Veganism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:11:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Veganism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Veganism  (Read 7702 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: October 14, 2005, 06:28:15 PM »
« edited: October 14, 2005, 06:37:24 PM by angus »

Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Catholics on the last Friday before Easter, and folks who think they're too good to shop at Walmart.  Yeah, I'm talking to you.

Anyway, I like it all.  It's all pink on the inside.  And it's all tasty.

I'd say that the ones who eat what they eat, and don't eat what they don't eat, are just fine by me.  Like Emsworth said, folks who won't eat good stuff are just harming themselves.  Unfortunately, many people in the groups who have hangups about eating certain foods are big on judging me.

If Osama was here, I'd offer him a big slab of bacon.  Know what I mean?

And don't get me started on Vegetarians and Vegans.  Judgemental bastards!  I know several.

To be fair, strict carnivores are just as bad.  Remember Sean Reilly of Reillyburger fame?  That judgemental bastard gave me hell every time he saw me eating a tomato or banana. 

well, I had some whitefish, eggplant, chicken, pork, carrots, green onions, vidalia onions, ginger, tofu, serano, jalapeno, tomato, rice, vegetable oil, sesame oil, and bellpepper tonight.  If there'd been oysters I woulda had that too.  My wife and I put a great deal of effort into preparing the dinner every night, and if those bastards want to complain about what we feed them, they can eat their mac'n'cheese at home and deprive their children of protein.  Oh, man, I'm not going to get into that argument with him again.  I don't make him feed his daughter cows, I'll be goddamned if he's going to lecture me about feeding my son cows.  Well anyway, I have a hard time with this, as they really can be judgemental.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 09:43:32 PM »

from accounts I've read by police and firefighters, I gather that the aroma of burning humans is similar to that of bacon cooking.  Have read less about the taste of humans, though.  I will say that every vegetarian animal I've eaten was delicious, but the few carnivorous mammals I've sampled are nasty.  Given that, I'd suggest that if you're ever in a situation where you might have to resort to eating humans to survive, like in that movie "Alive", you should find out who the vegetarians are before people start to die off.  Eat them first, as they're likely to have a less gamey flavor.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 10:24:55 PM »

Hmm, I'm not too thrilled that I might be equal to an insect or a cow.

Seriously, though, how and where do you draw the line? If you believe that a cow has the same rights as a human, then why not an insect?

you shouldn't be thrilled.  nor should you be afraid, angry, or grossed-out.  Saying cows and people have the same rights really isn't a problem, and its logical conclusion certainly isn't vegetarianism.  cows and insects have the same rights as you do.  If the gods put a machete in a field, they would say, "Okay whichever one of you grasps the knife first, and kills the other first, can eat the other."  I think, to some extent, you can argue that insects, cows, and humans do have the same fundamental rights.  At least, they all have the right to try to eat one another, if desired.  And, in fact, if you die in a field, and no one buries you, insects will eat you.  Moreover, even when they do bury you, as inevitably, someone will bury your cold, dead, lifeless body, the vermin will eat you anyway.  But cows probably won't.  And it'll be their right not to. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:43:58 PM »

Err, I'm not too good to shop at Wal-mart, but everything I get from there breaks in the first week or two, so I stopped going Tongue

What's this?  Stuff from walmart falls breaks after a week or two?  Are you buying an ottoman at walmart?  I should hope not!  You should buy an ottoman at a furniture store.  Are you buying your opaline gourami there?  Does it surprise you that this specimen contaminates your aquarium and gives every specimen you care for the bacterium Ichthyophtherius multifilius so that they all die slowly with white spots?  Of course you shouldn't buy live pets at walmart;  they're not cared for very well at Walmart.  My ideal walmart would either stop stocking tropical fish, or hire professionals to care for them properly (the former is preferable).  You should buy them from a respectable outlet where they have been properly cared for.  But you can buy fish food there.  Wardley tropical flakes are Wardley tropical flakes, and it doesn't matter to your fish whether you got the flakes for a $1.87 at walmart or for $4.50 at the pet store.

I buy lettuce at walmart, because iceberg lettuce tastes like iceberg lettuce; boston lettuce tastes like boston lettuce, and romaine lettuce tastes like romaine lettuce whether I pay 79 cents a head or a buck and a half a head.  Do I buy soy sauce at Walmart?  of course not since all they stock is Kikoman, which is nasty, and other even nastier brands.  I go to the Asian store where I can buy Pearl River Bridge Superior Soy Sauce, which is tasty.  Do I buy whitefish at Walmart?  Damn straight, because I'm not that picky about whitefish, and can get 5 pounds at my local walmart for 7 dollars.  Do I buy Tou Fu at walmart?  No.  Because all they stock is Nasoya and Azumaya japanese Tou Fu.  I like Wu Chong brand Tou Fu.  (For the most part, chinese stuff is cheaply made and inferior to stuff made in OECD countries like Japan and the USA.  But, oddly, Tou Fu is one of the things the chinese do right; and the american and japanese brands of Tou Fu give me gas.)  Others, however, may be very picky about their whitefish and not so picky about their Tou Fu, so they may buy the latter at Walmart and the former elsewhere.  Fine.  Do I buy shower curtains at walmart?  Hell no.  Their cheapest shower curtain is $1.53, and I can get a one-dollar shower curtain at the Dollar Tree.  For something like a shower curtain, which you will replace every 3 months if you're a bit of a fungiphobe, you may as well buy the cheapest one you can find, which isn't at Walmart.

You think walmart stuff is crappy?  No one twists your arm to buy that Britney Spears CD.  You chose that crappy music.  It would have been just as easy for you to reach over and select the Vivaldi.  But you bought the crappy Spears CD because you chose to, not because Walmart doesn't stock any decent music.  You think walmart stuff falls apart?  No one twists your arm and says get the off-brand condoms instead of the Trojans.  Walmart stocks several respectable brands, as well as the really cheap ones that you should just go down to the free clinic and get if you don't care whether they break.  I'm just saying that if you choose to use respectable condoms like Trojans or Durex Ultra-Shiek, why not pay 5 dollars instead of 8 dollars?  And I have a hard time believing the Britney Spears CD from Walmart is any more shoddily made than the Britney Spears CD from Rasputin music.  It sounds just as bad whether you paid ten dollars for it or nineteen dollars for it.  And anyway, if your Britney Spears CD spontaneously falls apart, the gods are probably doing you a favor.

Fisher Price Sing-a-Long is Fisher-Price Sing-a-Long whether you got it for 6 dollars at Walmart or for seventeen dollars at Toys 'R' Us.  And Athenos hummus is Athenos hummus whether you paid $3.84 for it at walmart or paid $5 for it at Safeway.  Of course, Walmart also has Tribe hummus.  But maybe you're really picky about your hummus, and don't want either Athenos or Tribe.  Well, so you buy your hummus at the Middle East Store on 23rd avenue.  Fine.  But that doesn't preclude your purchase of Irish Spring deoderant soap at walmart for $3.97 per 8-pack instead of for 6 dollars at the Middle East Store.  After all, Irish Spring is Irish Spring, whether you bought it from Walmart, The Middle East Store, or at the Westin Inn Bermuda Resort giftshop&convenience, where it costs $11.50.  A bottle of Rosemount Merlot is a bottle of Rosemount Merlot, whether it came from Walmart for 6 dollars or from a specialty shop for 9 dollars.

I'm quite sure a van heusen shirt from walmart would not break any faster than a van heusen shirt from Macy's.  But walmart doesn't stock van heusen shirts.  Sure, if you're buying clothing fashions from Walmart you probably have poor taste.  But that's only a matter of your poor taste, and doesn't reflect poorly on walmart.  You should buy things like clothing, furniture, and linens elsewhere.  And by elsewhere I don't mean Target or Kmart.  I can tell you that the items I purchase at Walmart are the same brand items I can buy elsewhere, but choose not to because I would rather save some of that money for other things.  What I do not buy at Walmart is an Ottoman, or an opaline gourami, or a bicycle, or a queen-size mattress.  Those are durable goods and are worth spending a little extra on.  If you're buying your "durable" goods at Walmart and your CDs, condoms, wine, soap, and ground pork elsewhere, then you pretty much have selected the worst of all possible worlds and I respectfully label you a dumbass.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:53:23 PM »

Thanks.

sorry cheesewhiz, that might have been considered rude in some circles.  no, don't work at walmart.  big fan of the walmart shopping experience though, and formerly owned a hefty chunk of WMT stock.  Sold it though for a tidy, but not large, profit recently.  I'm not sure what you're buying at walmart, but nothing I buy there falls apart before I can eat it or drink it or wrap it around my son's ass or feed it to my fishes or wash my body with it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies