TX-SEN: True to Form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:52:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN: True to Form
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 68
Author Topic: TX-SEN: True to Form  (Read 159704 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: September 16, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »

Hilarious to see Ted Cruz (principled Conservative fighter) running on the vitally important issue of NFL players standing.

The ad is hilarious for showing the reaction that Beto gets from the crowd- whilst the veteran gets a scant rounds of applause from an audience of people in their mid 80s.

But usual disclaimer about TV ads- they don't matter, they're never as important, they don't sway voters that Beto needs etc.  

Those 80 year olds are the electorate of Panola County, TX.

And anyway, if you look at the crowd, it is pretty clear they are not all that old. They are prime voting age, and vote they will.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1001 on: September 16, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »

Compare with Beto though.

The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1002 on: September 16, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »

Compare with Beto though.

Compare with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood_Church

Hint - Obama did not win Texas.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1003 on: September 16, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »

The reality is that the folks in the Cruz campaign wish that they A.) Had the donor base B.) Had the grassroots enthuatism that Beto's campaign has had.

I've always been one to dismiss crowd/enthusiasm/momentum (see Corbyn 2015/Sanders 2016/Trump 2016) but the reality is that in every campaign I wished that the candidate I supported was able to actually get folks to turn out on a Saturday, and Sunday afternoon.

Cruz will probably win, but it's still fun to watch a genuinely authentic politician not be so god damn afraid of his own shadow. 
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1004 on: September 16, 2018, 02:21:23 PM »

The reality is that the folks in the Cruz campaign wish that they A.) Had the donor base B.) Had the grassroots enthuatism that Beto's campaign has had.

I've always been one to dismiss crowd/enthusiasm/momentum (see Corbyn 2015/Sanders 2016/Trump 2016) but the reality is that in every campaign I wished that the candidate I supported was able to actually get folks to turn out on a Saturday, and Sunday afternoon.

Cruz will probably win, but it's still fun to watch a genuinely authentic politician not be so god damn afraid of his own shadow. 

I do agree with all that. I like Beto very much and will vote for him quite enthusiastically.

However, that does not mean that he will win. But it does speak to his skill as a politician that he has managed to successfully bamboozle large numbers of people into thinking that he actually has a realistic chance, and motivating people and giving them something to believe in for a better future is always a good thing.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1005 on: September 16, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »

Beto's campaign is the jolt of electric shock that the Texas Democratic Party needs if it wants to have even the slightest hint of a viable future.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1006 on: September 16, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »

After today’s news, I wonder which is more damaging for Cruz.
a) Voting for Kavanaugh and alienating independents, women in particular.
b) Voting against Kavanaugh to try and save face back home, cutting into the MAGA base.

I know this is a hypothetical given the current unknowns about the Kavanaugh confirmation, but Cruz is bound to be asked about it at the debates. Beto can just say that he opposes Kavanaugh, but Cruz has a tightrope to walk.

I’m sorry if this seems to be in bad taste, but it’s going to be a potentially important factor over the next few weeks. Given Kavanaugh’s historic unpopularity, even prior to the allegations this could be big with swingy suburban Romney Clinton voters.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1007 on: September 16, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »

b) Voting against Kavanaugh to try and save face back home, cutting into the MAGA base.

I know this is a hypothetical given the current unknowns about the Kavanaugh confirmation, but Cruz is bound to be asked about it at the debates. Beto can just say that he opposes Kavanaugh, but Cruz has a tightrope to walk.

I’m sorry if this seems to be in bad taste, but it’s going to be a potentially important factor over the next few weeks. Given Kavanaugh’s historic unpopularity, even prior to the allegations this could be big with swingy suburban Romney Clinton voters.
Not just the #MAGA base but your generic, cookie-cutter movement conservatives who are all gung-ho about issues like abortion, religious freedom laws, etc.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1008 on: September 16, 2018, 03:58:14 PM »

Not just the #MAGA base but your generic, cookie-cutter movement conservatives who are all gung-ho about issues like abortion, religious freedom laws, etc.

I think the optimal thing for Republicans/Cruz could be:

1) Immediately pull Kavanaugh's nomination.
2) Trump announces that he is nominating Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court, and hearings will begin in a week or two.
3) If still possible (not sure if that is the case under Texas law or not), Cruz is replaced on the ballot by some other Texas Republican who is much more popular than he is. If not, then Cruz and Abbott make a joint announcement that if Cruz is re-elected, he will immediately resign and Abbott will appoint insert-more-popular-Texas-Republican-here to fill the seat. So effectively Cruz is replaced on the ballot by that other more popular Texas Republican.
4) Cruz wins the election, helped by the fact that voters know it will not be him that actually serves out the term.
5) Cruz is confirmed and goes to the Supreme Court, resigns from the Senate, and the other TX Republican takes over his Senate seat.

Many Senators would also be very happy with this arrangement because it would mean Ted Cruz would be out of the Senate and they would not have to deal with him any more, since everyone hates him.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1009 on: September 16, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »

Beto needs to walk a very fine line with this Kavanaugh thing.  If Beto states that this sexual assault thing disqualifies Kavanaugh, I could easily see Team Cruz retorting back with "Oh, so what some guy does when he's in high school sullies his job prospects, but your DUI when you're 26 shouldn't disqualify you from this job?!"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1010 on: September 16, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »

Beto needs to walk a very fine line with this Kavanaugh thing.  If Beto states that this sexual assault thing disqualifies Kavanaugh, I could easily see Team Cruz retorting back with "Oh, so what some guy does when he's in high school sullies his job prospects, but your DUI when you're 26 shouldn't disqualify you from this job?!"

> rape
> drunk driving

Totally comparable
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1011 on: September 16, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »

> rape
> drunk driving

Totally comparable

Yeah, that comparison makes no sense. I think Beto will be quite fine...
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1012 on: September 16, 2018, 04:24:43 PM »

> rape
> drunk driving

Totally comparable

Yeah, that comparison makes no sense. I think Beto will be quite fine...

That doesn't mean Cruz won't try it.
That being said, Beto just has to say that he believes the accuser. Cruz still may be held to account based on his up-or-down vote. Having to explain his vote for Kavanaugh to independents and surburban women won't be fun
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1013 on: September 16, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »

> rape
> drunk driving

Totally comparable
You do realize drunk driving can result in the death of other drivers, passengers, and/or pedestrians, right?!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1014 on: September 16, 2018, 04:42:38 PM »

> rape
> drunk driving

Totally comparable
You do realize drunk driving can result in the death of other drivers, passengers, and/or pedestrians, right?!

That's not how morality works unless you're a hardcore utilitarian creep.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1015 on: September 16, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »

Every time Cruz has tried to hurt Beto with his personal past it has hurt Cruz more than it does Beto.

I don't think he'd respond like that.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1016 on: September 16, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »

Every time Cruz has tried to hurt Beto with his personal past it has hurt Cruz more than it does Beto.

I don't think he'd respond like that.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1017 on: September 17, 2018, 11:22:41 AM »

O'Rourke said on the show (at 5:34) that "they" (whoever that is) traveled all 254 counties of Texas.
Is that even possible, or is it just a saying?

O'Rourke's campaign absolutely has visited all 254 counties. It's something you can do when you're running in one state for a year and a half.

A lot of West Texas counties are, like, one town of under a thousand people separated 20-25 miles from the next one, so you can hit quite a few of them on one bus trip.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1018 on: September 17, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »

I think the optimal thing for Republicans/Cruz could be:

1) Immediately pull Kavanaugh's nomination.
2) Trump announces that he is nominating Ted Cruz to the Supreme Court, and hearings will begin in a week or two.
3) If still possible (not sure if that is the case under Texas law or not), Cruz is replaced on the ballot by some other Texas Republican who is much more popular than he is. If not, then Cruz and Abbott make a joint announcement that if Cruz is re-elected, he will immediately resign and Abbott will appoint insert-more-popular-Texas-Republican-here to fill the seat. So effectively Cruz is replaced on the ballot by that other more popular Texas Republican.
4) Cruz wins the election, helped by the fact that voters know it will not be him that actually serves out the term.
5) Cruz is confirmed and goes to the Supreme Court, resigns from the Senate, and the other TX Republican takes over his Senate seat.

Many Senators would also be very happy with this arrangement because it would mean Ted Cruz would be out of the Senate and they would not have to deal with him any more, since everyone hates him.

Given how much Ted Cruz's colleagues in the Senate dislike him, he might be coasting for a unanimous confirmation to the SCOTUS just to get him out of the Senate.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1019 on: September 17, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »

🚨🚨🚨 First time ever Cruz has dropped below 60 on the betting markets 🚨🚨🚨

Is this the end of Lyin Ted Cruz?!
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #1020 on: September 17, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »

Quinnipiac poll coming tomorrow.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1021 on: September 17, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »

One Republican Official Challenged Thousands Of Voter Registrations In His County. It Could Happen Elsewhere.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republican-challenge-voter-registration-houston_us_5b9fb69ce4b046313fbd65d3

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Welp, it wouldn't be a bonafide Texas election without dirty tricks I suppose
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1022 on: September 17, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2018, 07:29:23 PM by Cruz Will Win 👁 »

I'm going to guess it will have Cruz +5.

EDIT --- revising my prediction to Cruz +2 because Quinnipiac uses random digit dialing ---

An important thing to watch is the undecideds. If it is close, it will probably have high undecideds.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1023 on: September 17, 2018, 05:09:28 PM »

what were the results of the previous Quinnipiac polls
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp