Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:38:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 192590 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« on: March 18, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »

I do think it’s kind of interesting that in 20 years the Quebec sovereignty went from the precipice of victory to basically completely dead.

Who even are the souveranistes anymore?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »

Any clue unto what this party might be named? I don't know why I'm so interested in that rather small detail, but I am.

No idea, but I bet it will be something vague and boring.

Strong words coming from an NDP supporter  Tongue

Cheesy Hey, when did I ever say I liked the name? At least it beats "New Party".

Lol. Maybe we should just go with 'The Party'. It's got a nice Soviet ring to it Tongue

In all sincerity, Bernier would probably try to come up with something idiosyncratic, knowing his enormous ego. I'm thinking something like 'En Marche' by Macron.
The MAXimum Bparty
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »

Any clue unto what this party might be named? I don't know why I'm so interested in that rather small detail, but I am.

Cheesy Hey, when did I ever say I liked the name? At least it beats "New Party".
Or "the Waffle."
The Waffle is a good name actually
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:59:15 PM »

Or "the Waffle."
The Waffle is a good name actually

The Waffle is actually a name of a left wing movement within the NDP back in the 70s so not sure that would work so well.  They were a group within the NDP who wanted to move it a lot further to the left.
Yes, I know.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »

He hasn’t stepped in it over major issues? What? He got into a civil war with his caucus over abortion, feuds daily with a successful premier from a provincial arm of his party over pipelines, and was seen by some as being too earnest when it came to his strategy for dealing with allegations of abuse/harassment against members of his party.

I won’t rip him to shreds, but there’s no way he could be called a success. Not only has he been an ineffective and hollow spokesperson, but his decision to not immediately seek a seat has since proven to be a huge blunder. He has very little credibility among his own caucus, has not built important intra-party relationships, and has now accumulated such a stink of failure that there’s very little he can do to get out from under it even if he manages to do everything perfectly up to the election. It’s not fair, but it’s the reality. He had lots of chances.

So I maintain that the party made a huge mistake turfing and disrespecting Mulcair. He did not meet expectations in 2015, I’ll grant that. But people saw him and knew he was tough and capable. A bit of course correction for 2019 and he could have been the perfect counterpoint to Trudeau.

Hot, unprovable take: if Mulcair was still leader the party would be polling exactly where it is right now.

But I found Tom Mulcair to be the exact wrong person to lead the party after Layton's death and never quite forgave him for running to the center in 2015, so...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies