Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:34:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Is Tom Perez's election as DNC chair good news for Democrats?  (Read 2789 times)
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« on: February 25, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »

I think that when the dust settles, and the Bernie wing calms down and takes a good long look at Tom Perez, they will quickly realize they didn't fare too badly, that he is a man very much on their side. 

Yeah, basically this. In a year of Perez running the DNC, he won't have the same hatred from the Bernie bros that he gets now
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »

I think that when the dust settles, and the Bernie wing calms down and takes a good long look at Tom Perez, they will quickly realize they didn't fare too badly, that he is a man very much on their side. 

Yeah, basically this. In a year of Perez running the DNC, he won't have the same hatred from the Bernie bros that he gets now

Are you dense? DWS was hated more and more, and I imagine Perez will rig things for the establishment too.

I'm not dense. I think the reason the hatred for Perez will die down is that I think he won't run the DNC like DWS did
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »

Plus, as I brought up endlessly in the days leading up to the election, Perez has raised about $200,000 in his political life. I certainly hope he's a fast on-the-job learner.

This is why I think bringing Ellison on as Deputy is significant. Perez and Ellison have a decent personal chemistry, and both invoked similar themes during the race, (build up state/local parties) so I have a hunch that the real reason why Perez was so quick to bring on Ellison was that Perez knows his inexperiences and wants help/input from his friend in those areas.

I could be overly optimistic, but that's exactly what I would do were I in Perez's position
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »

Plus, as I brought up endlessly in the days leading up to the election, Perez has raised about $200,000 in his political life. I certainly hope he's a fast on-the-job learner.

This is why I think bringing Ellison on as Deputy is significant. Perez and Ellison have a decent personal chemistry, and both invoked similar themes during the race, (build up state/local parties) so I have a hunch that the real reason why Perez was so quick to bring on Ellison was that Perez knows his inexperiences and wants help/input from his friend in those areas.

I could be overly optimistic, but that's exactly what I would do were I in Perez's position

Yeah. I'm a bit more pessimistic, especially since we've still seen no hint at Ellison's portfolio other than "he should be the face of the party!"

Like, and I realize this would be difficult, but if they could have worked out each other's hypothetical portfolio as "deputy"* this would smell a lot better to me.

*this operating off the widespread rumor that each had agreed to make each other the deputy if one won.

I'm willing to chalk that up to the idea of bringing the runner-up on as deputy was probably a bit last-minute. But even if Ellison has no official portfolio, he could still be influential. Biden had no official powers as VP and he was a major influence on the Obama presidency, for instance.

I'll be more than willing to eat my optimism if a hear or two passes and Perez is little different from DWS, but I highly doubt that'll happen.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »

Yeah. I'm a bit more pessimistic, especially since we've still seen no hint at Ellison's portfolio other than "he should be the face of the party!"

Like, and I realize this would be difficult, but if they could have worked out each other's hypothetical portfolio as "deputy"* this would smell a lot better to me.

*this operating off the widespread rumor that each had agreed to make each other the deputy if one won.

I'm willing to chalk that up to the idea of bringing the runner-up on as deputy was probably a bit last-minute. But even if Ellison has no official portfolio, he could still be influential. Biden had no official powers as VP and he was a major influence on the Obama presidency, for instance.

I'll be more than willing to eat my optimism if a hear or two passes and Perez is little different from DWS, but I highly doubt that'll happen.

Well actually, Biden seems like a pretty good model. Sure, he had little portfolio actually on paper, but it was widely understood from the beginning of the 2nd term that he would have pretty significant latitude on foreign policy. I am worried that there's been *nothing * so far even as detailed as that. 

It has only been a couple of days since Perez took over, it's probable that stuff like this is still being sorted out
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies