should public secondary schools end sports (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:02:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should public secondary schools end sports (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: should public secondary schools end sports
yes

yes, less organized intramurel sports are fine

just the more "violent" ones

meh

no

oh hell no

you just don't get it dead0

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: should public secondary schools end sports  (Read 402 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« on: October 30, 2020, 03:54:49 AM »

Athletics are one of the only useful things funded at the secondary school level. They should receive significantly more funding.

I can certainly see an argument for reducing how much is spent on them, especially football. Not because football is a potentially dangerous sport, which it is,but the amount of money spent on the stadium can be ridiculous.

It’s quite unbelievable that down in Texas, there are high school stadiums with 20,000 capacity - the size of a small English Premier League stadium.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »

Athletics are one of the only useful things funded at the secondary school level. They should receive significantly more funding.

I can certainly see an argument for reducing how much is spent on them, especially football. Not because football is a potentially dangerous sport, which it is,but the amount of money spent on the stadium can be ridiculous.

It’s quite unbelievable that down in Texas, there are high school stadiums with 20,000 capacity - the size of a small English Premier League stadium.

It's quite unbelievable that high schools there have stadiums at all, if you ask me.

Yep - a rather alien concept for us Europeans!
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »

It's quite unbelievable that high schools there have stadiums at all, if you ask me.

Yep - a rather alien concept for us Europeans!

Keep in mind that in America's civic culture, especially in small towns, schools are the one community-wide institution in local communities.

I guess the other relevant cultural difference is that in America, most participation in the major team sports is through academic institutions (certainly if you harbour professional hopes), whereas in Europe, while there are school teams, if you are serious about your sport you will be a member of a club outside of school.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies