The Senate: Introductory Business (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:41:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Senate: Introductory Business (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Senate: Introductory Business  (Read 4807 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« on: July 03, 2021, 12:38:12 AM »

Seems fairly clear for the most part, but I have a few questions:

- It appears that the PPT will be delegated with the duties of the President of Congress should the latter be away or otherwise unavailable, so are we canning the DPOC position?

- How is seniority being determined here? Does "length of continuous service" carry over from when we previously served in the House or the old Senate, or are we resetting the clock based on the order in which all of us swore in this session?

- Who administers the sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth slots? Just for completeness' sake – the other slots all have explicitly named presiding officers.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 12:54:19 AM »

Regarding the House side, this is essentially all that remains to clear up. Four bills:

Quote from: House Noticeboard
Slot 17 (Senate)VP Administered
HB 30-16: Lady Liberty Refugee Act
Sponsor: Ishan

Slot 18 (Senate)VP Administered
Hb 30-17: De-Escalation in Policing Act
Sponsor: Joseph Cao

Slot 19 (Senate)VP Administered
HB 30-18: Reproductive Health Expansion Act
Sponsor: Blairite None

Slot 20 (Senate)VP Administered
HB 30-19: Combating Anti-Asian Hate Crimes Act
Sponsor: None

Two bills in limbo, two "new" ones just introduced by Falterin without any further congressional action. Blairite's sponsorship no longer counts for obvious reasons. I think 30-17 is furthest along in the sense that debate has clearly ceased. If Peanut ever gets around to the next GM report and we get to respond to it, 30-16 should be in a good position to advance too.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 01:09:38 AM »

I don't recall there ever being a Deputy President of Congress, but with the PPT selecting their own Deputy, I don't see the need for one.

Congress put one in after you left to assist the Vice-President in their congressional duties. It's why FalterinArc has been presiding over House debates for about a month despite not being elected to that body or to the VPship.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 12:08:07 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2021, 12:21:38 AM by At-large Senator Joseph Cao »

3.) The Dean of the Senate is defined as the serving Senator, who is not the President pro Tempore, with the longest continuous service in the Senate in his or her present stint of service. For the purposes of this clause, continuous service begins at the moment of swearing-in in the first term of the stint of service. The Dean of the Senate may pass the title, powers and responsibilities of the Dean of the Senate, to the next longest serving Senator for any reason whatsoever.
I would assume this passing of responsibilities is permanent?

I can't speak for the Senate but it's been generally assumed (bad word, bad practice, I know) that all opportunities for the Dean to delegate their responsibilities would be on a temporary basis. OTOH, Razze has never actually delegated his own duties away on either a temporary or permanent basis within my personal recollection.

Poirot once proposed a bill to bypass the Dean for administration of the Speaker elections if the Dean was inactive, which sort of falls under this purview and is illustrative of what it would have entailed: basically the next-most senior representative would take over and yield responsibilities back to the Dean as soon as the vote was over. It never passed obviously but that was the mindset we were working with.

Re: the cloture threshold, I think two-thirds makes marginally more sense. From a theoretical standpoint this will bring it in line with the threshold for a tabling vote; it should not be easier for a bad piece of legislation to be muscled through than for a bad piece of legislation to be tabled. Three-fifths in the current Senate is either ten or eleven people and, in my view, rather too close to the majority for comfort.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »

So skimming the text again, I think most of the stuff that jumped out initially has been resolved. I may be able to run through it more carefully tonight, though.

And I say most because the major sticking point for me here is the cloture threshold – are we still going with three-fifths? The Senate seems to be divided on this so far.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 12:00:39 AM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies