shouldn't liberals be for guns? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:56:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  shouldn't liberals be for guns? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: shouldn't liberals be for guns?  (Read 3898 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: February 19, 2005, 10:35:29 PM »

Something simple I've been pondering.  On the basic political spectrum, conservatives are for economic liberty, but want government involved in social matters.  Liberals want social liberty, but want the government involved in economic matter. 

The saying that liberals want more social liberty and less economic liberty on every issue (and the reverse for conservatives) is oversimplistic.

It is true in general, but there are many exceptions. Guns and tobacco are the exceptions in the social realm, and in the economic realm, conservatives tend to favor more government in the areas of military spending, spending on NASA, and gambling and prostitution.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 11:19:42 PM »

Something simple I've been pondering.  On the basic political spectrum, conservatives are for economic liberty, but want government involved in social matters.  Liberals want social liberty, but want the government involved in economic matter. 

The saying that liberals want more social liberty and less economic liberty on every issue (and the reverse for conservatives) is oversimplistic.

It is true in general, but there are many exceptions. Guns and tobacco are the exceptions in the social realm, and in the economic realm, conservatives tend to favor more government in the areas of military spending, spending on NASA, and gambling and prostitution.

I agree with the sentiment of this statement, but:

1.military spending isn't exactly economic or social, I'd put it in a class of it's own.
2. Gambling and prostitution are opposed by conservatives for social reasons, in general, not economic, so it fits the stereotype. Liberals often oppose lotteries because they think it hurts the poor economically. There can be multiple reasons to oppose or favor something, not just social or economic.

I would agree with your analysis, and would also add that guns and tobacco are opposed by liberals for public health reasons--which is consistent with liberals' belief in increased economic involvement in public health.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies