Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:39:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats?  (Read 2790 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: February 25, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »

Of course not. What this means for 2020 is more rigging of the primary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:29:16 PM »

I think that when the dust settles, and the Bernie wing calms down and takes a good long look at Tom Perez, they will quickly realize they didn't fare too badly, that he is a man very much on their side. 

Yeah, basically this. In a year of Perez running the DNC, he won't have the same hatred from the Bernie bros that he gets now

Are you dense? DWS was hated more and more, and I imagine Perez will rig things for the establishment too.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »

Ellison would have resulted in a disastrous circular firing squad and constant re-fighting of the 2016 primaries that would severely damage the party and prevent taking advantage of the Republicans' present and near-future polling weaknesses. So, in that sense, it is good news. I'm not a particular fan of Perez, and he wouldn't have gotten my first preference if I were a DNC delegate, but he's better than that.

How would a Bernie supporters who bent over backwards for Hillary people and received the endorsements of a majority of those Senators who endorsed Hillary in the primary who endorsed in this race result in re-fighting the primaries?

Or do you mean there will be less refighting now that progressives leave the party?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »

At this f**king rate their won't be a dem party in 2020.

There will....

I think there will be alot of Party Fighting though.
I know jfc why did Obama have to get involved an just let Keith be the chair

Obama appointed Tim Kaine and DWS, so it's obvious that helping the party is not an attribute that Obama looks for in DNC chairs.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 08:18:00 PM »

This country has been going steadily down the drain since 2000. Every few years it just gets worse and worse. The right wing goes more and more berzerk, and the left makes the dumb move at every turn.

The left has no power and you're still blaming them? Sad!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »

This country has been going steadily down the drain since 2000. Every few years it just gets worse and worse. The right wing goes more and more berzerk, and the left makes the dumb move at every turn.

The left has no power and you're still blaming them? Sad!

The "left" in this case being the "Democratic" party. I was on your side in this one. That being said, 39 of these people supported Bernie in the primaries, 200 supported the Bernie-endorsed candidate over the Obama-endorsed one today.

Yeah, well, even getting a majority of the Hillary primary endorsing Senators (who endorsed in the DNC chair race), including Senate Leaders Schumer and Reid isn't enough to overcome Obama, Biden, and the Clintons.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »

Bernie's an Independent.  He's not a Democrat.  And he kind of emphasized that after losing to Hillary, did he not?

I think folks here, and particularly the Democrats here, underestimate the disadvantage Bernie takes on by not becoming a Democrat in name, as well as a member of their caucus.  Think about it; what political figure in all of American history had a faction of a party named for him when he wasn't a member of that party?  (I'm talking about Sanders Democrats, not Reagan Democrats, if you get my drift.)  Would an actual member of the DNC have a right to be indignant if Bernie Sanders, a non-Democrat, wished to exert influence over how the Democratic Party actually runs.

Bernie's remaining outside the Democratic Party is what limits the "progressives".  It's a bigger deal than folks think.  I don't think it's too late for Bernie to turn around and declare himself a Democrat for Life, but I think he's emotionally attached to his "Independent" status to the point of not seeing how becoming a Democrat would be an asset to both his own career and the Progressive movement (in terms of influence).

Why would he want to join a party that treated him so poorly?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 08:46:38 PM »

Bernie's an Independent.  He's not a Democrat.  And he kind of emphasized that after losing to Hillary, did he not?

I think folks here, and particularly the Democrats here, underestimate the disadvantage Bernie takes on by not becoming a Democrat in name, as well as a member of their caucus.  Think about it; what political figure in all of American history had a faction of a party named for him when he wasn't a member of that party?  (I'm talking about Sanders Democrats, not Reagan Democrats, if you get my drift.)  Would an actual member of the DNC have a right to be indignant if Bernie Sanders, a non-Democrat, wished to exert influence over how the Democratic Party actually runs.

Bernie's remaining outside the Democratic Party is what limits the "progressives".  It's a bigger deal than folks think.  I don't think it's too late for Bernie to turn around and declare himself a Democrat for Life, but I think he's emotionally attached to his "Independent" status to the point of not seeing how becoming a Democrat would be an asset to both his own career and the Progressive movement (in terms of influence).

1.  Because the vast majority of his supporters are members of that party and are vested in that party.

2.  Because he's a member of that party's caucus in the Senate.

3.  Because that's how the game is played if you want to win.

1. A lot are DemExiting as we speak.
2. Hes' been a member of the caucus for 26 years, so why change now?
3. They still would have rigged things against him if he was a Democrat. And Vermont doesn't have party registration anyways, so you must just mean according to the US Senate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »

1.  Because the vast majority of his supporters are members of that party and are vested in that party.

2.  Because he's a member of that party's caucus in the Senate.

3.  Because that's how the game is played if you want to win.

3. They still would have rigged things against him if he was a Democrat. And Vermont doesn't have party registration anyways, so you must just mean according to the US Senate.

Lots of states don't have party registration, but Bernie could opt to run as a Democrat. 

If you're a progressive/liberal, why would you exit the Democratic Party?  Do you not want to win?  It's as silly as conservatives like George Will leaving the GOP to be an "independent".  Why? 

There is no party, other than the Democratic Party, with a chance to elect public officials who agree with Bernie Sanders on issues.  Bernie needs to seriously think about that.

The party is rigging things against progressives. Why be a member of a corrupt neoliberal party that hates your guts. It isn't set in stone that there are only 2 viable parties in a country. We've had changes in the past. Canada had the 1993 elections. The Vermont Progressive party does win some elections.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »

Jfern is as usual providing as much evidence of vote fraud against progressive as he is of in Ohio in 2004.

No one cares that I sided with 31 representatives and 1 Senator on some vote 12 years ago.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »

Bernie's an Independent.  He's not a Democrat.  And he kind of emphasized that after losing to Hillary, did he not?

I think folks here, and particularly the Democrats here, underestimate the disadvantage Bernie takes on by not becoming a Democrat in name, as well as a member of their caucus.  Think about it; what political figure in all of American history had a faction of a party named for him when he wasn't a member of that party?  (I'm talking about Sanders Democrats, not Reagan Democrats, if you get my drift.)  Would an actual member of the DNC have a right to be indignant if Bernie Sanders, a non-Democrat, wished to exert influence over how the Democratic Party actually runs.

Bernie's remaining outside the Democratic Party is what limits the "progressives".  It's a bigger deal than folks think.  I don't think it's too late for Bernie to turn around and declare himself a Democrat for Life, but I think he's emotionally attached to his "Independent" status to the point of not seeing how becoming a Democrat would be an asset to both his own career and the Progressive movement (in terms of influence).

1.  Because the vast majority of his supporters are members of that party and are vested in that party.

2.  Because he's a member of that party's caucus in the Senate.

3.  Because that's how the game is played if you want to win.

Lots of states don't have party registration, but Bernie could opt to run as a Democrat.  

If you're a progressive/liberal, why would you exit the Democratic Party?  Do you not want to win?  It's as silly as conservatives like George Will leaving the GOP to be an "independent".  Why?  

There is no party, other than the Democratic Party, with a chance to elect public officials who agree with Bernie Sanders on issues.  Bernie needs to seriously think about that.

The party is rigging things against progressives. Why be a member of a corrupt neoliberal party that hates your guts. It isn't set in stone that there are only 2 viable parties in a country. We've had changes in the past. Canada had the 1993 elections. The Vermont Progressive party does win some elections.

Is everything a conspiracy to you?  It must be stressful having such a suspicious and paranoid mind.

The party isn't interested in giving any power to progressives, and even made up that chair throwing lie to demonize progressives. The Democratic party has made it clear they are a clear enemy of progressives. And we don't need to be lectured on what is a conspiracy from the establishment that blames Russia for everything.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »

Bernie's an Independent.  He's not a Democrat.  And he kind of emphasized that after losing to Hillary, did he not?

I think folks here, and particularly the Democrats here, underestimate the disadvantage Bernie takes on by not becoming a Democrat in name, as well as a member of their caucus.  Think about it; what political figure in all of American history had a faction of a party named for him when he wasn't a member of that party?  (I'm talking about Sanders Democrats, not Reagan Democrats, if you get my drift.)  Would an actual member of the DNC have a right to be indignant if Bernie Sanders, a non-Democrat, wished to exert influence over how the Democratic Party actually runs.

Bernie's remaining outside the Democratic Party is what limits the "progressives".  It's a bigger deal than folks think.  I don't think it's too late for Bernie to turn around and declare himself a Democrat for Life, but I think he's emotionally attached to his "Independent" status to the point of not seeing how becoming a Democrat would be an asset to both his own career and the Progressive movement (in terms of influence).

1.  Because the vast majority of his supporters are members of that party and are vested in that party.

2.  Because he's a member of that party's caucus in the Senate.

3.  Because that's how the game is played if you want to win.

If you're a progressive/liberal, why would you exit the Democratic Party?  Do you not want to win?  It's as silly as conservatives like George Will leaving the GOP to be an "independent".  Why?  

There is no party, other than the Democratic Party, with a chance to elect public officials who agree with Bernie Sanders on issues.  Bernie needs to seriously think about that.

Is everything a conspiracy to you?  It must be stressful having such a suspicious and paranoid mind.

The party isn't interested in giving any power to progressives, and even made up that chair throwing lie to demonize progressives. The Democratic party has made it clear they are a clear enemy of progressives. And we don't need to be lectured on what is a conspiracy from the establishment that blames Russia for everything.

Unlike your garbage, my conspiracy theory is backed up by our country's intelligence agencies.

Oh yeah, the CIA has always been a truthful proponent of democracy around the world.

/sarcasm
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 08:19:01 PM »

Perez's election as DNC Chair is just going to speed up the process of the progressive wing taking over the Democratic Party.

It'd be ironic if the progressive wing having no control over the party sped that up.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies