Last call: Does Trump win the popular vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 12:10:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Last call: Does Trump win the popular vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What it says on the tin
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 143

Author Topic: Last call: Does Trump win the popular vote?  (Read 2673 times)
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« on: November 12, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »
« edited: November 12, 2016, 06:39:22 PM by EpicHistory »

So it seems to end  C ~+1.8, hehe. What was the record? Cheesy

If I understand the formula for calculating PVI, this means North Carolina is now trending fairly strongly Republican, while Florida, Colorado, Texas, and Nevada are doing likewise at a lesser margin. If you adjust Virginia for the perfect storm of factors that hit Trump there this year, it stayed even or even slightly trended Republican.

We're definitely in a realignment folks, and the whole notion of those states trending D just got blown wide open.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »

All of the states you mentioned except for Nevada trended D (might change a bit with the final count), Texas had the second biggest D trend of all states.

I'm talking about trend, not margin which are two distinct things. Even I was talking about margin, you'd still be wrong with regards to them all trending D because they only one that did that was Texas. North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, and Florida all trended Republican margin wise as well.
Yes, he doesn't know what he is talking about.  First of all, Clinton is likely to win the final PV by 1, not by 2.

Actually I do, I'm talking about trend, not margin. You can apologize for attempting to lambaste me when you didn't know what I was talking about. Second of all, according to the NYT, her margin is currently at 1.7%, and as you should know the general rule of thumb is to round up past 5.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Margin wise? Absolutely. Trend wise, however? It's actually the opposite if I'm doing the Cook PVI calculations correct. Let us look, shall we?

Texas -
Going into this cycle, Texas had a PVI of R+10. With Clinton at a 2% margin, this means Texas was 11% to the right of the nation which gives it a PVI of R+11. Now, under Cook's forumla, you add the 2012 PVI with the 2016 PVI, then divide by twp (Again, if I understand it correctly). This gives you 21/2, which is 10.5 and thus you round up to get R+11. So, a slight shift to the right in the Lone Star state.

Florida -
Florida's PVI going into this was R+2, and for this cycle was R+3. Add the two together, divide by two and you get Florida likewise nudging up to R+3.

Nevada -
Going into this election, Nevada held a PVI of D+2 while their PVI for this cycle was EVEN. Add the two together, and Nevada's PVI falls to D+1.

Colorado -
Going in, Colorado was D+1 and ended up being D+1. We don't even have to do the math on this one to realize their PVI remained the same.

North Carolina -
Going in, they were R+3 with the final result being R+6. Add them up, and then divided them and you get a new PVI of R+5.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies