HB 24-20: Appalachian Region Development Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 04:01:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 24-20: Appalachian Region Development Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 24-20: Appalachian Region Development Act (Debating)  (Read 3205 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« on: July 05, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »

Is there a reason we should invest in this area as opposed to our cities and regions where people aren't leaving and actually want to live in? My instinct here is that this is political theatre that ultimately does very little for an area that will continue to depopulate.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »

Is there a reason we should invest in this area as opposed to our cities and regions where people aren't leaving and actually want to live in? My instinct here is that this is political theatre that ultimately does very little for an area that will continue to depopulate.

Respectfully disagree on this one. It shouldn't matter whether people "actually want to live in" Appalachia -- the reality is that a lot of people do live there, aren't planning on leaving anytime soon, and are suffering because of economic problems unique to the region. Helping rural areas and helping cities isn't a binary choice.

The bill seems like it'll be fine once we plug a dollar amount in, and I plan to support it.

Detroit, for example, suffers similarly from blight, job loss, population loss, and brain drain. However, as Detroit is a large population in a smaller area, you could more effectively help more people by investing there. Even if we were to pursue this, I don't think it's fair to choose certain groups (mostly whites) to prioritize over other groups (mostly non-whites).

I think there's more value in supporting environmental clean up efforts in former mining areas while investing in jobs where economies have more foundational support. We get a better per dollar return by doing so. Respectfully, I think there's evidence that the economic problems unique to Appalachia are not going to be fixed by this bill. It may have a band-aid effect temporarily, but the root cause of decline is not addressed here and will eventually supercede any artificial investment in this region.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 01:36:29 AM »

Can we get some more discussion on this?

I am concerned prioritizing a very, very white rural region over all of our struggling urban areas and even struggling predominantly minority areas such as agricultural regions of California or Native American lands in the Plains states sends the wrong message.

Pretty much every pink, red, green, and orange county on this map could use some clean up and financial investment. These areas have been overlooked despite providing, in many cases, serious contributions to our economic engine.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:04:35 AM »

I motion to table the bill without a vote.

Seconded.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

To table the bill without a vote would require 2/3 of the House to agree to suspend the rules. Are you sure you don't just want to go trough the normal tabling process? Unless i am just misunderstanding and you just meant without a vote on the bill itself.

Hmm. I had originally called for a final vote, but I deleted it when Ted motioned the table. Personally, I don't think the method matters so if a final vote is easier then we should do that.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »

Aye
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 11:42:36 AM »

I'll motion for a final vote.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »

Nay