Political Compass: Question #20 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:10:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Political Compass: Question #20 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: A genuine free market requires restrictions on the ability of predator multinationals to create monopolies
Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Political Compass: Question #20  (Read 1011 times)
Redalgo
United States

« on: April 17, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
« edited: April 17, 2014, 09:26:10 AM by Redalgo »

I think the wording is poor and that transnationals are much more common and significant here than multinationals but what I focus on in the question is whether anti-trust legislation seems appropriate. Answering "strongly agree" on #20 is my way to express a belief that, if left improperly regulated, at least some businesses will seek out means of distorting or discouraging competition, eventually leading a "genuinely free market" to undo itself. The state is not the only source of detrimental meddling here.

This is an especially significant problem abroad when a corporation can sometimes wield more power than the banana republic in which it is seeking to make handsome profits. The whole economy of a country can rely on one or two exports and will suffer terribly if anything goes wrong in getting those goods produced and shipped out. Nestle bullying around small countries in Africa provides a decent example, though I do not recall if cocoa-producing countries forming a cartel sufficiently dealt with the problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies