Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:39:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33
Poll
Question: Rate the 2023 Kentucky gubernatorial election
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Tossup/tilt D

Tossup/tilt R

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 262

Author Topic: Kentucky 2023 gubernatorial election megathread  (Read 47413 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: November 06, 2023, 09:56:00 PM »

I think turnout is going to be very low.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #626 on: November 06, 2023, 10:01:23 PM »

I think I'm going to revise to Beshear+4.5
I don't trust the GOP anymore in these odd year elections especially after 2022 and Beshear seems like a strong enough incumbent to escape partisanship. I also had Bevin winning last time so I want to reduce my R bias. That being said Daniel Cameron seems like a great fit for the future of the KYGOP, and if he doesn't win tomorrow I hope he replaces McConnell.
oldkyhome
Rookie
United States

« Reply #627 on: November 06, 2023, 10:02:17 PM »

This, but it’ll mainly hurt Cameron. What the polls are missing is the crippling lack of Republican enthusiasm this cycle.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #628 on: November 06, 2023, 10:03:38 PM »

Really? I think the opposite.

I also think that if Andy loses, it will be in part because he failed to do enough to tie Cameron to the hated, 75% unfavorably rated Mitch McConnell. He should have emphasized their close ties and hinted that Cameron only views the governorship as a stepping stone to the Senate. If he hired me, that would have been the primary theme of this campaign. In the last few days/weeks especially, I worry because Cameron has gone full on blitzkrieg with advertisements painting Beshear as soft on crime, out of step with KY cultural values, and pro-Biden/anti-Trump. While Beshear's best response is "Hey, you know me and like me don't you?" and "Here's some doctors who don't like Cameron's healthcare plan." It just feels like he's bringing a knife to a gunfight, and like the Republicans have dumped a ton of money at the last minute into this race while the Democrats have failed to respond.

This is why I will sadly not be surprised by a loss tomorrow.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #629 on: November 06, 2023, 10:07:07 PM »

Not sure if this has been clarified yet as I've seen this said multiple times in this thread but Laura Kelly did not lose ground in her re-election - she increased her vote share against lower turnout, a significantly less favorable political climate, and a more popular opponent.

This is like arguing that Bob Dole did not "lose ground" compared to George H. W. Bush because he increased the R vote share between 1992 and 1996.

Different candidates, I know, but the elephant in the room here is Orman. You cannot compare a race with a high-profile independent challenger to one without as that will always affect vote share of the other candidate(s). Without Orman, Kelly would probably not have increased her vote share/the difference would have been near-negligible.

Your focus on vote share as opposed to margins works much better in polling, I think.
oldkyhome
Rookie
United States

« Reply #630 on: November 06, 2023, 10:11:05 PM »

I also think that if Andy loses, it will be in part because he failed to do enough to tie Cameron to the hated, 75% unfavorably rated Mitch McConnell. He should have emphasized their close ties and hinted that Cameron only views the governorship as a stepping stone to the Senate. If he hired me, that would have been the primary theme of this campaign. In the last few days/weeks especially, I worry because Cameron has gone full on blitzkrieg with advertisements painting Beshear as soft on crime, out of step with KY cultural values, and pro-Biden/anti-Trump. While Beshear's best response is "Hey, you know me and like me don't you?" and "Here's some doctors who don't like Cameron's healthcare plan." It just feels like he's bringing a knife to a gunfight, and like the Republicans have dumped a ton of money at the last minute into this race while the Democrats have failed to respond.

What polls have shown consistently over the past year is that almost without-exception Andy has locked up half of Kentucky voters. By galvanizing the other half of the electorate with petty personal attacks, he would not only supercharge his opposition but also probably alienate his own supporters who appreciate his uncontroversial good guy image.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #631 on: November 06, 2023, 10:21:16 PM »

What polls have shown consistently over the past year is that almost without-exception Andy has locked up half of Kentucky voters. By galvanizing the other half of the electorate with petty personal attacks, he would not only supercharge his opposition but also probably alienate his own supporters who appreciate his uncontroversial good guy image.

It would be a "petty personal attack" to go after Cameron for his personal life or worse, dogwhistle about his race. But going after him for his close and deep ties to Cocaine Mitch would NOT be a "petty personal attack," it would be fair game based on the fact that they really do have close and deep ties and it's purely political; there is a lot of evidence that Cameron is trying to game Kentucky politics to position himself the best to replace McConnell in the Senate. I don't understand why you leave that line of attack on the table.

Also you don't necessarily win with half or near-half of the electorate. You have to do SOMETHING to win over the swing voters. All I'm saying is this COULD have been a winning attack. We'll never know, I guess.
oldkyhome
Rookie
United States

« Reply #632 on: November 06, 2023, 10:25:59 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2023, 10:55:16 PM by oldkyhome »

It would be a "petty personal attack" to go after Cameron for his personal life or worse, dogwhistle about his race. But going after him for his close and deep ties to Cocaine Mitch would NOT be a "petty personal attack," it would be fair game based on the fact that they really do have close and deep ties and it's purely political; there is a lot of evidence that Cameron is trying to game Kentucky politics to position himself the best to replace McConnell in the Senate. I don't understand why you leave that line of attack on the table.

Also you don't necessarily win with half or near-half of the electorate. You have to do SOMETHING to win over the swing voters. All I'm saying is this COULD have been a winning attack. We'll never know, I guess.

I’m not sure voters would see it that way. Cameron and co’s onslaught of attacks during the July-August phase undoubtedly hurt his numbers and dampened enthusiasm in his ranks. Andy was smart to steer clear of that, I think.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #633 on: November 06, 2023, 10:34:44 PM »

Well, honestly folks I'm scared. I'm scared that I might have seen the last Democratic statewide victory in my home state in my lifetime in 2019. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But if I'm not?

Well I mourn the loss of Democratic Kentucky, and will go down knowing that I took a stand to try to stop it.

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #634 on: November 06, 2023, 11:22:07 PM »

Does anyone have the county benchmarks that Beshear needs to be hitting to win again? I was thinking of using 2019 since he barely one, but I feel like his coalition has shifted enough since then.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #635 on: November 06, 2023, 11:23:26 PM »

Does anyone have the county benchmarks that Beshear needs to be hitting to win again? I was thinking of using 2019 since he barely one, but I feel like his coalition has shifted enough since then.

Maybe use the 2022 abortion referendum (shifted a few points to the right), or the median between the two.
EastwoodS

« Reply #636 on: November 07, 2023, 12:39:30 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2023, 01:00:48 AM by EastwoodS »

Why are KY Democratic internals always D+8?😂😂😂😂like the KY Democratic Party could cease to exist tomorrow and I’m pretty sure their polls would still be D+8. This just means they’re tied but too afraid to admit it.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #637 on: November 07, 2023, 01:03:39 AM »

Why are KY Democratic internals always D+8?😂😂😂😂like the KY Democratic Party could cease to exist tomorrow and I’m pretty sure their polls would still be D+8. This just means they’re tied but too afraid to admit it.
The state has 8 electoral votes?
EastwoodS

« Reply #638 on: November 07, 2023, 01:19:45 AM »

The state has 8 electoral votes?
broke the matrix
BigSkyBob

« Reply #639 on: November 07, 2023, 06:51:57 AM »

The polls most certainly have not shown "Andy has locked up half of Kentucky voters." No poll has shown Andy Bashear to have the "certain support" of 50% of Kentuckians. Historically, over 50% well before the election was a good score; less than 50% a couple of week before the election was a lousy result; and less than 50% just before election day with few undecides was a mediocre score. The race has changed. We have witness Bashear slip from an almost commanding position to a mediocre one. He might pull it off. Then again, he might lose.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #640 on: November 07, 2023, 07:11:42 AM »

Ds are looking for the sweeper
Duke of York

« Reply #641 on: November 07, 2023, 07:19:54 AM »

Are you predicting Beshear wins?
EastwoodS

« Reply #642 on: November 07, 2023, 07:24:55 AM »

The polls most certainly have not shown "Andy has locked up half of Kentucky voters." No poll has shown Andy Bashear to have the "certain support" of 50% of Kentuckians. Historically, over 50% well before the election was a good score; less than 50% a couple of week before the election was a lousy result; and less than 50% just before election day with few undecides was a mediocre score. The race has changed. We have witness Bashear slip from an almost commanding position to a mediocre one. He might pull it off. Then again, he might lose.
The D internal had like 12% undecided? That makes no sense right before Election Day does it
BigSkyBob

« Reply #643 on: November 07, 2023, 07:54:14 AM »

The D internal had like 12% undecided? That makes no sense right before Election Day does it

It makes no sense whatsoever. It suggests to me selective "pushing" of the undecided vote probably those the pollster think are more apt to choose the candidate commissioning the poll.
walleye26

« Reply #644 on: November 07, 2023, 07:55:54 AM »

My guess will be Beshear +1.5. However, I wouldn’t be surprised by a Cameron win, this is Kentucky after all.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #645 on: November 07, 2023, 08:44:41 AM »

I get that partisanship is strong since its KY, but it's still weird to me that something happened here that we saw last year too -- this invisible "momentum" story that apparently every GOP candidate seems to get towards the end, when in fact, at least recently, most of the time it's completely not tied to reality and simply just made up.

Again, this is KY, and not PA, or AZ, or wherever. But still, Cameron has objectively done nothing differently in the last week or two that he's been doing the whole campaign, so any type of momentum outside of simply partisanship makes no sense to me.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #646 on: November 07, 2023, 08:52:38 AM »

I get that partisanship is strong since its KY, but it's still weird to me that something happened here that we saw last year too -- this invisible "momentum" story that apparently every GOP candidate seems to get towards the end, when in fact, at least recently, most of the time it's completely not tied to reality and simply just made up.

Again, this is KY, and not PA, or AZ, or wherever. But still, Cameron has objectively done nothing differently in the last week or two that he's been doing the whole campaign, so any type of momentum outside of simply partisanship makes no sense to me.

HAMAS.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #647 on: November 07, 2023, 08:55:10 AM »

In Kentucky and probably every other state and territory in America, there had long been a big chunk of economically liberal voters who almost always voted against Republicans because of things that happened under Reagan, George H.W. Bush, or people much earlier. This was not a fringe movement. The Democrats owed a lot of their wins to this large constituency. The Republican brand was poison to these voters.

These voters were common in very urban and very rural areas, but rare in rich suburbs.

But since 2020, this constituency has almost completely evaporated.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #648 on: November 07, 2023, 09:06:26 AM »

Where are voter turnout reports posted?
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #649 on: November 07, 2023, 10:32:23 AM »

At least when I used to do some work in campaigns, there are some "undecided voters" who always vote 1 way in the end, but really like thinking they are undecided for most of the race. I think the GOP recently has had  more of those voters. Could be related to trust.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies