How do you see the next British General Election going? Who wins? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:58:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How do you see the next British General Election going? Who wins? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you see the next British General Election going? Who wins?  (Read 3405 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« on: January 09, 2021, 09:15:34 PM »

Whilst the press are undoubtedly skewed towards us the broadcasters aren't.  I would be interested to know how much the newspaper bias really matters anyway.
After all if you are reading the Mail/Sun/Express/Times/Torygraph you probably aren't a Labour voter anyway.  So I kind of doubt that the biased press has as much impact as you (or they) think.
Eh lot of people read the tabloids even if they aren't that politically engaged. There's the famous statistics that there are more Labour Voters who read the Daily Mail than read the Guardian.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 08:43:31 AM »

I think Starmer will win, people are tired of the conservatives and so long as he is able to present a competent vision without the drama of Corbyn-Era Labour he'll be fine. I think a conservative leadership challenge is an irrelevant factor because
  • The conservative membership(which is tiny and skews to extremes) is incredibly angry meaning that the wrong candidate of the two presented can easily win if they wanna tap into that anger
  • Party games and prime ministers leaving is what has tired people with the Tories, and none of them have the presence to compete with Starmer
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 09:17:03 AM »

I'd put the chances at 50-50.  Sure there are loads of Tories who think he's rubbish.  There are even many that think he should go.  But there is no clear replacement waiting in the wings.  Gove seems to have had his chance and Patel and Raab are both from the Right so would compete over the same lane.  The more centrist candidate has won every contest since at least Howard and yet there is no obvious centrist waiting.

Rishi Sunak might seem like he checks all the boxes but (for now) he is intensely loyal to Boris and his approvals will fade soon anyway.

Struggling to see how you could argue that Johnson was the most centrist candidate in the 2019 leadership contest.
He did pivot to the center, weirdly announced he'd be in favour of an immigration amnesty and said a bunch of stuff that would normally be toxic in a leadership race.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies