is it unconstitutional to prohibit citizens to have nuclear weapons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:26:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  is it unconstitutional to prohibit citizens to have nuclear weapons?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: is it unconstitutional to prohibit citizens to have nuclear weapons?  (Read 13252 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2005, 08:50:23 PM »

So what happens if a state Constitution does not entitle that government to prohibit such weaponry?
Then the state constitution should be amended.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2005, 08:59:10 PM »

I disagree since nukes are military equipment, hardware.

Careful with this line of reasoning - pistols and rifles are also military hardware. The military has quite a number of them infact.

Fine, but the differences between nukes and pistols / rifles is off the scale. Plus, a pistol / rifle is kept for protection against an attacker, most argue: protect a house or a person. A nuke doesn't achieve that.

I know a nuke can do a hell of a lot more damage than a pistol, and one can't be used in self-defense - I'm not stupid afterall, no need to state the obvious. All I said was that the 'military equipment' argument isn't a good line of reasoning because it applies to other things.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd say it's technically unconstitutional - this is mainly because there weren't nukes, or even a concept of nukes, when it was written. But regardless there is such a large number that thinks a ban on nukes is a good idea that that really doesn't matter. It's defacto constitutional simply because 99% of people would want nukes illegal, but still not technically constitutional because the constitution doesn't give Congress the power to make the ban.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2005, 09:08:49 PM »

I disagree since nukes are military equipment, hardware.

Careful with this line of reasoning - pistols and rifles are also military hardware. The military has quite a number of them infact.

Fine, but the differences between nukes and pistols / rifles is off the scale. Plus, a pistol / rifle is kept for protection against an attacker, most argue: protect a house or a person. A nuke doesn't achieve that.

I know a nuke can do a hell of a lot more damage than a pistol, and one can't be used in self-defense - I'm not stupid afterall, no need to state the obvious. All I said was that the 'military equipment' argument isn't a good line of reasoning because it applies to other things.

I'd say it's technically unconstitutional - this is mainly because there weren't nukes, or even a concept of nukes, when it was written. But regardless there is such a large number that thinks a ban on nukes is a good idea that that really doesn't matter. It's defacto constitutional simply because 99% of people would want nukes illegal, but still not technically constitutional because the constitution doesn't give Congress the power to make the ban.

Well that at least makes sense. Okay. But technically I feel it does give the federal government the power beyond the defacto bit to ban nukes under the powers granted to Congress. The regulation of land and naval forces stuff is enough for me. Because a nuke is not going to be used by a person to protect his / her home (like we said), so for me it's more clear cut.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2005, 10:34:56 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2005, 10:36:57 AM by opebo »

LOL - man, you are either kidding or you are sniffing some bad glue. And I don't mean to offend you. I'm not trying to be insulting. But can you even imagine the security threat? Can you even IMAGINE it? I don't think so.
The Constitution is not to be interpreted according to alleged security threats, vague fears, or perceived forebodings of doom.

Yes it is.  Isn't there something in there about 'providing for the common defense'?

Yeah the one I mentioned above about the common defense.  I'm sure there are other parts that would authorize it but that one is sufficient.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2005, 12:49:53 PM »

The "common defense" clause is an authorisation to spend money for the common defense, it does not allow for regulation in the interests of the common defense. This does not mean that Congress cannot regulate the entities it creates for the common defense however, as this is authorised under other clauses.
The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2005, 05:26:01 PM »

It is unconstitutional for the government to prohibit arms of any kind.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2005, 09:20:34 PM »

Can we get out of psycho insane hypothetical theory land and say people shouldn't be allowed to possess nuclear weapons. 

And it is constitutional to ban people from having nukes because doing so (legalizing such a thing) severely jeopordizes one's constitutional right to NOT BE BLOWN INTO OBLIVION!!!!!!!!!!
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2005, 09:26:37 PM »

And it is constitutional to ban people from having nukes because doing so (legalizing such a thing) severely jeopordizes one's constitutional right to NOT BE BLOWN INTO OBLIVION!!!!!!!!!!
There is no such constitutional right. (I'm being serious! Smiley )
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies