Describe the likely political views of the previous hypothetical person (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:32:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Describe the likely political views of the previous hypothetical person (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Describe the likely political views of the previous hypothetical person  (Read 209685 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 09:46:35 AM »

Age, gender, and not-currently-married status suggest Democrat, hometown and #WWC Purple heart status suggest Republican. I'm going to split the difference and say she's a low-information swing voter who's voting Biden this year over Trump's COVID response.

Ethnicity: Japanese
Relationship status: Married, two young-adult kids, one baby grandkid
Sexual orientation: Either straight or bisexual but hasn't ever given it much thought
Religion: Nonreligious but observes typical Japanese folk practices
Hometown: Aomori, Japan
Current location: Aomori, Japan
Education: Professional certification in hospitality management
Interests: Cooking, learning English, cats
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2020, 06:19:04 PM »

Probably a Groen-Links voter, or perhaps SP or PvdD.

I'm not sure I agree. Neopagan indicates left-leaning in a US context; in Europe, uh, not so much, although the combination of prep school+low family income muddies the picture somewhat.

*skip*
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »

As I said before, she is based off of an anime character but I was curious what an "Americanized" version of her would be like politically.

Is this someone from Silver Spoon?

Your ex-KGB Staten Island businessman is a Trumpist, but not a particularly extreme one.

Doing another literary one.

Race: White
Sexual orientation: Lesbian
Relationship status: Dating someone she's pulling an elaborate confidence trick on (see occupation, below)
Hometown and residence: London Borough of Southwark
Education: Next to none
Household income: Not much
Religion: Nominally Anglican
Hobbies: Card games, going to events and concerts
Other: Being raised by a shady people smuggler. Her real mother (as far as she knows) is a convicted murderer.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2020, 09:41:50 PM »

Yep, it's Sue! Here's another, very dissimilar sleazy antihero:

Sexual orientation: Straight
Hometown: A small town in Tennessee
Current location: A mid-sized city somewhere in the Sunbelt Stack
Education: High school
Religion: Atheist
Hobbies: Driving, picking up girls, movies
Other: Army veteran, discharged quite recently.

Not sure who yours is (Turin makes me think he might be in an Eco book?) but I'm guessing he's an elitist Sad PD voter.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2020, 12:47:18 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 12:51:31 AM by Marxpilled Red Tory »

No idea who he is (Elmer Gantry vibes however) but I would guess he's sort of a disillusioned alt right curious Trump supporter? Probably has very nilhistic views on life.

He is Hazel Motes from Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor and yes, he's one of the Trumpiest characters in American literature.

Yours probably voted Biden, but I doubt I'd like her very much if I knew her.

Race: Black
Hometown: New Orleans
Residence: US base overseas
Religion: Irreligious but curious about the local religious scene where he's stationed
Relationship status: Widower
Education: Annapolis
Hobbies: Cooking, baseball, studying history (especially that of the Navy and that of black Americans)
Other: Has a teenage son. Is friends with mostly women, but that wasn't true until recently. His family stateside is in the restaurant business.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2020, 01:35:57 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 01:40:40 AM by Marxpilled Red Tory »

Probably center-left at heart, but the extremely low social capital doesn't bode well.

Race/ethnicity: Italian
Hometown: Somewhere in Italy
Residence: Izu Archipelago, Japan
Religion: Catholic
Sexual orientation: Bisexual
Relationship status: It's complicated
Education: Autodidact
Hobbies: Wine tasting, cooking, BDSM, autistic self-advocacy activism, crime novels, tea ceremony, online sockpuppetry, babysitting, studying obscure folklore, phone sex
Other: I know this sounds like something out of a fever dream I had after falling asleep to an audio book of Numero Zero, but this actually is a real character in something I did not write myself.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2020, 02:10:09 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 02:17:55 AM by Marxpilled Red Tory »

Probably center-left at heart, but the extremely low social capital doesn't bode well.

Hobbies: Wine tasting, cooking, BDSM, autistic self-advocacy activism, crime novels, tea ceremony, online sockpuppetry, babysitting, studying obscure folklore, phone sex
Other: I know this sounds like something out of a fever dream I had after falling asleep to an audio book of Numero Zero, but this actually is a real character in something I did not write myself.

"That would be telling" for the age implies that she is extremely old, ie beyond normal human life expectancy maximums. Assuming she is interested in politics (given she sounds vaguely supernatural/having magical powers she might not take an interest in such aspects of human society), she's probably quite left-wing bordering on anarchism. Probably would have been sympathetic to say Pasolini's views in Italian politics in the 1960s and would support the Democratic Party at present, if only out of opposition to Lega, Berlusconi, and Fratelli d'Italia. In Japanese politics, she would similarly be opposed to the LDP and Nippon Kaigi thus supporting either the JCP or Constitutional Democrats.

She is Beatrice from Umineko no Naku koro ni and if you know the solution to the series she is not actually a thousand-year-old supernatural being, she just very convincingly plays one in real life. (Or, perhaps, she IS such a being and the "solution" is just another in the litany of ways she gaslights the series' protagonist.) She's a mind-bendingly complex character and I can see arguments for anything from "pro-life single-issue voter" to "neofascist" to "class-war-now left-leftist" without violating anything in the canon.

*skip*, although I have the uncomfortable feeling that yours might be from Hibike! Euphonium.

ETA: Oh, it's literally just a slightly older Reina. Generic D, probably liked Warren.

Someone else feel free to go next.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2020, 02:21:19 AM »

"That would be telling" for the age implies that she is extremely old, ie beyond normal human life expectancy maximums. Assuming she is interested in politics (given she sounds vaguely supernatural/having magical powers she might not take an interest in such aspects of human society), she's probably quite left-wing bordering on anarchism. Probably would have been sympathetic to say Pasolini's views in Italian politics in the 1960s and would support the Democratic Party at present, if only out of opposition to Lega, Berlusconi, and Fratelli d'Italia. In Japanese politics, she would similarly be opposed to the LDP and Nippon Kaigi thus supporting either the JCP or Constitutional Democrats.

She is Beatrice from Umineko no Naku koro ni and if you know the solution to the series she is not actually a thousand-year-old supernatural being, she just very convincingly plays one in real life. (Or, perhaps, she IS such a being and the "solution" is just another in the litany of ways she gaslights the series' protagonist.) She's a mind-bendingly complex character and I can see arguments for anything from "pro-life single-issue voter" to "neofascist" to "class-war-now left-leftist" without violating anything in the canon.

*skip*, although I have the uncomfortable feeling that yours might be from Hibike! Euphonium.

That would be correct (finally got around to watching the series recently). There's some (mostly silly) speculation this character's supposed to be ethnic Korean, so I just decided to go ahead and make her Korean-American for a US version. I will have to check out Umineko...

Avoid the Umineko anime. The manga is fine in a pinch if you don't have the time for the utterly insane, completely editor-proof VNs.

Again, someone else feel free to create the next person!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2020, 12:55:05 PM »

Conversely to Mung Beans's person, this is a probable Trump supporter with whom I likely would get along.

I'll do one more literary one and then I'll start doing ones inspired by people I know in real life.

Hometown: Leafy suburbia
Current location: Riyadh
Religion: Convert to Islam
Relationship status: In a relationship
Education: Was doing well in school back home. Most of his teachers were nuns.
Hobbies: Studying zoology and doing drugs, mostly.
Other pertinent info: From a VERY wealthy family, most of whom were killed for political reasons.

By the way, my black Navy officer was Benjamin Sisko from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2020, 05:23:15 PM »

Mine was Paul Atreides from Dune, and he is very much politically active in the book despite his age. Besides, plenty of people too young to vote have strong political views--hell, I was seventeen when I became a Talk Elections blogger!

*skip*
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »

Trumpist for cultural rather than ideological reasons, sort of like how someone like Sanchez is.

Race/ethnicity: Portuguese-American
Hometown: Chicopee, MA
Current location: Yarmouth, MA
Religion: Nominally Catholic
Relationship status: Married for over 60 years, three children, five grandchildren
Education: High school plus vocational education in the garment trade
Hobbies: Cooking, yard work (when his joints cooperate), sewing, listening to jazz and traditional pop records (his first celebrity crush was Helen O'Connell)
Other pertinent info: Personally racist and sexist, but not homophobic.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2020, 10:00:01 PM »

Stereotypical cultural/ancestral Democrat who started to shift right when things started getting #woke, but was reassured back into the flock with Biden. May or may not have voted for Reagan.

It's a member of my extended family, and in a big-picture sense this is exactly accurate, but practically speaking I don't think he's ever actually gone through with voting for a Republican Presidential nominee. I know he's never liked Trump even back when a lot of his kind of old-school New England cultural Democrats did. He's been a fan of Biden ever since he became VP.

Race/ethnicity: English, German, Comanche and Jewish
Hometown: Edmond, Oklahoma
Current location: Amherst, Massachusetts
Religion: Raised in a mixed Jewish/Southern Baptist family, now identifies as a culturally baptist atheist
Relationship status: Single
Education: Currently attending UMASS as a history major. Graduated from a private Christian high school in Oklahoma
Hobbies: Video games, streaming, memes, retail history, and an obscure anime nobody outside of Japan has heard of
Other pertinent info: Has Asperger's but was not diagnosed until he was in college

I'm guessing this guy is at the very least a Democratic leaner, but how strong of one might depend on the extent to which he identifies with his Native ancestry.

Race/ethnicity: Irish-American
Sexual orientation: Lesbian
Hometown: Waterford, NY
Current location: Niskayuna, NY
Religion: Catholic; drifted away in adolescence and resumed practicing after college
Relationship status: Single; a male friend beards for her as needed
Occupation: Mid-level bureaucrat in the New York State Department of State
Education: BA in international relations and Arabic
Hobbies: Baking, fiber crafts, listening to audiobooks and podcasts, learning languages, learning about Middle Eastern history and culture, attending religious services and events
Other pertinent info: From a lower-middle-class family. Loves old-school science fiction. Keeps crested geckos.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2020, 01:09:18 AM »

She is a close friend of mine and yep, she's a "leftcath starter pack" Berniecrat with a dash of foreign policy realism for spice. Went to the mattresses for Biden in the general, though.

*skip*
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »

I think our black Catholic convert firefighter friend is probably a Democrat, although he might be susceptible to appeals from a #populist Purple heart Republican less personally repellent and less racist than Trump. He also sounds like an awesome person.

Here's one based on a few people I know, but much more loosely and more of a mix-and-match of different people's attributes.

Race/ethnicity: Jewish
Hometown: Harrisburg, PA
Current location: Keene, NH
Religion: Catholic, raised by convert parents
Relationship status: In a relationship with another man
Education: Current college student, bio major
Hobbies: Video games, comic books, going to Latin Mass, exercise (swimming, running, skiing), complaining about Pope Francis on social media
Other pertinent info: Has been called the K-word by a Feeneyite priest one of his friends knows.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2020, 09:39:02 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2020, 09:48:27 AM by Marxpilled Red Tory »

If he were a Catholic, or even a Protestant who wasn't a literal Orangeman, a semi-retired farmer and auctioneer from Cavan would be an easy Fianna Fail voter, but as it is, who knows? My guess is he probably cycles through various minor crankish right-wing outfits, although he might currently see Fine Gael as a lesser evil because it's less explicitly republican/nationalist than the other major parties.

Race/ethnicity: Irish-American
Hometown and current location: Morristown, NJ
Religion: Agnostic
Relationship status: Married with a young adult stepchild
Education: Some college
Hobbies: Amateur astronomy, learning about history, cooking, keeping houseplants, photography, hiking
Other pertinent info: Lifelong Star Trek fan, and it has influenced his worldview.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2020, 10:25:31 AM by Marxpilled Red Tory »

Assuming he started voting when he was eighteen in 1984, Reagan-Dukakis-Clinton-Clinton-Bush-Bush-Obama-Romney-Trump-Biden. Romney's the one I'm least sure about, but I do see him as having developed an anti-incumbent streak over the years.

Mine was my stepfather, and yeah, his voting behavior is Generic D, although his actual views On The Issues are a bit further left.

Someone else feel free to create the next character!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »

Young nominal Congregationalist from Vermont sounds pretty Democratic at the federal level to me, although he might have flirted with Trump or with a Bernie write-in in 2016 had he been old enough. On the state level he's probably a "competence" voter and a pretty big Phil Scott fan.

Next one is completely made-up (in that she's from a story, but one I wrote myself):

Race/ethnicity: Italian-American dad, Jewish mom
Sexual orientation: Asexual, prefers the platonic company of other women, only ever has sex in connection with her work (see occupation, below)
Religion: Semi-serious Catholic
Hometown: Bordentown, NJ
Current location: Silver Spring, MD
Education: BA in Russian literature
Hobbies: Attending live comedy shows, hiking, swimming, furniture shopping, learning languages, trying new restaurants, getting drunk
Other pertinent info: Fervently patriotic but has grown to hate her job over the years.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »

The story is set in the 1960s and 70s and yeah, in it she's a Scoop Jackson Cold Warrior Democrat who defects for Nixon in 1972.

Your lesbian Southern belle translator is definitely a Democrat in the current alignment but might have been amenable to the GOP as recently as 2008 had she been old enough.

Here's another from a story I wrote.

Race/ethnicity: Generic "white ethnic"
Religion: Nominally Catholic
Hometown: Honolulu, HI
Residence: Fort Dix, NJ
Education: High school diploma
Hobbies: Photography, swing dancing, motorcycling, hunting
Other pertinent info: Lied about her age and residence to get into the Army.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »

Oh. You wrote a story about a half-Italian half-Jewish Catholic woman with a BA in literature who's a CIA field agent. That's so Nathan.

It is, in fact, generally thought by my friends and family to be the best thing I've ever written.

The corporal originally from Hawaii sounds like she's usually a Republican but went for Biden this year after the "losers and suckers" comment. I could be wrong though.

This story is set during WWII and the character, a member of the Women's Army Corps, is a pro-FDR hack, but that's exactly how I imagine her in 2020, yeah.

*skip*
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »

Low-information, low-propensity, and has achieved a state of utmost ataraxia about the political day-to-day. Never does a Trump tweet, an epic clapback, or a government shutdown near-miss disturb the creamy surface of his psyche. Good for him. He votes mostly for Democrats, though.

Based on a fictional character ('tis the season!):

Ethnicity: Irish-American
Relationship status: Married, four young children
Hometown and current location: A small town in Upstate New York
Religion: Semi-serious Catholic
Education: High school plus vocational training
Hobbies: Reading about architecture, participating in civic life, drinking with his friends. Also something of a railfan.
Other pertinent info: Has had a mystical experience in the very recent past. Younger brother is a decorated war hero.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2020, 12:46:24 AM »

I know exactly who this is and I unfortunately think he would be a Democrat today.

*EDIT* I meant Jim Jones. gracile's character is also probably a Democrat, and is likely not the kind of Hispanic voter who'd be at all liable to shift towards Trump in 2020.

By the way, mine was George Bailey of It's a Wonderful Life fame; it's a very small-c conservative movie made by a mostly Old Right creative team but is interested enough in the material wellbeing of the poor and hostile enough to venality on the part of the rich that it comes across as having a leftist message in our own far more right-wing era. So, yeah, I think Obama-Obama-Trump-Biden is about right.

Another fictional character:

Race/ethnicity: Japanese
Sexual orientation: Isn't quite sure yet
Relationship status: Single but has engaged in "compensated dating" practices
Hometown: Sunnyvale, CA
Current location: Miyagi Prefecture, Japan
Religion: Soto Zen
Education: High school dropout
Occupation: Teen quasi-prostitute (see above) and generalized lowlife dropout. Aspires to be a nun.
Hobbies: Reading manga, studying French, learning about Buddhism, visiting family, blogging
Other pertinent info: Born in Tokyo to Japanese parents but grew up in the US before returning to Japan in late childhood.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2020, 02:23:42 AM »
« Edited: December 25, 2020, 02:29:44 AM by Marxpilled Red Tory »

I know exactly who this is and I unfortunately think he would be a Democrat today.

*EDIT* I meant Jim Jones. gracile's character is also probably a Democrat, and is likely not the kind of Hispanic voter who'd be at all liable to shift towards Trump in 2020.

By the way, mine was George Bailey of It's a Wonderful Life fame; it's a very small-c conservative movie made by a mostly Old Right creative team but is interested enough in the material wellbeing of the poor and hostile enough to venality on the part of the rich that it comes across as having a leftist message in our own far more right-wing era. So, yeah, I think Obama-Obama-Trump-Biden is about right.

Another fictional character:

Race/ethnicity: Japanese
Sexual orientation: Isn't quite sure yet
Relationship status: Single but has engaged in "compensated dating" practices
Hometown: Sunnyvale, CA
Current location: Miyagi Prefecture, Japan
Religion: Soto Zen
Education: High school dropout
Occupation: Teen quasi-prostitute (see above) and generalized lowlife dropout. Aspires to be a nun.
Hobbies: Reading manga, studying French, learning about Buddhism, visiting family, blogging
Other pertinent info: Born in Tokyo to Japanese parents but grew up in the US before returning to Japan in late childhood.

I intended to add I was more curious who Jim Jones would have supported in the primaries. His (albeit cultistic) far-left views imply support for Sanders but his ties to Bay Area Establishment figures and the endorsements of other Sixties New Left figures such as Tom Hayden may have meant he would have backed Harris or Biden.

Yeah, that's actually a very interesting question, one I don't have a good answer for.

Interesting you made Bailey Irish Catholic, since I always read him as a WASP character

We very briefly see inside what's supposed to be his church (in the V-E Day and V-J Day sequence), and it's pretty obviously Catholic; otherwise I'd have pegged him as a WASP too. Jimmy Stewart was Scots-Irish Presbyterian himself, of course.

I'm guessing "nun" means a Buddhist nun? Definitely a Bernie supporter in the context of American politics and probably supports the Reiwa Shinsengumi in Japanese politics. Definitely hates Abe and the incumbent LDP government. Curious where she's from.

The character is Yasutani Nao from A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki and, yes, she wants to be a Buddhist nun. The book is pretty clearly anti-LDP and anti-"Japanese exceptionalism", although it's not a political novel as such.

Yours is Othello, and is a Luciana Lamorgese-esque unideological center-left-adjacent national security institutionalist.

Relationship status: Divorced
Hometown: London
Current location: An army base in Wiltshire
Education: Oxford dropout, later got a degree in fine arts from a less prestigious institution
Hobbies: His prior occupation, painting, has also been his main hobby for most of his life. Other leisure pursuits mostly bring up bad memories.
Other pertinent info: Has extremely upper-class social connections, but strong personal animosities with many of the individuals involved.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2020, 04:53:53 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2020, 05:02:04 PM by Marxpilled Red Tory »

Your DL oil worker is probably at least mildly Trumpy, but not a Stop the Steal/QAnon diehard or anything. Might have voted for Heitkamp in 2012 if he was already in North Dakota by then, but definitely for statewide and Congressional Republicans since.

My last guy was Charles Ryder from Brideshead Revisited. In the book he's of pretty clearly reactionary sympathies, but the preferences and prejudices of the British upper-middle class have definitely changed a lot since it was written.

Somebody else feel free to post the next person.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2020, 11:31:59 PM »

Boy, you know how to pick 'em, Mung Beans!

She might have gone McMullin->Biden. I doubt she has any patience for Trump even after four years of getting inured to him, but who knows?

Sexual orientation: Gay
Relationship status: Casually dating someone
Religion: Atheist
Hometown: Moscow
Current residence: The same US naval base as my character from a page or two back
Education: Came up through KGB-adjacent schooling back in the bad old days
Hobbies: Reading, going to restaurants on-base, meddling in local politics
Other pertinent info: Defected under unclear circumstances about five years ago.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2020, 08:20:37 PM »

Asenath's character sounds like she might actually be the actual Asenath Waite! goodforher.gif

Yeah, but I don't know what the Celts thought exactly, and her interests overlap with a Christian period as well, although I remember Nathan once mentioning medieval Irish saints legends where the miracle performed by the saint... is a termination of pregnancy.

There are a few such stories from a very early period, yes. Later into the Middle Ages it's no longer attested.

Next person, based on someone I used to be friends with but no longer am:

Race/ethnicity: Pashtun
Hometown: Cairns, Queensland
Current location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Religion: Semi-serious Muslim
Relationship status: Divorced a few years ago after cheating on her husband, perpetual string of shallow and non-exclusive relationships since then, identifies as "solo poly"
Education: BS in biology, working on a law degree
Occupation: Intern at a law firm and has extremely-on-Instagram simps who send her money
Interests and hobbies: Science fiction and fantasy, fashion, history, comparative religions, travel (pre-COVID), sports (is an Indianapolis Colts fan for some reason)
Other pertinent info: Is descended from Muhammad Ayub Khan.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies