Opinion of American drone policies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of American drone policies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Do you approve of using drone aircraft to kill suspected terrorists overseas?
Yes, even if they're American citizens

Yes, but only if they're not American citizens

No, regardless of citizenship

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Opinion of American drone policies  (Read 11752 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:59:25 PM »

it's your choose

I pick option 1 of course.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:09:21 PM »

Extrajudicial killing should NEVER happen, period. Yes, I've no problem saying Obama disappointed me big time on "war on terror" issues.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »

It's Obama's worst policy and the reason why I am no longer a Democrat
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »

It's Obama's worst policy and the reason why I am no longer a Democrat a Ron Paul Republican.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »

Amen
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »

It's Obama's worst policy and the reason why I am no longer a Democrat a Ron Paul Republican.

When a Greenie and a Paulite agree so strongly on something, you know whoever's on the other side is  heavily in the wrong.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:36:02 PM »

When a Greenie and a Paulite agree so strongly on something, you know whoever's on the other side is  heavily in the wrong.
Exactly

Paul/Nader '16 !!!!!
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »

Exactly

Paul/Nader '16 !!!!!

*coughNader/Paul2016cough*

As long as it's Ron and not Rand, anyway
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »

Option 1.

Regardless, the "American citizen" thing is entirely superfluous.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »

Suspected terrorists? No way.
Known terrorists Yes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »

lol, yeah those left-wing and paultard loons who think 9/11 was an inside job must be right
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »

Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, killed while eating dinner at a restaurant in Yemen, age 16, two weeks after his father's death.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:36 PM »

lol, yeah those left-wing and paultard loons who think 9/11 was an inside job must be right

IDK where you got the 9/11 part from. We're grounded enough in reality to know that wasn't an inside job.

...or at least the Greenie is. Only speaking for myself.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:13:54 PM »

If the choice is between invading and occupying failed states (Bush's way) and drone strikes (Obama's way), I think drone strikes are a fantastic policy.  The evidence we have seems to show that the drone strikes have significantly disrupted Al Qaeda and killed a large number of their leadership.

I really don't understand this civil liberties argument in regard to drones.  Drone strikes are in retaliation against terrorist attacks on the United States.  They are legal under international law as self-defense.  Armed conflicts kill people, both "innocent" and "guilty."  That's incredibly sad but, saying death due to legal military action is extrajudicial is missing the point.  Many more people died in WWII or the Korean conflict.  There was no judge making a legal determinations about every Chinese or German soldier. 
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »

Drones are the right way to go about obliterating these terrorist groups. The remnants of al Queada have been decimated by drone strikes.

Less civilian deaths would be preferable, however.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 10:21:16 PM »

If the choice is between invading and occupying failed states (Bush's way) and drone strikes (Obama's way), I think drone strikes are a fantastic policy.  The evidence we have seems to show that the drone strikes have significantly disrupted Al Qaeda and killed a large number of their leadership.

I really don't understand this civil liberties argument in regard to drones.  Drone strikes are in retaliation against terrorist attacks on the United States.  They are legal under international law as self-defense.  Armed conflicts kill people, both "innocent" and "guilty."  That's incredibly sad but, saying death due to legal military action is extrajudicial is missing the point.  Many more people died in WWII or the Korean conflict.  There was no judge making a legal determinations about every Chinese or German soldier. 

Well said.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »

Extrajudicial killing should NEVER happen, period. Yes, I've no problem saying Obama disappointed me big time on "war on terror" issues.

Haven't agreed with you more! One of the fundamental liberal values is the right to a fair trial.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »

Except the choice is between drone strikes, drone strikes w/out killing US citizens, or no drone strikes.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »

Except the choice is between drone strikes, drone strikes w/out killing US citizens, or no drone strikes.

Well, I think the citizen distinction is spurious which is kind of what I said.  At least until we invent foreigner seeking missiles...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 03:19:46 AM »

Wufer Tebeges them.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 06:03:17 AM »

I don't really mind the killing - after all it is in the nature of the beast - but what I do mind is the silly term 'terrorist'.  I'm so tired of all the transparent propaganda!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 06:33:07 AM »

I certainly don't lose sleep over terrorists getting killed. I don't really give a sh**t if they're "Canadian" or "American" citizens. I lived in Riyadh during a hot terrorist season and I remember what it was like, so I'm not gonna be a bleeding heart on this.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:33 AM »

I certainly don't lose sleep over terrorists getting killed. I don't really give a sh**t if they're "Canadian" or "American" citizens. I lived in Riyadh during a hot terrorist season and I remember what it was like, so I'm not gonna be a bleeding heart on this.

But do you have to call them 'terrorists'?  Its just so irritating that people still accept that nonsensical appellation.  Couldn't we agree to call them 'resistance fighters' or 'guerrillas' or something like this?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 08:56:56 AM »

IDK where you got the 9/11 part from. We're grounded enough in reality to know that wasn't an inside job.

...or at least the Greenie is. Only speaking for myself.

What a strange world we live in, where Lief supports extra-judicial killings and calls us the extremists.

Hint: If you send robots to shoot at people who've barely heard of indoor plumbing, you are the Empire. They are the bloody Ewoks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies