Australia 2022 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:29:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia 2022 Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37
Author Topic: Australia 2022 Election  (Read 44515 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2022, 08:14:31 AM »

Labor are leading by 14 points in the polls over the LNP.

Not even a Hillary Clinton style choke will stop Albo from losing this election.

Labor has got it in the bag.

Women just don't like Scomo.

Link please?
Pulaski

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2022, 08:18:31 AM »

Not even a Hillary Clinton style choke will stop Albo from losing this election.

Why such a big swing, Meclazine?

Among women? The Liberals have had many, many PR disasters relating to their treatment of women both in and out of parliament for a number of years now; from sexual assault allegations to inappropriate relationships with staffers and everything in between. Morrison's handling of these issues has been woeful, culminating in a disastrous photo-op with 2021 Australian of the Year and advocate for victims of sexual assault Grace Tame. The guy is absolutely tone-deaf on these issues.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2022, 08:19:22 AM »

Link please?

He's probably not referring to this:

Albanese pays a price for bad week as voters swing back to government

Labor leader Anthony Albanese has paid the price for a damaging opening week in the election campaign after voters cut their support for the opposition from 38 to 34 per cent while swinging back to Scott Morrison as preferred prime minister.

Primary support for the Coalition rose from 34 to 35 per cent, and Morrison made gains on his personal approval and performance on key issues including economic management and national security.

The first major survey of the campaign revealed a reversal of fortune for the two leaders, with Morrison leading Albanese as preferred prime minister by 38 to 30 per cent after the Labor leader held the advantage two weeks ago with a lead of 37 to 36 per cent.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2022, 08:52:21 PM »

Link please?

I'm pretty sure it's this from Roy Morgan: https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8931-roy-morgan-poll-on-federal-voting-intention-early-april-2022-202204110842

The problem being that Roy Morgan is just not a particularly good pollster.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2022, 11:54:24 PM »

Link please?

He's probably not referring to this:

Albanese pays a price for bad week as voters swing back to government

Labor leader Anthony Albanese has paid the price for a damaging opening week in the election campaign after voters cut their support for the opposition from 38 to 34 per cent while swinging back to Scott Morrison as preferred prime minister.

Primary support for the Coalition rose from 34 to 35 per cent, and Morrison made gains on his personal approval and performance on key issues including economic management and national security.

The first major survey of the campaign revealed a reversal of fortune for the two leaders, with Morrison leading Albanese as preferred prime minister by 38 to 30 per cent after the Labor leader held the advantage two weeks ago with a lead of 37 to 36 per cent.

All this does is confirm my belief that Australians are dumb and easily influenced.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2022, 05:05:10 PM »

It's compulsory to vote if you are an Australian.

But it's not compulsory to enrol to vote.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-18/why-cant-australian-electoral-commission-just-enrol-everyone/100997082

A lot of first time voters did not enrol because they did not know the cut off date was yesterday.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2022, 07:06:05 PM »

Link please?

I'm pretty sure it's this from Roy Morgan: https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8931-roy-morgan-poll-on-federal-voting-intention-early-april-2022-202204110842

The problem being that Roy Morgan is just not a particularly good pollster.

Clearly, it was before Albanese went on the campaign trail and opened his mouth and started talking.

I still think Labor will win. Have to remember WA Labor in the last state election won 95% of the seats.

Liberals have two sitting members who sit in total isolation compared to the 30 odd Labor members.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2022, 10:30:46 PM »

I still think ScoMo will pull it out. He just needs to get out the ukulele some more and people will see that he's just like them. Albo has lost too much weight to be PM.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2022, 06:32:41 AM »

I still think ScoMo will pull it out. He just needs to get out the ukulele some more and people will see that he's just like them. Albo has lost too much weight to be PM.

Well that's profound.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2022, 09:43:55 AM »

Well that's profound.
You know it's true.

In all seriousness though, Labor is further ahead in the polls than they were last time, but I wouldn't take anything for granted if I were them.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2022, 06:03:22 PM »

Polling continues to show the ALP is favored in a 2PP count, but polling also continues to show that the key issues for voters in this election are the economy and the cost of living.  Traditionally, the Coalition leads on the economy and Labor leads on the cost of living.  But polling indicates that the Coalition and Labor are running about even on the cost of living, while the Coalition has a clear lead on the economy.

People would love to attribute a potential tightening in the race to the inherent stupidity of Australian voters or the bias of the Murdoch media, but consider also that perhaps people are only beginning to acquaint themselves with Anthony Albanese, and they simply do not like what they see.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2022, 06:18:01 PM »

Is there any party that considers the horrifying, totalitarian Australian lockdowns a grave mistake and actually promises no more lockdowns? This would be my issue 1, 2, 3 etc. in Australia.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2022, 07:30:16 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2022, 07:33:49 PM by Ebowed »

Is there any party that considers the horrifying, totalitarian Australian lockdowns a grave mistake and actually promises no more lockdowns? This would be my issue 1, 2, 3 etc. in Australia.

Not among serious parties (but there is the populist United Australia Party, which is polling 3-5%).  However, it's very interesting the degree to which covid does not feature in the campaign so far.  Morrison says he doesn't want more lockdowns, but by enabling the state governments with tons of emergency payments, he wears some of the responsibility for them.  Few doubt that Albanese would be worse on this issue and it is a massive relief to me, personally, that on the federal level nearly all of the restrictions are gone now which means that Albanese would have to re-instate them, which would be much more controversial than simply maintaining them.

The political atmosphere is such that both instating another lockdown, and criticising the past ones (making people feel as if their sacrifice was worthless, perhaps), are both political losers.  Morrison therefore is straddling the line between saying that there won't be more and claiming credit for the perceived "lives saved" by the past ones.  Albanese wants to prosecute the case that he would have done everything Morrison did but faster, better and harder; but he also doesn't want to say that he would bring back lockdowns.  So the best bet for both of them is to say very little about it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2022, 09:16:39 PM »

Polling continues to show the ALP is favored in a 2PP count, but polling also continues to show that the key issues for voters in this election are the economy and the cost of living.  Traditionally, the Coalition leads on the economy and Labor leads on the cost of living.  But polling indicates that the Coalition and Labor are running about even on the cost of living, while the Coalition has a clear lead on the economy.

People would love to attribute a potential tightening in the race to the inherent stupidity of Australian voters or the bias of the Murdoch media, but consider also that perhaps people are only beginning to acquaint themselves with Anthony Albanese, and they simply do not like what they see.

The fact that people think Morrison is good on either is a testament to how stupid Australians are. As for Murdoch? Well, Morrison has made multiple gaffes, but no one covered them at all. Indeed, Sky News attempted to create a cover for him.
Pulaski

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2022, 03:56:01 AM »

No, because a large majority of citizens agreed with them, complied with them, and got vaccinated as soon as possible. You know, like you would expect from a country that hasn't become deranged to the point of self-destruction.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2022, 04:01:29 AM »

No, because a large majority of citizens agreed with them, complied with them, and got vaccinated as soon as possible. You know, like you would expect from a country that hasn't become deranged to the point of self-destruction.

All this does is confirm my belief that Australians are dumb and easily influenced.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2022, 04:26:16 AM »

The thing is, there are a lot of minor rightwing parties in Australia and some of them are anti-lockdown. For instance, the Liberal Democrats

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jul/27/rightwing-australian-politicians-use-covid-lockdowns-to-promote-challenge-to-liberal-party

Additionally anti-vaxx parties contested state elections in QLD and WA, getting 1% or 2% of the vote
adma
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2022, 05:09:57 AM »

I hate when this forum "Americanizes"--you know, overstating the "totalitarianism" of lockdowns.

It'd be as if "dumb and easily influenced" referred to why Australians veered *away* from Pauline Hanson's One Nation, rather than *toward* the same...
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2022, 05:27:49 AM »

Yikes.

You know it's a bad night for Morrison when Andrew Bolt is calling the debate for Albo.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2022, 05:44:57 AM »

I mean pretty much everyone important outside of WA admit that it's time to move on....NSW and Vic are now saying "only isolate if you test positive" and masks have largely been scrapped.

In terms of being hard anti-lockdown, most of the minor right (especially the UAP and the LDP) seem to be pitching that way.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2022, 05:49:20 AM »

I mean pretty much everyone important outside of WA admit that it's time to move on....NSW and Vic are now saying "only isolate if you test positive" and masks have largely been scrapped.

In terms of being hard anti-lockdown, most of the minor right (especially the UAP and the LDP) seem to be pitching that way.

I don't even think the UAP is right wing. I think their position is more or less 'whatever Clive Palmer thinks will help him'

Let's not kid ourselves, Clive Palmer is the leader of that party, not Craig Kelly.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2022, 05:51:06 AM »

I don't even think the UAP is right wing. I think their position is more or less 'whatever Clive Palmer thinks will help him'

Let's not kid ourselves, Clive Palmer is the leader of that party, not Craig Kelly.
Weren't they like pro-refugee or something ?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2022, 05:52:35 AM »

Weren't they like pro-refugee or something ?

I can't work out what the hell their positions are. Like I said, I just boil it down to 'whatever Clive Palmer thinks will help him.'
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2022, 06:22:27 AM »

Yes. But they at least seem to be advertising themselves as anti-COVID restrictions. Of course they're more just a disaffected populist party with a cooker-style wing.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2022, 06:29:15 AM »

I hate when this forum "Americanizes"--you know, overstating the "totalitarianism" of lockdowns.
Well funnily enough, two of our Aussie posters, Ebowed and tik were born in America.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies