2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 34
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread  (Read 78973 times)
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »

Radio and Television Ad: Issues (various)
September 8-14, 2007

I'm Evan Bayh and I approve this message

Sen. Evan: Hello, I'm Senator Evan Bayh from Indiana. You've probably seen me on the Senate floor, debating or fighting for you. Now, even if this can be either politically successful or politically damaging this is my stance on these issues. .

Different versions (narrator speaking)
(Version 1)
On ABORTION, Sen. Bayh holds a 50% rating from NARAL and a 25% rating from National Right to Life Committee.
On BUDGET and ECONOMY, Sen. Bayh wants: to balance debt reduction, tax relief, & policy investment
On CIVIL RIGHTS, Sen Bayh holds a 100% rating from National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, 89% rating from National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and a 60% rating from American Civil Liberties Union. He wants to continue affirmative action without quotas and to shift from group preferences to economic empowerment of all.

(Version 2)
On CORPORATION, Sen. Bayh was given a 43% rating by the U.S Chamber of Commerce
On CRIME, Sen. Bayh strongly supports broadening the use of death penalty and constructing more prisons to have more truth in sentencing. He also wants more funding and stricter sentencing for hate crimes. He holds a 63% rating from Citizens United for Rehabilitation of Errants.
On DRUGS, He voted NO on increasing penalties for drug offenses.

(Version 3)
On EDUCATION, Sen. Bayh opposes school vouchers and voted YES on declaring memorial prayers and religious symbols OK at schools. He holds a 91% rating from the National Education Association.
On ENERGY and OIL, Sen. Bayh voted: YES on protecting middle-income taxpayers from a national energy tax,YES on tax incentives for energy production and conservation and he also supports tradable emissions permits for greenhouse gases and holds a 100% record from Campaign for America's Future
On ENVIRONMENT, Sen. Bayh wants to strengthen prohibitions against animal fighting and holds a 77% rating from the League of Conservation Voters

(Version 4)
On FAMILIES and CHILDREN, Sen. Bayh believes that government cannot substitute for families. He also wants to disallow renting violent-rated video games to children and is now holding a 33% rating from the Christian Coalition
On FOREIGN POLICY, Sen. Bayh voted: YES on enlarging NATO to include Eastern Europe. He believes on progressive internationalism.
On FREE TRADE, Sen. Bayh wants to build a rule-based global trading system, have a free & fair trade in order to have economic growth and holds a 33% rating from CATO

(Version 5)
On GOVERNMENT REFORM, Sen. Bayh voted:NO on requiring photo ID to vote in federal elections, YES on establishing the Senate Office of Public Integrity, NO on require photo ID (not just signature) for voter registration and YES on banning campaign donations from unions & corporations.
On GUN CONTROL, Sen. Bayh voted: NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers and NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations. He also wants to prevent unauthorized firearm use with "smart gun" technology.
On HEALTH CARE, Sen. Bayh holds a 75% rating from American Public Health Association

(Version 6)
On HOMELAND SECURITY, Sen. Bayh voted:YES on implementing the 9/11 Commission report, YES on limiting soldiers' deployment to 12 months and YES on military pay raise of 4.8%. He currently holds a 30% rating from SANE
On IMMIGRATION, Sen. Bayh voted: NO on comprehensive immigration reform, NO on declaring English as the official language of the US government, YES on building a fence along the Mexican border, YES on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security and currently holds a 16% rating from US Border Control
On JOBS, Sen. Bayh voted: YES on increasing minimum wage to $7.25 and he wants to protect overtime pay protections and holds an 85% rating from AFL-CIO

(Version 7)
On PRINCIPLES AND VALUES, Sen. Bayh currently voted with Democratic Party 86.8% of 319 votes and was rated 100% by the Americans United for Separation of Church and State, indicating support of church-state separation.
On SOCIAL SECURITY, Sen. Bayh voted:NO on establishing reserve funds & pre-funding for Social Security, NO on using the Social Security Surplus to fund tax reductions, NO on Social Security Lockbox & limiting national debt and currently holds a 90% rating from Alliance for Retired Americans.
On TAX REFORM, Sen. Bayh voted: NO on repealing the Alternative Minimum Tax, NO on $350 billion in tax breaks over 11 years,NO on across-the-board spending cut and holds an 26% rating from National Taxpayers Union and 80% from Citizens for Tax Justice

(Version 8 )
On TECHNOLOGY, Sen. Bayh wants to fund nanotechnology research & development and to facilitate nationwide 2-1-1 phone line for human services.
On WAR and PEACE, Sen. Bayh voted: YES on redeploying US troops out of Iraq by March 2008 and YES on requiring on-budget funding for Iraq, not emergency funding.
On WELFARE, Sen. Bayh supports welfare-to-work & block grants, tax credits to promote home ownership in distressed areas and to fully fund AmeriCorps.

(Back to Sen. Bayh)

EB:It is important to know your candidate, in order for you to make wise decisions when you go to the polls. And I hope that you KNOW YOUR RIGHT CANDIDATE. CHOOSE THE RIGHT CANDIDATE WHO WILL FIGHT FOR YOU AND WILL BRING CHANGE HERE ON AMERICA.

Narrator: Change, vote for Evan Bayh, a leader fighting for change.

P.S: Information from On the Issues.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2014, 07:17:53 AM by RGN08 »

Bayh Endorsements (September 11, 2007)

Former New York Governor Mario Cuomo: Many people had criticized me for not endorsing the current Senator from New York, Hillary Clinton. People, I’m endorsing Sen. Evan Bayh for the Democratic Nomination. He has the experience to lead this nation. He served his own state for 21 years, devoted to make Indiana greater than ever. Sen. Clinton might be a good choice but I prefer Sen. Bayh because of his leadership, integrity and experience to be the your leader.

Former Massachusetts Governor Michael DukakisSad I remembered when I was the Governor of Massachusetts, I was praised by both Democrat and Republican governors and named me as the most effective governor on the nation . Now, I believe that title now belongs to Sen. Evan Bayh. Not only the most effective governor but also the most effective senator. He fights for all Americans. And I know that Sen. Bayh can be an effective president than me.

Former Maine Governor Angus King:  When you compare me to Sen. Bayh on our record, you can see that he is a greater governor and a senator than me. 21 years, that’s experience. I believe he’s ready to lead us.

Alliance for Retired Americans: We know that Sen. Bayh will continue to fight for us, the elders when he becomes president. We know that he will protect Social Security and to preserve Medicare and Medicaid. He told us that he will increase the benefits of the seniors. He is our champion!

Citizens for Tax JusticeSad Basing on his record, we believe that Sen. Bayh continues to support our mission: To give ordinary people a greater voice in the development of tax laws. Against the armies of special interest lobbyists for corporations and the wealthy.  He will fight for progressive taxation.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2014, 07:07:50 PM »

Debate Answers

You must be logged in to read this quote.
If you take the tax cut that Bush and Guliani gave to Americans in the top 1 percent of America-just that tax cut that went to the top 1 percent of America would have saved Social Security until the year 2075. Bush decided to give it to the wealthiest Americans in a tax cut. I support Bush's tax cut for the middle class, not that part of it that goes to people earning more than $200,000 a year. When I roll it back and we invest in the things that I have talked about to move our economy, we're going to grow sufficiently, it would begin to cut the deficit in half, and we get back to where we were at the end of the 1990s when we balanced the budget and paid down the debt of this country.

My priority is tax reform and ending the border crisis.

We need a guest-worker program. We need is to crack down on illegal hiring. And thirdly, we need an earned-legalization program for people who have been here for a long time, stayed out of trouble, got a job, paid their taxes, and their kids are American. We got to start moving them toward full citizenship, out of the shadows.

I will support the eventual Democratic nominee, no matter who it is.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:58 PM »

Kerry September 8-14, 2003

September 8
Barnstorm in NJ with Edward Kennedy

September 9
Barnstorm in CT with Edward Kennedy

September 10
Debate Prep in NH
Debate

September 11
9/11 Ceremony in New York, NY
Rest

September 12
Barnstorm in RI with Edward Kennedy

September 13
Barnstorm in VT with Edward Kennedy

September 14
Barnstorm in ME with Edward Kennedy

I am a hunter. I'm a gun owner. I'm also a former law enforcement officer. I ran one of the largest district attorney's offices in America. I know something about prosecuting. Most of the law enforcement agencies wanted that assault weapons ban. They don't want to go into a drug bust and be facing an AK-47. Because of the president's decisions , law enforcement officers will walk into a place that will be more dangerous. Terrorists can now come to America, go to a gun show and, without a background check, buy an assault weapon. We need to ban assault weapons.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:34 PM »

September 8-14:
Rally's and door to door campaigning with Paul Hodes, Jeanne Shaheen, and John Lynch in Strafford, Rockingham, and Hillsborough counties, concentrating heavily on rural areas.

(sorry for lazy post)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »

so Landrieu ain't debating?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:04 AM »

I'm way too interested in those damn primaries, give me about ten minutes.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2014, 01:50:46 AM »

I am a true Southern gal who knows how Washington works and I have worked with Democrats and Republicans in the Senate, while staying true to my Democratic ideals. I have worked to help victims of major disasters, as we saw with Katrina, I have put my constituents needs before my own, and I will do the same as President.

My top priority as President would be to invest in our public schools, upgrade our schools to the latest technology, and to implement these changes in a way that a student in New York City or a student in Alabama could receive the same chance in the working world without nationalizing our education system.

Absolutely, I have served in the Senate since 1998, I was the Louisiana State Treasurer and I know how to balance a budget and work with constituents and lawmakers to appropriate the right amount to each program.

I think the appropriate course of action is to provide these people with a way to citizenship, such as serving in the military for two years. There are many ways our immigrants can contribute to our nation, and we must give them a chance to become citizens before immediately pushing them away.

Whoever wins the nomination, I will support them in the general election.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2014, 06:36:41 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2014, 07:15:36 AM by RGN08 »

Surrogates Schedule
September 8 -7, 2007

Rep. Rahm Emanuel
Barnstorming at Illinois (Chicago, Aurora, Rockford, Joliet,Naperville, Springfield)

Fmr. Senator Gary Hart
Barnstorming in Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, Aurora, Fort Collins, Lakewood, Thornton)

Fmr. Vice President Walter Mondale
Barnstorming in Minnesota (Minneapolis, Saint Paul, Rochester, Bloomington, Dultuth)

Fmr. NY Governor Mario Cuomo
September 8-10 – Barnstorming in New York (Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, Syracuse, Albany)
September 11 (AM)- Commemorating the 6th anniversary of 9/11 attacks in New York City and fly to Iowa
September 11 (PM)- Attend the Fundraising Dinner of Sen. Evan Bayh at West Des Moines, Iowa and fly back to New York
September 12 -14- Barnstorming in New York City

Fmr. MA Governor Michael Dukakis
September 8-10 – Barnstorming in Massachusetts (Worcester, Springfield, Lowell, Cambridge, New Bedford)
September 11 (AM)- Commemorating the 6th anniversary of 9/11 attacks in Boston and fly to Iowa
September 11 (PM)- Attend the Fundraising Dinner of Sen. Evan Bayh at West Des Moines, Iowa and fly back to Massachusetts
September 12 -14- Barnstorming in Boston

Fmr. ME Governor Angus King
September 8-10 – Barnstorming in Maine
September 11 (AM)- Commemorating the 6th anniversary of 9/11 attacks in Maine and fly to Iowa
September 11 (PM)- Attend the Fundraising Dinner of Sen. Evan Bayh at West Des Moines, Iowa and fly back to New Hampshire
September 12 -14- Barnstorming in New Hampshire (Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Derry, Dover)

All organizations that has endorsed the Senator cooperated with us to make their GOTV Rally through the internet.
Sen. Bayh’s Press Director Robert Gibbs
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »

Fmr. NH Governor Jeanne Shaheen
September 8-10 – Barnstorming in New Hampshire (Rochester, Salem, Merrimack, Hudson, Londonderry)
September 11 (AM)- Commemorating the 6th anniversary of 9/11 attacks in Manchester and fly to Iowa
September 11 (PM)- Attend the Fundraising Dinner of Sen. Evan Bayh at West Des Moines, Iowa and fly back to New Hampshire
September 12 -14- Barnstorming in New Hampshire (Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Derry, Dover)

Shaheen has endorsed Landrieu.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »

Tom Vilsack: Debate Answers:

Well, Brian, Tim, I’m pretty sure it’s easy for President Giuliani to say that it has from the way he sees it, but no, I do not believe the surge has worked. Our soldiers have fought bravely and I couldn’t be more proud of them, but under Bush a Giuliani our men have died on Iraq without a clear mission, without the tools they need it. I’m sure the current administration would like to say they solved Bush’s mistakes, but it’s the same people. What we should have done was to focus on nation building, focus on building a stronger Iraq, not flooding the country with extra firepower hoping that destroying the insurgency would finish the problem and repeating the gross mistakes of the Bush White House. As President, you can bet I will bring our troops backs right away.

There are any pressing issues that we need to solve rather quickly, but my first day as President will be focused towards Iraq and my energy plan. I want to take bold actions because, for once, we need bold actions to solve the problems left by two Republican administrations. That day I will make the first arrangements to bring our troops home and I would like to put in motion my ideas to reform the way we look at energy sources. Energy independence may not look as immediately urgent as Iraq or the economy, but it is the key to a better future for America, a future that we can easily reach if we take the right steps.

I believe history has clearly shown that when you have comprehensive immigration reform, when you have an immigration system that is working, the economy grows, jobs are created and working conditions improve. We need to increase guest worker programs and encourage legal immigration with costs shared by both local and federal governments, and we need to protect our borders in an adequate way without doing something as ludicrous as building a giant wall. America was built by people who came here from all over the world. From the beginning, immigrants have come to our state and helped it to prosper. As they became new Americans, and added to our economic wealth, their diversity also brought strength and cultural richness to our country.

Of course. I am a loyal Democrat, and I will gladly support and campaign for the nominee should I not win the nomination, just like many others have said. I believe that the idea of running in a primary and then going third party just because you lost is dishonest in more than one way, which is why I wasn’t pleased with Dennis Kucnich’s switch after the 2004 primary. The Democratic Party is not made for that kind of attitude, and I am confident all of us are going to get out there and prove it.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »

Fmr. NH Governor Jeanne Shaheen
September 8-10 – Barnstorming in New Hampshire (Rochester, Salem, Merrimack, Hudson, Londonderry)
September 11 (AM)- Commemorating the 6th anniversary of 9/11 attacks in Manchester and fly to Iowa

Shaheen has endorsed Landrieu.
Changed Shaheen to Angus King.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2014, 04:31:36 PM »

So now we're in the next round, right?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »

I believe NHI allowed for an extra day, which means the round hasn't ended yet (or at least I hope so, I forgot to post the schedule, xD)
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »

Yep, this round ends at midnight. I'll be getting the rest of my stuff in by then.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »

Tom Vilsack's Schedule:
September 8th to September 14th:

"I think that this primary will go into history as an extremely competitive one, and I am extremely pleased to see so many candidates running such great campaigns. We have worked very hard as well and our efforts start to show, we're surging in Iowa back into the lead and with the debate and, hopefully, my new energy plan, we will continue to surge and prove that this campaign can win the nomination, despite being an underdog. America needs change, and we as Democrats need the courage to lead change, change in health care, immigration, Iraq, energy, the economy and so forth. "

September 8th:
-Iowa, VII:
-Town Hall in Fairfield, IA.
-Town Hall in Norwalk, IA.
-Town Hall in Grinnell, IA.
-Town Hall in Grimes, IA.
-Rally in Ames, IA.

September 9th:
-Iowa, VIII:
-Town Hall in Le Mars, IA.
-Town Hall in Carroll, IA.
-Town Hall in Waverly, IA.
-Town Hall in Pella, IA.
-Rally in Waterloo, IA.

September 10th:
-Iowa, IX:
-Barnstorm and Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA.
-Barnstorm and Rally in Davenport, IA.
-Barnstorm and Rally in Dubuque, IA.
-Meeting with supporters and volunteers in Des Moines HQ.
-Speech on Des Moines, Iowa, unveiling the Vilsack Energy Plan.

September 11th:
-9/11 Ceremony, then rest.

September 12th:
-Iowa, X:
-Bus Tour in Keokuk, IA.
-Bus Tour in Storm Lake, IA.
-Bus Tour in Fort Madison, IA.
-Bus Tour in Spencer, IA.
-Bus Tour in Oskaloosa, IA.

September 13th:
-Iowa, XI:
-Bus Tour in Boone, IA.
-Bus Tour in North Liberty, IA.
-Bus Tour in Indianola, IA.
-Bus Tour in Newton, IA.
-Bus Tour in Altoona, IA.

September 8th:
-Michigan, I:
-Fundraiser in Detroit, MI.
-Rally in Detroit, MI.
-Interview with local media.
-Rally in Lansing, MI.
-Rally in Sterling Heights, MI.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Campaign Manager Craig Varoga talks to the Media:

"You look at Tom's character and the upbringing that he had. I mean he really has the values that the country needs in order to undertake a bold new direction over the next few years. So we're all really excited about his campaign, all of us, staffers, volunteers, endorsers, we are all working very hard for this effort. I mean, he knows and recognizes that he's an underdog, but Americans like underdogs and we think that when people continue to hear his message they're going to be very excited about him. We're surging in Iowa and we hope that his debate performance will be excellent, so I personally believe he's going to do very, very well.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »

I hate to interrupt but when are you guys doing 2012 or the next game?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »

When the time comes.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2014, 08:21:55 PM »

When the time comes.

Fair enough, thank you.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:25 PM »

Mark Sanford Campaign Schedule: September 8-14

September 8
With Bob Vander Plaats
-Town Hall in Boone, IA
-Town Hall in Keokuk, IA
-Town Hall in Decorah, IA
-Town Hall in Creston, IA
-Interviews with local media

REPORTER: You've extended an invitation to President Giuliani to debate you and his other opponents, but he has declined.

SANFORD: Yes, and I think it's pretty disappointing of him to do that. The President is doing a disservice for voters by not sticking his neck out and debating the rest of us in a civil manner. He can say, "Oh, the American people already know where I stand," but a debate would give viewers more of a window into how he thinks about the pressing issues we face. I'll keep pressing him about this in the months ahead, and hopefully he changes his mind soon enough. I'll actually reach across the aisle and debate Governor Dean in a few days, so keep an eye on that too. It should be fun for all of us. *laughs*

September 9
With Bob Vander Plaats
-Town Hall in Clear Lake, IA
-Town Hall in Atlantic, IA
-Town Hall in Anamosa, IA
-Town Hall in Cherokee, IA
-Town Hall in Vinton, IA

September 10
With Bob Vander Plaats
-Meet and Greet in Tipton, IA
-Meet and Greet in Rock Valley, IA
-Meet and Greet in Onawa, IA
-Meet and Greet in Jesup, IA
-Meet and Greet in Fairfax, IA
-Meet and Greet in Missouri Valley, IA

September 11
-Attending 9/11 ceremonial event
-Strategy meeting with campaign advisors

September 12
With Joe Arpaio
-Bus Tour in Marion, IA
-Bus Tour in Dubuque, IA
-Bus Tour in West Des Moines, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Waterloo, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Cedar Rapids, IA

September 13
With Jim DeMint
-Town Hall in Cayce, SC
-Town Hall in Mauldin, SC
-Town Hall in Union, SC
-Town Hall in Gaffney, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in North Charleston, SC

I don't think we should blindly follow anybody, even if it's our President. People have to earn your respect and trust, and in many ways, President Giuliani has given Republicans reason to be concerned. Giving energy companies subsidies is not what I would call defending the free market--that's more like crony capitalism, where you pick winners and losers. I don't stand for that. The government should get out of the economy, not reach deeper into it. I'm a small-government fiscal conservative who's got the record to prove it, and I have a plan to bring economic prosperity to new heights. We can't get there without your help in this campaign, though.

September 14
With Jim DeMint
-Town Hall in Mullins, SC
-Town Hall in Moncks Corner, SC
-Bus Tour in Hilton Head Island, SC
-Bus Tour in Sumter, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Charleston, SC

Mark Sanford Endorsements

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: Let's face it, President Giuliani has become soft on immigration, one of our nation's most pressing matters. While millions of illegals are pouring in, the President seems to be interested in amensty more than border security. Mark Sanford is talking sense and would solve our border issue. Republicans, go with the man who will stand up for America!

Mr. Bob Vander Plaats: I'm proud to endorse Governor Sanford for the Republican nomination. The Republican Party stands for family values and the traditions that make this country great, but President Giuliani has failed to live up to many of those values that we hold so dear. I know that Governor Sanford is a good Christian man who will fight for our causes, and I encourage all Iowans to lend your support to him in January.

Former Rep. Joe Scarborough: Mark and I served together in Congress for six years, and we actually came in at the same time, too. I got to see firsthand his commitment to conservative values. A President Sanford would be a refreshing face to see in the White House, and Republicans should go for the candidate who's offering substance in what he says.

Americans for Prosperity: We are proud to endorse Mark Sanford for the Republican nomination for President. Sanford has been a principled and steady leader in both Congress and as South Carolina Governor, and no one can deny his conservative record. We will devote great resources to the Sanford campaign over the primary season to ensure that victory comes with getting the nomination.

TV/Radio Ad: Bringing Change

This campaign isn't about me, President Giuliani, or any of the candidates running. It's about you. While we've had successes in some aspects, we're far from being a perfect nation. Many out there are still concerned about keeping their jobs, or about their children's future. There's a long way to go, but I believe in the values that have made this country great from the beginning: freedom, liberty, and justice for all. That's what I'm running on, and I hope you join me in this campaign. I'm Mark Sanford, and I approve this message because it's time to bring leadership to the White House next year.

Surrogate Schedules

Jim DeMint: Rallies and Fundraisers in South Carolina
Steve Merill: Fundraisers in New Hampshire
Bob Vander Plaats: Rallies and Fundraisers in Iowa
Joe Arpaio: Rallies and Fundraisers in Iowa
Joe Scarborough: Fundraisers in New Hampshire and Florida

FreedomWorks: Ad buys in early primary states
Americans for Prosperity: Ad buys in early primary states
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:26 PM »

Howard Dean Ad - Take Our Country Back!
Airing in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina

"Hi I'm Howard Dean, and it's time we took this country back! The working men and women of America are constantly under attack from these right to work laws that Republicans have put into place, making it harder to earn a living wage to feed your family. As President, I will repeal Taft-Hartley, cut taxes for the middle class, and raise the minimum wage so that you have the right to work for more. I have the support of the SEIU, one of the largest unions in the country. With your help, we can knock of President Giuliani and elect a real leader for President. I approve this message, because our working men and women are the backbone of this country, and they deserve better. "
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2014, 06:56:54 AM »

Round 3: September 15-21, 2007

The debates are over and the Presidential candidates on both the Democratic and Republican side continue to make their case to voters, crisscrossing the nation, visiting all the early primary states. On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton remains the frontrunner, though some have declared her a fragile frontrunner. In most polls she either ties Blanche Lincoln, or leads her by a point or two. Clinton, the longtime favorite has the money and campaign infrastructure, but it still remains to be seen if it will translate into votes.

Clinton, was the favorite four years ago, before campaign missteps and former President Bill Clinton's health sidelined her campaign. She is the favorite this time around, but has yet to pull away with the nomination. Plus, with Senator Evan Bayh and Governor Howard Dean continuing to make their case in the early states of Iowa and New Hampshire it is easy to see that Clinton may face some tough competition.

Senator Blanche Lincoln, the 2004 Vice Presidential Nominee appears to be getting a second look. Coupled by a strong debate performance and lack of a clear frontrunner, Lincoln is emerging as a possible alternative to Hillary Clinton. Hailing from Arkansas, she puts much of the south in play, which may help the Democratic ticket in what is expected to be a messy general election.

Evan Bayh and Howard Dean are the two emerging challengers. Both young and competitive, they are attracting support, mainly from young people and are playing strong in the states of Iowa and New Hampshire; two states crucial to either their success or failure as candidates. Both have delivered strong debate performances and have raised considerable amounts of money, instantly putting them into the top tier of candidates.

John Kerry and Mary Landrieu have struggled throughout the primary to define themselves and their campaign message. With such large personalities like Clinton and Dean in the race, both seem to be getting lost in the shuffle. However, John Kerry may have reason to celebrate, his strong debate performance in New Hampshire, as well as his focus on stumping in the Granite State, has made him a candidate to watch. For Mary Landrieu, she has the task of separating herself from Clinton and Lincoln and finding her own voice. She did deliver a strong debate performance, receiving a great round of applause for her answer on funding public education. Landrieu could be a surprise candidate. States like Iowa and South Carolina will prove a real test for her candidacy.

The dark horse in this race by all estimations is Tom Vilsack. The former Iowa Governor is leading in his home state, boosted by the fact that he is running as a favorite son, but some pundits believe there maybe more to Vilsack and his campaign then simply a win in Iowa. He unveiled his energy plan, (the first candidate to do so) and it was well received. Along with the fact he is leading in Iowa, a blowout in the first caucus could set his campaign up on the road to victory. The test is whether or not he has regional appeal or not.

On the Republican side, President Rudy Giuliani continues to be successful at what some have called 'see no evil, hear no evil' strategy. He has refused to acknowledge his political opponents, namely chief rival Mark Sanford. Sanford is running far ahead of other challengers, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul and looks to be the most serious 'threat' to Giuliani. While the President still leads by double digits in both Iowa and New Hampshire, his lead in South Carolina has dropped down to only four points, though most pundits believe Sanford will need to either win Iowa or beat expectation.

"He has to catch lightning in a bottle if he wants to beat Giuliani, or I should say even come close. Now there is a history of primary challengers doing well against incumbents. Ronald Reagan in 1976, Ted Kennedy in 1980. I think Sanford has the potential to be as successful as either one. First he's a Governor, second he's locked up conservative support, and he's competitive. He's playing for Iowa, New Hampshire and beyond." -- Tom Rath, NH political operative.

In terms of the general election, most pundits say it's far too early to declare victory for any candidate, though Giuliani continues to lead his Democratic rivals, even with the presence of third party candidates. Currently, he sits on a 52 percent approval rating.

Iowa Caucuses Poll: Democrat (Vilsack +2)
Tom Vilsack: 17%
Blanche Lincoln: 15%
Hillary Clinton: 14%
Howard Dean: 14%
Evan Bayh: 14%
Mary Landrieu: 9%
John Kerry: 8%
Undecided: 9%

Iowa Caucus Poll: Republican (Giuliani +29)
Rudy Giuliani: 52%
Mark Sanford: 23%
Newt Gingrich: 11%
Ron Paul: 5%
Undecided: 9%

More polls up later.

This round will close on Sunday at 11:59 pm.

I'd like to gauge thoughts on after this round moving the game to late November/mid December? I'd have another debate as well.  
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »

OOC; If we are moving the game forward, I think somewhere near Halloween is more what I would like.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »

Give us a couple more rounds, but then, yes, go ahead and move it to Late November or something.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »

OOC: I'm fine with a time jump but would want to post something brief describing what went on during the interval.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies