Should John Muhammad be executed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:05:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should John Muhammad be executed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: The DC Sniper
Yep

No

Burn in hell prick

He can be rehabilitated

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Should John Muhammad be executed?  (Read 13802 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 10:20:20 AM »

Apples and oranges.  Telling somebody that you're praying for them at least lets them know that you care about them and that you hope for the best.  Even though they're essentially just powerless words, it still helps them feel better psychologically.

No Joe, you were making a poke at religion since I put "burn in hell" as an option....which is fine, but it's hardly apples and oranges when I call you on it.

God forbid anyone makes pokes at religion. That might be individualistic, and we can't have that.

We can have it, but I'm not sure this is the thread for it.......in fact I enjoy reading the opposing viewpoints on the proper board, Einzige.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »

I think we should only execute retarded people.  It seems more humane than killing philosophers, poets, and intellectuals.  Like what would you feel worse doing, killing a parrot that could talk in English or killing a parrot that could only squawk annoyingly, I know which one I would choose.

ROTFL!
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »

Yes, firing squad the bastard.
Stampever
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 11:20:27 AM »

Or better yet, if you want to take a "religious" point of view (sorry Joe), then an eye-for-an-eye is called for.  Have him walk out into one of those firing ranges that are designed to look like a downtown street, and have someone hide in a car and pick him off from 100 or more yards with a high-powered rifle.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »

Yes.  Burn in hell prick.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »

Or better yet, if you want to take a "religious" point of view (sorry Joe), then an eye-for-an-eye is called for.  Have him walk out into one of those firing ranges that are designed to look like a downtown street, and have someone hide in a car and pick him off from 100 or more yards with a high-powered rifle.

Oh Stampever, you're brilliant!!!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »

A radio show was talking about a different killer but they said that the convicted murder (who shot someone) should walk out in the field and then one day someone shoots them. Don't do it right away. Wait a year or 5 years or something just so the guy is scared that it's coming.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 01:55:06 PM »

or we could spin him around really fast so he doesn't know which way Mecca is and then just let him go since that's punishment enough
Stampever
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »

or we could spin him around really fast so he doesn't know which way Mecca is and then just let him go since that's punishment enough

LOL!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2009, 03:00:11 PM by Joe Republic »

Apples and oranges.  Telling somebody that you're praying for them at least lets them know that you care about them and that you hope for the best.  Even though they're essentially just powerless words, it still helps them feel better psychologically.

No Joe, you were making a poke at religion since I put "burn in hell" as an option....which is fine, but it's hardly apples and oranges when I call you on it.

I note that you didn't really respond to any of my points, then.  Plus, I don't consider myself to me making fun of religion; I'm making a serious point as somebody who is frankly pissed off that much of the popular support for the death penalty is grounded on a belief that it is somehow only the beginning of somebody's punishment.  They're essentially supporting a murderer of ten people to be let off the hook after only seven years in jail.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »

It's not necessary to rely on any theory of the afterlife. Most people, if forced to pick, would prefer imprisonment even to mere extinction.
Stampever
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »

I note that you didn't really respond to any of my points, then.  Plus, I don't consider myself to me making fun of religion; I'm making a serious point as somebody who is frankly pissed off that much of the popular support for the death penalty is grounded on a belief that it is somehow only the beginning of somebody's punishment.  They're essentially supporting a murderer of ten people to be let off the hook after only seven years in jail.

While I accept your point about it being the start of someone's punishment, I don't think the poll question was actually a religious option as much of a "take that, you bastard" comment.  But that's just my view on it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

Thanks for pointing out your points, Joe, because I seriously couldn't make out the point....but ok, I'll address it..........I don't think he's getting off the hook at all.......k?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »

I love it. The very same hypocrites and charlatans in this thread who pose and preen as anti-government anti-populists nevertheless support turning over the very affairs of life and death to a panel of twelve (uneducated, unprofessional) jurors, selected by the State to administer a conviction based upon popular passion.

Scum.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »

While I accept your point about it being the start of someone's punishment, I don't think the poll question was actually a religious option as much of a "take that, you bastard" comment.  But that's just my view on it.

Oh, I certainly have no problem with the metaphorical sentiment.  I know that in a lot of cases, telling someone to "go to hell" is not intended literally, just like calling somebody a "bastard" or a "motherfu[i[/i]cker" is not meant to imply that they were actually born out of wedlock or like to copulate with their own mother.  Smiley

My gripe is merely with those whose religious beliefs govern their support for the death penalty, at the detriment of others who want to see murderers actually punished sufficiently.  As I've indicated, I consider execution to be tantamount to letting them off the hook.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »

Thanks for pointing out your points, Joe, because I seriously couldn't make out the point....but ok, I'll address it..........I don't think he's getting off the hook at all.......k?

There's really no need for the sarcasm, but thank you anyway for once again falling onto the side of those whose views are governed by their own irrationality.  I truly enjoy discussing these issues.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2009, 03:47:44 PM by Grumpy Gramps »

There's really no need for the sarcasm, but thank you anyway for once again falling onto the side of those whose views are governed by their own irrationality.  I truly enjoy discussing these issues.

I wasn't being sarcastic and I'm not looking for an argument per se.......the issue of "what happens next" is not supported by facts....so we're all just guessing.   As to him only being in jail for 7 years, have no fear, the world will have one less monster in it after tonight.....whether that's enough is for each of us to decide and disagreements on this will go on til the end of time.  If you wish to label me irrational, ok by me.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »

There's really no need for the sarcasm, but thank you anyway for once again falling onto the side of those whose views are governed by their own irrationality.  I truly enjoy discussing these issues.

I wasn't being sarcastic and I'm not looking for an argument per se.......the issue of "what happens next" is not supported by facts....so we're all just guessing.   As to him only being in jail for 7 years, have no fear, the world will have one less monster in it after tonight.....whether that's enough is for each of us to decide and disagreements on this will go on til the end of time.  If you wish to label me irrational, ok by me.

Every time you post, I like you a little less.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »

I love it. The very same hypocrites and charlatans in this thread who pose and preen as anti-government anti-populists nevertheless support turning over the very affairs of life and death to a panel of twelve (uneducated, unprofessional) jurors, selected by the State to administer a conviction based upon popular passion.

Scum.

You're right, we should just set him free.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »

I wasn't being sarcastic and I'm not looking for an argument per se.......the issue of "what happens next" is not supported by facts....so we're all just guessing.   As to him only being in jail for 7 years, have no fear, the world will have one less monster in it after tonight.....whether that's enough is for each of us to decide and disagreements on this will go on til the end of time.  If you wish to label me irrational, ok by me.

Fair enough.  Indeed, I can certainly see arguments in favor of the death penalty that aren't grounded in religious belief; e.g. the cost to the state of executing them is far less than keeping them imprisoned for years on end.  But personally I think it's a necessary expense, as keeping them miserable for many years is a justified punishment for murder than ending their misery after only a few short years.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2009, 03:55:54 PM »

Scum.

If it's the State funding his imprisonment? Yes. If it's a private prison? Then no, keep him locked up there.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »

No although he obviously deserves it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »

Scum.

If it's the State funding his imprisonment? Yes. If it's a private prison? Then no, keep him locked up there.

So the state should not pay for prisons, but it's okay if it takes over healthcare? Okay.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »

Scum.

So the state should not pay for prisons, but it's okay if it takes over healthcare? Okay.

No, it isn't. But I'm inclined to show some support for UHC just to punish conservatives for the past eight years.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2009, 04:24:39 PM »

My gripe is merely with those whose religious beliefs govern their support for the death penalty, at the detriment of others who want to see murderers actually punished sufficiently.  As I've indicated, I consider execution to be tantamount to letting them off the hook.

As I suggested earlier, that's an odd way of viewing it: "Most people, if forced to pick, would prefer imprisonment even to mere extinction."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies