Trump vs Harris - Arizona 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:24:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump vs Harris - Arizona 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Trump vs Harris, Arizona
Solid Trump

Likely Trump

Lean or tilt Trump

Toss-Up

Lean or tilt Harris

Likely Harris

Solid Harris

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Trump vs Harris - Arizona 2020  (Read 1820 times)
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »

What would Arizona be like in a Harris vs Trump matchup in 2020?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:21:08 PM »

Lean Harris.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »

Tilt Harris
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »

Tossup Tilt Trump because is the incumbent,though it could be a pure toss up or maybe lean Harris if Harris turns out to be surprisingly strong Candidate. If the economy is in recession I could see it leaning Harris.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »

Toss-up if Trump's approval ratings avgs at least 45% and lean or tilts Harris if it avgs under 45%.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »

Lean/Tilt Harris.

Honestly it's difficult for me to envision Trump winning Maricopa County in 2020, (and with it Arizona), regardless of whomever the Democrats choose to select as their nominee.

Considering Trump only received 47.7% of the Maricopa County Vote in 2016, and won it by less than 3% against HRC, who had some major liabilities with Registered Independent voters, it is difficult to see Trump improving his performance here.

We not only have some significant demographic changes in Maricopa County, with a relatively fast growing Metro area experiencing both net population growth from outside of Arizona, but additionally a growing chunk of younger voters coming of age, that are a fairly ethnically diverse lot, as well as politically one of Trump's weakest Demographics.

I mean if we look for example at what happened in CD-08 in the 2018 Special Election, which had one of the smallest swings between '12 and '16 between the major parties compared to many other parts of Maricopa County, it is looking pretty grim within the "breadbasket of Arizona voters".

Sure it's *possible* that Latino turnout might drop in 2020 compared to 2016 without "Sheriff Joe" on the ballot.... it's entirely possible that suddenly Middle and Upper-Middle Class Anglos might swing back a bit if they feel they are getting a major tax cut gain courtesy of Mr. Trump....

The problem is we don't have any real evidence that this is happening at all at this point, and if anything what data point we do have post November '16 would appear to indicate the opposite is occurring with a significant erosion of support among the most reliably Republican demographic, Anglo Senior Citizens sitting on some fairly comfortable assets when it comes to their retirement homes, that appear to be a bit upset at the Republican's attempt to gut "Obamacare" / Affordable Care Act.

I suspect we'll have a better clue on this come November 2018, which again should likely represent a much more favorable electorate for Republicans than a Presidential Election Year.

Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »

If a Democratic Candidate wins Maricopa County by 4%, would that be enough to win the entire state in 2020?
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:29:27 PM »

Tossup/Tilt R. Trumps approval in Arizona is better than the national average.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:33:19 PM »

If a Democratic Candidate wins Maricopa County by 4%, would that be enough to win the entire state in 2020?

Traditionally Maricopa County votes more Republican than all of the other counties in the State combined, and accounts for an overwhelming chunk of the total Arizona Voting population regardless of Primary, GE, Presidential/ off-year elections....

This is heavily caused by Pima County (Tucson and suburban/exurban/rural), as well as to some extent significant Native American and Rural Latino populations elsewhere in the State....

If a Democratic Candidate is winning Maricopa by 4%, they are likely winning a statewide election in Arizona by more like 6%..... (Ballpark math here off the top of my head).

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »

Tilt R
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 11:19:07 PM »

Traditionally Maricopa County votes more Republican than all of the other counties in the State combined, and accounts for an overwhelming chunk of the total Arizona Voting population regardless of Primary, GE, Presidential/ off-year elections....

This is heavily caused by Pima County (Tucson and suburban/exurban/rural), as well as to some extent significant Native American and Rural Latino populations elsewhere in the State....

If a Democratic Candidate is winning Maricopa by 4%, they are likely winning a statewide election in Arizona by more like 6%..... (Ballpark math here off the top of my head).

This. One thing people forget about 2016 election is how bad Clinton did with native Americans in general, so the rural Arizona counties are likely to swing back towards the Dems in 2020 (unless Warren is the nominee).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 11:34:23 PM »

here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 07:02:44 AM »

Tossup, but if you put a gun to my head I'd say Harris wins.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 01:07:47 PM »

Tossup, but if you put a gun to my head I'd say Harris wins.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »

Arizona looks as if it might go 51-47 for just about any Democrat.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »

Tossup. I'm still not convinced that 2020 will be the year for Arizona to vote Democratic again but it will definitely be competitive, or should I say Maricopa County will be competitive.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »

Tilt Harris. I would expect her to do particularly well in the Southwest.

I also think Trump's pardon of Arpaio could really hurt him in Maricopa County should Harris choose to use it in her campaign in AZ. Let's not forget that Arpaio was ousted by a pretty significant margin there in 2016 (and he's not definitely not any more popular now, probably less so if anything), and if Trump loses Maricopa County it's probably over for him statewide.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »

Tilt Harris. I would expect her to do particularly well in the Southwest.

I also think Trump's pardon of Arpaio could really hurt him in Maricopa County should Harris choose to use it in her campaign in AZ. Let's not forget that Arpaio was ousted by a pretty significant margin there in 2016 (and he's not definitely not any more popular now, probably less so if anything), and if Trump loses Maricopa County it's probably over for him statewide.
A few Trump voters even voted for Paul Penzone. I don't think that small group of voters will forgive Trump for pardoning Arpaio. I think Harris wins Maricopa County and narrowly wins Arizona.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »

Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »

A razor thin Harris victory in AZ could look like this.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »

Tilt R,  Harris is likely to lose to Trump
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: