"Who would fictional characters vote for?" omnibus thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:54:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  "Who would fictional characters vote for?" omnibus thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who did Don Draper vote for?
Hillary Clinton

Bernie Sanders

Donald Trump

Ted Cruz

Jon Kasich

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 124

Author Topic: "Who would fictional characters vote for?" omnibus thread  (Read 267697 times)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: August 02, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »

I know that putting 16th-century characters into our contemporary understanding of politics is way beyond absurd, but I want to do The Taming of the Shrew just because I can.
I'll try to approximate characters to the 21st century. I'll also be very wrong.

Petruchio: Uh oh. A sly, fierce, proud young man who is a male chauvinist. I imagine him as the guy whose view of Trump would be MORE favorable after the Access Hollywood tape, but I also believe his love for Katherina is sincere. Safe Trump -> Safe Trump.

Katherina Minola: Actually not all commentators think that her final speech about female submissiveness is sincere. Anyway, she basically goes from hardcore feminist to suburban housewife. Unabashed Clinton voter -> shy Biden voter.

Bianca Minola: Well-mannered and obedient, but also subtle. I imagine her as the type who has been writing "I stand with BLM" on Instagram since June, but has an inner Karen/Becky very few people know. Too young to vote in 2016 -> leaning Biden mostly to hop on the bandwagon.

Gremio: Old lascivious man. He would be an extremely conservative, racist and sexist person now. Safe Trump -> Safe Trump.

Lucentio: Basically a liberal arts student who does everything he can to woo and marry Bianca, with all sorts of tricks. He would be not much interested in politics, but I see him as (Sanders) -> no vote -> (Sanders) -> Biden.

Hortensio: He gets conned by Lucentio and Petruchio and in the end marries a widow. I want to imagine him as an angry young man who swings between Ben Shapiro and Alex Jones.

Grumio and Tranio: Both are cunning manservants in the tradition of Plautus's tricky slaves. I don't know how they can be approximated in the 21st century if not as lower-class roommates of respectively Petruchio and Lucentio who do all the household chores in order to be given money by them. Somehow I see them as Libertarian trolls (who prefer Dems to the GOP).

And finally, Baptista Minola: He would be an overprotective dad with strict rules about dating for his daughters. Republican for Biden?

And now you know where I took my username from. It's not because I like the character particularly, but because I like very much the idea of a Shakespeare character with an Italian name and also surname. Yes, I guess I could have chosen Romeo Montecchi but that is too obvious.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »

Reposting this here as this is the "omnibus" thread:

My attempt at Total Drama Island - notwithstanding that the characters are Canadian and not old enough to vote.

Beth: Biden but has a high likelihood of non-voting
Bridgette: Safe Biden
Cody: Safe Biden
Courtney: GeneralMacArthur-level Titanium Biden
DJ: Safe Biden
Duncan: Too rebellious, probably hates everyone, I say Lean Biden because of the probable insistence of Courtney
Eva: Likely Trump
Ezekiel: Safe Trump lmao he's the poster boy for all the worst stereotypes of Trump voters
Geoff: Biden
Gwen: Safe Biden but she's a doomer about it
Harold: Might be the type who votes Jorgensen or Hawkins just to be a contrarian
Heather: Likely Trump
Izzy: So crazy that she might vote Kanye, but more likely Jorgensen
Justin: I think Trump but probably doesn't care to vote
Katie and Sadie: Tossup. Of course they vote the same, and probably flip their preference continually over stupid sh!t in the news
Leshawna: Safe Biden
Lindsay: Lmao she doesn't even know what a president is
Noah: Hahahahah voting is for losers
Owen: Likely Biden
Trent: Safe Biden
Tyler: Biden I guess but probably doesn't vote

I stand by it but after seeing the election pan out I'd say:
Duncan in the end would have voted for Trump;
Katie and Sadie for Biden;
Harold for Hawkins;
Izzy for Jorgensen.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 04:13:49 AM »

I know that putting 16th-century characters into our contemporary understanding of politics is way beyond absurd, but I want to do The Taming of the Shrew just because I can.
I'll try to approximate characters to the 21st century. I'll also be very wrong.

I want to bring this back but using the 2022 Italian election because after all the play is set in Padua. I guess this version will use slightly different vibes.

Baptista is a wealthy and very conservative professional so he seems like an obvious FdI voter. Bianca definitely voted Azione/Italia Viva because her personality suggests shallow, performative liberalism, while Katherina as a rebel from this sort of family starts as a Green-Left voter but after her taming she presumably adopts Petruchio's politics... and Petruchio is the male chauvinist we all know but also a fairly well-off (and presumably educated) young man so I get the feeling he might vote Azione. Lucentio is a vain liberal arts student so he goes for AVS, or in any case definitely the centre-left coalition. Grumio and Tranio as I mentioned in my original post are hard to fit in the contemporary world but the characterization I used means they'd likely go for the M5S. Gremio is an unpleasant old man lusting after women less than half his age, which makes him almost too obvious a fan of Berlusconi, although I can see him even better choosing Lega in particular. Hortensio is a complete loser so of course he votes PD.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 08:34:08 AM »

Continuing the series of Shakespeare plays set in Veneto with Othello.

Othello updated to the 21st century came up in a different thread and Nathan described him as "a Luciana Lamorgese-esque unideological center-left-adjacent national security institutionalist" which feels correct; this probably means PD although at the time I was tempted to put him with Calenzi. Desdemona should have the same opinions of her husband; the very fact that she married an Arab Muslim after falling in love with his life story makes me think she would be repulsed by the radical right. Iago is a resentful racist junior military officer, obvious Lega voter. His wife Emilia goes along with him for the most part but is also cynical and not actually submissive, although my experience suggests this kind of person could also vote Lega or more likely FdI by 2022. Cassio is loyal to Othello, gets played like a fool and everything else about him (Florentine, most interested in theoretical education) also points towards the PD. Cassio's lover Bianca has a minor role but I also imagine her to be a centre-left voter. Roderigo is a profligate wealthy man who is too self-interested to be fully committed to Iago's plan, I'll say he goes for A/IV. Brabantio is an old rich influential politician somewhat prejudiced towards Othello, presumably an ex-DC who then joined Forza Italia. The remaining characters with positions of power, who should approximate to Italian government ministers in the current age, likely share Othello's politics.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 09:43:03 AM »

Boris (Italian TV show) - with the disclaimer that I have not watched and do not intend to watch the 2022 revival season.

Alessandro: Canonically unspecified left-wing; I think he has a potential to switch to the M5S for a while - especially in 2018 - but the revival season argues against that by making him into a successful manager.
René: He has a sort of incurable dissatisfaction with life and thwarted artistic drive that very heavily suggests he is on the left. Unclear how far left, but "sucks it up and votes for the PD every time" seems appropriate.
Arianna: Canonically a strong Berlusconi supporter; this comes as a shock to the viewer as much as to Alessandro but precisely for this reason we can assume it never changes.
Stanis: Very pretentious, with a misplaced simulacrum of intellectual curiosity, a weird sort of oikophobia and various bizarre tics. He seems much more opinionated than he is political, if he votes at all I imagine it's somewhere on the left or centre for respectability purposes.
Duccio: Regular cocaine user who often lazies on the job and hails from Messina. He has the demeanour of a non-voter, although in times after the original series is set I could see him as a Five Star as well.
Biascica: Rough guy who tends to speak in vernacular and has one of the most stereotypically working class stagecraft occupations, being an electrician. Quite possibly a centre-left voter who then moves to the M5S and then to the hard right, also known as a realigner in the jargon.
Itala: Surely, she votes for whoever she thinks promises better pensions. I have no idea otherwise.
Sergio: Mysterious, crafty, without qualms and someone who has been in jail multiple times. Probably likes centrist corrupt politicians.
Lorenzo: Enthusiastic intern who is mistreated by everyone, in the third season he tries to use his uncle's election to the Senate for career advancement purposes despite having opposite politics to him. Very blatant in my opinion that Lorenzo is left-wing and his uncle is a Berlusconi ally.
Corinna: Ridiculously arrogant and annoying in a way that makes Stanis a positive role model in comparison. Also the mistress of the TV network's president, so probably votes the way the latter wants (right-wing I assume?).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies