Do you own a ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:55:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you own a ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: telescope ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Do you own a ...  (Read 683 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »

Yes, I got one when I was about 12 or so and I'm thinking about buying a new really good one.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »

No. No interest in owning one, either, to be honest.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:08:25 PM »

Yes, I got one for my past birthday.  Unfortunately, it is way to high powered, and after a few failed attempts at getting it focus on a star, I put it back in the garage.  Does anyone have any tips on using telescopes.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:00:11 PM »

Yes. Astronomy and elections are two of my nerdy interests that I don't divulge to anyone IRL
Rochambeau jk I'm Hamilton
Conservatarian1989
Rookie
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

I used to, I sold it back in 2007 right before I left for college.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:18:29 PM »

Yes, binoculars too.

jmfcst seems to be the local astronomy expert.  I sent him a message before buying a set of binoculars for my son to get his opinion.  He recommended a particular telescope to me also.  Send him a message if you're thinking about buying one.  Also, talk to the folks in your physics department.  Ours has a little observatory on top of my building, and on Thursdays they do shows for the kiddies.  Yours probably has some decent scopes as well, or could at least point you in the right direction.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »

Unfortunately, it is way to high powered, and after a few failed attempts at getting it focus on a star, I put it back in the garage.  Does anyone have any tips on using telescopes.

post a pic of the model you own...couple of things you must first do with any scope:

1) align the finder scope with the main scope:  start in daytime looking through the main scope at an object on the horizon (e.q. top of distant telephone pole...but, obviously, NEVER point it anywhere near the sun), and start with the lowest power eyepiece...once centered in main scope, align the finder scope to the main scope without moving the main scope.  Once object is centered in both finder and main scope at the same time, then your finder is aligned to you main scope and now whenever you attempt to look at something, you start by moving the mount until object is centered in the finder scope and then move to the main scope for closer viewing (starting with lowest power eyepiece).

2) aim the scope, by adjusting the mount, at something big in the sky like the moon or a very bright star, and start with the finder scope and once it is centered in the finder, look through the main instrument and ALWAYS start with the lowest power eyepiece.  Center moon in main instrument and focus

3) learn how to properly work your mount...if it is an equatorial mount, it is NOT going to be trivial and the instructions may seem confusing
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies