Sarah Palin's daughter IS pregnant, actually (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:24:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sarah Palin's daughter IS pregnant, actually (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sarah Palin's daughter IS pregnant, actually  (Read 15068 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: September 01, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »

This should be amusing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:35:57 AM »

I might note the interesting timing of the release.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »

In terms of political impact, I suspect there might be a bit of negative movement over the next day or two as Republicans who were concerned about Palin drop off the radar screen for a while (depression).

But as for more than that, I doubt it.  The media in general won't touch the issue.  The lefty blogs will, it should be amusing to hear their moralistic preachings.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 12:09:33 PM »

In terms of political impact, I suspect there might be a bit of negative movement over the next day or two as Republicans who were concerned about Palin drop off the radar screen for a while (depression).

But as for more than that, I doubt it.  The media in general won't touch the issue.  The lefty blogs will, it should be amusing to hear their moralistic preachings.
How much traction will it get on the Christian Right?
That's the only place it might conceivably matter.

Probably not much, I suspect, if at all.  At least if I know the fundies as well (or socon Catholics) as I think I do.  Tongue  That's the reason why I said momentary depression - and it probably isn't among those types.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »

I would think this would have been a huge issue had Palin withheld the news from McCain.  It would have reflected badly on her as dishonest and putting her own ambitions ahead of the campaign.

That not being the case, I can't imagine it being an issue unless someone on the other side attempts to make it an issue.  If that happens, it would boomerang badly.

There is potential here for the MSM to bury themselves a little deeper and I'm not sure they can help themselves.

The MSM is not stupid enough to cover this heavily.  Except for Olbermann, probably.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:24:57 PM »

I don't know Sam.  I predict their line will be - what does it say about her as a mother that she was willing to join the ticket knowing it would bring her daughter's personal prediciment into public view?  They won't exactly phrase it that way but you know what I'm getting at.

You disagree?

They will not go down that road.  Doesn't mean the Internet won't, however.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »

The problem is with the large number of people who do feel like behavior like this is the fault of the mother and the permissive culture, and who will be "depressed," as Sam says, to see an exemplar of a good mother and a good culture producing the same outcome.

If I know those people well enough (at least from Texas), the answer is not that much.  Mainly because most of them have had it happen in their own personal lives (I have with a cousin, fwiw).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 02:03:32 PM »

You must be reading the pregnancy itself as "good news" for me. It's not. I've spelled this out already, though.

It's not good news, but I doubt it's much of bad news either.  I already told you where the problem lies, and I suspect any long term issues may be with non-socon moderate males, if any exist.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »

I just don't get it really. The only line of attack which might hurt a bit with the secular upper middle class in precincts McCain needs to make inroads in, is that Sarah favors abstinence only sex education. That does not sell at all in my zip code, and this highlights that. Of course it should not matter at all in how one votes for POTUS, but lots of things that should not matter to me, do to others, unfortunately. And so it goes.

I can see that.  Of course, I don't know exactly to who that is a game changer in the OC.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 04:19:11 PM »

I should mention that I thought Obama's response on this front was well nigh excellent.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »

I should mention that I thought Obama's response on this front was well nigh excellent.

Yep, unlike his filth supporters.

Every once in a while I try to obey the rule - "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing."  Difficult sometimes.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »

And who says the "culture wars" are dead and dying?  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »

Well Sam, looks like you're wrong about the MSM not touching this.  Wolf couldn't get enough of it on CNN today - kept going back to it.

I'm surprised.  I thought it would have been MSNBC.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »

And who says the "culture wars" are dead and dying?  Smiley

Ugh they should be. Especially on something like sex-ed when it is stunningly clear it leads to less pregnancies. Of course the beef social cons have with it is that it seems to condone promiscuity. But see personally I would just like less abortions and ruined lives. I guess you can't change religious people's mind though.

I agree with you.  But a lot of people don't.  Henceforth this.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »

Well Sam, looks like you're wrong about the MSM not touching this.  Wolf couldn't get enough of it on CNN today - kept going back to it.

I'm surprised.  I thought it would have been MSNBC.

It will be an sbane abstinence only education is nutter hit 24/7 until the issue dies. The opposition isn't stupid.

That would make sense.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »

Hopefully it will reach my 600-post "bitter and clinging" thread of this April... Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies