good healthcare system.

It doesn’t seem to me like covid mortality rate is anything close to 1% among vaccinated people.  The UK has been running a covid CFR of around 0.3% for at least the last 4 months.  And this isn’t even accounting for the Pfizer pill, which is sounds like will reduce the mortality rate by another factor of 10.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7587 on: November 25, 2021, 06:37:07 PM »

It doesn’t seem to me like covid mortality rate is anything close to 1% among vaccinated people.  The UK has been running a covid CFR of around 0.3% for at least the last 4 months.  And this isn’t even accounting for the Pfizer pill, which is sounds like will reduce the mortality rate by another factor of 10.

Yeah. And the covid vaccine is much more effective than flu vaccine. CFR_vaccinated against covid is probably even lower than CFR_vaccinated against flu. Now, given higher R/lower total immunity the chance to get covid is probably higher, thus the overall chance to die from covid is probably somewhat higher than the chance to die from flu. Without the booster that is, with booster covid is [much?] less dangerous than flu.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7588 on: November 25, 2021, 06:55:03 PM »

Defund, abolish, and indict for negligent homicide the leadership of the CDC and FDA immediately.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7589 on: November 25, 2021, 07:04:06 PM »

Defund, abolish, and indict for negligent homicide the leadership of the CDC and FDA immediately.

Why does Biden allow this almost criminal sluggishness? We all know, that had Trump been in office, he'd fire Fauci and force them to approve TRUMP PILLS. Moreover, Beautiful TRUMP PILLS would be sent for free to everyone by mail (excluding Enemy of the People - no TRUMP PILLS for them).
Hollywood
« Reply #7590 on: November 25, 2021, 07:31:55 PM »

I said before and I will say it again this is the worst thing that could have ever happened to Humanity....

There is doubt in my mind that social media played a destructive role during this pandemic. Because of sites like Facebook being Anti-Vax and Anti-Mask became mainstream among politicians and certain celebrities. Even Red state governors nowadays seem to quickly jump on Twitter or Facebook in order to tell their voters that they are passing laws against vaccine mandates and requiring kids to wear masks

something like that would have never happened in the 90s and because of these social media websites disinformation about mask and vaccines spread faster among people than the delta virus ever did

I honestly believe that we would have never gotten rid of Polio had it showed during the Facebook era

You’re a silly goose.  I remember when Biden blamed his failure to reach vaccination goals on Facebook earlier this summer, because that’s been his game for the last year.  I have such a vivid memory of it.  

So Biden and other Democrats told people not to take the vaccination in November and December of last year cause it was acquired by Trump, and he’s not to be trusted in any regard.  Then Biden and the Democrats tried to take credit for his vaccine accomplishment.  https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/07/31/cdcr-j31.html

Then you had the Biden Administration fabricate this nonsense about the vaccinated not being able to contract or spread Covid-19, but the unvaccinated people were capable of transferring it to vaccinated people, somehow.   Everyone knew he was lying, because there was data from overseas that was being suppressed by scientific journals and news outlets.  Suddenly, Fauci starts claiming that they just received this study demonstrating that vaccinated people can spread Covid-19.  
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/07/31/cdcr-j31.html

Also, the premise of your argument is such crap, because countries like Portugal have an 86% vaccination rate, and still can’t get handle on Covid-19.  I won’t believe it until the Administration provides total transparency to the public when it comes to the data collected by patients.  No time in the Trump Administration was it ever so bad that we weren’t getting such shoddy information.  The only party that hid Covid-19 cases and deaths was the Democrats in New York, so they could cover up the nursing home deaths.  Yet, Democrats still lie about DeSantis hiding data.  No.  Democrats have a track record of lying about vital data, so they need to bend over backwards to accommodate the suspicions of the American people.  
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cuomo-aides-overruled-health-officials-in-bid-to-hide-nursing-home-deaths-report/ar-BB1gaWrW

What about your misinformation?  Why is it your party was telling BLM guys that they could express their first amendment rights last year, but Jews expressing their rights in NYC needed to be rounded up?  Why is it okay that Democrats are allowed to violently riot and campaign, but Republicans aren’t allowed?  Why are the Trump supporters that go attend a rally super-spreaders, but violent protestors attempting an insurrection at the White House just a peaceful protestors?   It’s clear that the Democrat Party’s only move is lying when it’s convenient and blaming others when they don’t trust you for lying.  Democrats had a recovering economy, vaccine and numerous other treatments, and majority-proof Senate.  But Biden’s Administration could handle a single problem.  The guy finally realized that he screwed himself and destroyed his legacy by picking a fight with the Saudis (ally) and Russians when he needed them more than any other nation.  Respectfully, the Democrats can go F-off.  They do have no right to expect others to trust their judgment.  

I’ve literally heard all your talking points from earlier this summer.  I continue to encourage Democrats to blame everyone they can for Biden’s failure.   Keep blaming Trump.  I’m going to laugh on election night when Democrats are crying when Donald J. Trump is re-elected President.  I didn’t think Democrats could pull it off.  

Hollywood
« Reply #7591 on: November 25, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »

Why does Biden allow this almost criminal sluggishness? We all know, that had Trump been in office, he'd fire Fauci and force them to approve TRUMP PILLS. Moreover, Beautiful TRUMP PILLS would be sent for free to everyone by mail (excluding Enemy of the People - no TRUMP PILLS for them).

Who gives a damn?  He can call it whatever he damn pleases. The reason the US actually has options is due to Trump's handling of that particular issue. 

I think Fauci should be tried for crimes against humanity.  We should make a law that deters people like Fauci from funding or working on Frankenstein viruses that are mutated to be more dangerous and contagious to human beings.  At least not overseas.  Who the F thinks that's okay?  Oh right.  The A-Holes that were doing fist pumps cause they thought Democrats might replace Biden with Murderer Cuomo.   

roxas11
United States

« Reply #7592 on: November 25, 2021, 07:53:33 PM »

Actually the Trump administration ultimately declined to fund the antiviral covid pill by Merck. the drug was first presented to the Trump administration in the fall of 2019 but one group of HHS officials was pushing for the federal government to fund what they saw as a promising new drug. Another group was skeptical of the data available, and the process by which the funding was being requested.

This fight lead to Trump administration not funding the pill and In late February of last year, the Emory researcher and Ridgeback Biotherapeutics asked for federal funding of the drug again, but Officials fought again, and ultimately once again declined to fund the drug.

https://www.axios.com/before-merck-backed-covid-antiviral-trump-admin-turned-it-down-e8bdc409-0f3d-44e6-9a74-14ec0ed60c78.html

This decsion's actually delayed the development of the drug.

roxas11
United States

« Reply #7593 on: November 25, 2021, 08:17:41 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2021, 08:46:08 PM by roxas11 »

You’re a silly goose.  I remember when Biden blamed his failure to reach vaccination goals on Facebook earlier this summer, because that’s been his game for the last year.  I have such a vivid memory of it.  

So Biden and other Democrats told people not to take the vaccination in November and December of last year cause it was acquired by Trump, and he’s not to be trusted in any regard.  Then Biden and the Democrats tried to take credit for his vaccine accomplishment.  https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/07/31/cdcr-j31.html

Then you had the Biden Administration fabricate this nonsense about the vaccinated not being able to contract or spread Covid-19, but the unvaccinated people were capable of transferring it to vaccinated people, somehow.   Everyone knew he was lying, because there was data from overseas that was being suppressed by scientific journals and news outlets.  Suddenly, Fauci starts claiming that they just received this study demonstrating that vaccinated people can spread Covid-19.  

Also, the premise of your argument is such crap, because countries like Portugal have an 86% vaccination rate, and still can’t get handle on Covid-19.  I won’t believe it until the Administration provides total transparency to the public when it comes to the data collected by patients.  No time in the Trump Administration was it ever so bad that we weren’t getting such shoddy information.  The only party that hid Covid-19 cases and deaths was the Democrats in New York, so they could cover up the nursing home deaths.  Yet, Democrats still lie about DeSantis hiding data.  No.  Democrats have a track record of lying about vital data, so they need to bend over backwards to accommodate the suspicions of the American people.  
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cuomo-aides-overruled-health-officials-in-bid-to-hide-nursing-home-deaths-report/ar-BB1gaWrW

What about your misinformation?  Why is it your party was telling BLM guys that they could express their first amendment rights last year, but Jews expressing their rights in NYC needed to be rounded up?  Why is it okay that Democrats are allowed to violently riot and campaign, but Republicans aren’t allowed?  Why are the Trump supporters that go attend a rally super-spreaders, but violent protestors attempting an insurrection at the White House just a peaceful protestors?   It’s clear that the Democrat Party’s only move is lying when it’s convenient and blaming others when they don’t trust you for lying.  Democrats had a recovering economy, vaccine and numerous other treatments, and majority-proof Senate.  But Biden’s Administration could handle a single problem.  The guy finally realized that he screwed himself and destroyed his legacy by picking a fight with the Saudis (ally) and Russians when he needed them more than any other nation.  Respectfully, the Democrats can go F-off.  They do have no right to expect others to trust their judgment.  

I’ve literally heard all your talking points from earlier this summer.  I continue to encourage Democrats to blame everyone they can for Biden’s failure.   Keep blaming Trump.  I’m going to laugh on election night when Democrats are crying when Donald J. Trump is re-elected President.  I didn’t think Democrats could pull it off.  

Call me, whatever you like
I stand by my view that nothing good has come of giving these men all of this power

Even trump himself sees just how powerful the CEO of twitter is. Rather, you agree with trump or not I think it's terrifying that these men literally have the power to silence the president if they really wanted to. Angela Merkel is no trump fan, but even she saw that it was problematic that twitter has the power to permanently suspend a president if they do not like what that president has to say

Letting these social media platforms get increasingly more powerful is a threat to all of us no matter which side of the aisle you are on. I think we can all agree that Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey should have a level of power that they currently have
Hollywood
« Reply #7594 on: November 25, 2021, 08:20:56 PM »

New Covid Variant is Resistent to vaccines.  It has already made it to London.  The WHO is freaking out.  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/25/who-calls-special-meeting-to-discuss-new-covid-variant-from-south-africa-with-large-number-of-mutations.html

The strain is the most evolved form on the planet, and it experts believe it may have emerged from an HIV patient.  Come one?  That's a bit coincidental given they were studying Covid-19 for it's application in combatting HIV.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10238113/New-Botswana-variant-32-horrific-mutations-evolved-Covid-strain-EVER.html

Covid-19 is mutating way quicker than experts believed, but this exactly in line with two schools of thought: 1) Leaky Vaccine and 2) Covid-19 can coexist and evolve with other viruses.  It looks like the latter was correct.  Either way... all medical options need to be put on the table to combat Covid-19.    
Hollywood
« Reply #7595 on: November 25, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »

I stand by my view that nothing good has come of giving these men all of this power

Even trump himself sees just how powerful the CEO of twitter is. Rather, you agree with trump or not I think it's terrifying that these men literally have the power to silence the president if they really wanted to. Angela Merkel is no trump fan, but even she saw that it was problematic that twitter has the power to permanently suspend a president if they do not like what that president has to say

Letting these social media platforms get increasingly more powerful is a threat to all of us no matter which side of the aisle you are on. I think we can call agree that Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey should have a level of power that they currently have

Great. They have too much power.  That was pretty evident to Republicans when Trump was eliminated from all Media platforms.  The fact that China was able to use news and social media to eliminate all whistleblowers, pictures and videos of Covid-19 from those platforms in December 2019 was also a pretty big red flag.  But that wasn't your point.  Your argument was that Facebook needs to be destroyed cause they allow Republicans to spread alleged 'misinformation' that you baselessly blame as the reason people don't trust the vaccine and masks.  No.  They don't trust Biden or the Democrats.  They don't trust the motivation. 

I don't care anymore.  Biden is completely finished.  I'm not interested in attacking him.  I need him to get off his butt in Nantucket and plan for the shutdown of all flights while keeping commericial transportation.  Mask mandates need to be put in places.  Vaccines are useless as the Delta is being eliminated by Invest Gamma variant.  The country need to work on a new one, as well as other medical options.  Bring every F-ing scientist to the Washington, and get rid of F-ing Fauci for funding this horrible disease. 

Tomorrow people are going to wake up to a new reality. 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7596 on: November 25, 2021, 08:48:06 PM »

Wow, congrats on being the third person ever (and second person currently) on my mute list intentionally.
Hollywood
« Reply #7597 on: November 25, 2021, 08:55:46 PM »

Wow, congrats on being the third person ever (and second person currently) on my mute list intentionally.

Oh no.  I'm on the mute list.  lol. 

By next week, the American public will be putting Democrats on the mute list. 

Gas Prices falling on news of shutdowns and travel bans.  UK has already banned flights tonight. 
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/25/uk-suspends-flights-to-six-african-countries-as-new-covid-variant-raises-alarms.html
roxas11
United States

« Reply #7598 on: November 25, 2021, 09:18:47 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2021, 09:49:01 PM by roxas11 »

Letting these social media platforms get increasingly more powerful is a threat to all of us no matter which side of the aisle you are on. I think we can call agree that Mark Zuckerberg and Jack Dorsey should have a level of power that they currently have

Great. They have too much power.  That was pretty evident to Republicans when Trump was eliminated from all Media platforms.  The fact that China was able to use news and social media to eliminate all whistleblowers, pictures and videos of Covid-19 from those platforms in December 2019 was also a pretty big red flag.  But that wasn't your point.  Your argument was that Facebook needs to be destroyed cause they allow Republicans to spread alleged 'misinformation' that you baselessly blame as the reason people don't trust the vaccine and masks.  No.  They don't trust Biden or the Democrats.  They don't trust the motivation.  

I don't care anymore.  Biden is completely finished.  I'm not interested in attacking him.  I need him to get off his butt in Nantucket and plan for the shutdown of all flights while keeping commericial transportation.  Mask mandates need to be put in places.  Vaccines are useless as the Delta is being eliminated by Invest Gamma variant.  The country need to work on a new one, as well as other medical options.  Bring every F-ing scientist to the Washington, and get rid of F-ing Fauci for funding this horrible disease.  

Tomorrow people are going to wake up to a new reality.  

This was not the argument I was making at all and Im sorry if it came off that way because that was not my intention

when I used celebrities as in the example in my original post I was also aiming at some on the left, but I see now that I should have been more clear about that because my post was not meant to just single out republicans nor was I saying lets destroy Facebook simply because Republicans are posting things that I may disagree with

That is a silly argument and it's definitely not one that I would ever support. It's also the kind of argument that people like Mark Zuckerberg loves because as long as he can keep both sides fighting among themselves, they won't notice how powerfully Facebook is getting until it is too late to do anything about it
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7599 on: November 25, 2021, 09:51:42 PM »

I’m still perplexed as to why there hasn’t been more public activism on pro-vax side.  Like, why are there so many idiotic anti-vax “protest”, but I have yet to hear of anyone organizing a protest demanding faster approval of vaccines for kids, or boosters, or stricter vaccine mandates, or (earlier on) challenge trials?  These are all things that could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives!
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 306 307 308 309 ... 456  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies