Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:37:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 915344 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: January 23, 2022, 02:39:30 PM »

The British government says it’s intelligence indicates that Russia will attempt a regime change in Ukraine

https://apnews.com/article/d6425c531f277b9dfb099511999822f4

This would disgrace the hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians that rallied for and won their self governance eight years ago. Biden and Boris better toughen up immediately.

The last thing Biden needs at this juncture is to appear as weak and feckless as President Carter was during the Iran hostage crisis.  Especially in the wake of our less-than-ideal withdrawal from Afghanistan last summer.  For heaven's sake, he tried to present himself during the campaign as the Democratic equivalent of President George H. W. Bush with his supposedly vast foreign policy experience as head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.  I would like to see him prove it. 

Prove it how?

All the suggestions that people have for Biden "acting tough" are essentially suggesting that he escalate the situation. I can understand why people think that might be the necessary thing, but I don't see that being a politically successful thing.

The problem with comparing 2022 to 1979 is that the American public are now much less supportive of military intervention of any kind.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 09:04:28 AM »

Not sure if it's the right place for this but this Lithuanian MP is spitting pure facts

Based

As I said earlier in the thread: it's Europe, what state is not a construct?

That's generally the case all over the world, so the "it's Europe" part is odd. All states in the Americas and nearly all in Africa (only three exceptions) are ahistorical constructs, while it's Asia and Europe that have nearly all of the states with old (in some cases very old) historical roots even if the modern borders are different.

Egypt, Ethiopia, and......?

Liberia, maybe? Though that country was still a construct in the true sense
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »

I think the collective West is splitting into the Anglosphere (US UK) and the Carolingian Empire (Germany France Italy) on the Russia issue.  The Carolingian Empire will try to go for a deal.  It will be fun to see the Carolingian Empire does come up with a deal with Putin what the Anglosphere reaction will be.

Are France and Italy really as eager for a deal as the Germans? I haven't gotten that vibe from the way Macron is acting (and I haven't seen anything about Draghi)
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »

What I don't see is what precisely is the upside of occupying large swathes of eastern Ukraine?

Crimea I understand due to the strategic importance in the Black sea, and the most Eastern oblast maybe, given how many Russians living there. But everywhere else there will be large contingencies of angry armed nationalist Ukrainians who will wage guerilla warfare on Russian troops for as long as they occupy. Eastern Ukraine is not so resource-filled as to provide that much.

What, then is the endgame? install a more explicitly pro-Russian government in Kiev? I don't see the exit strategy here
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »

Russia isn't the only one with nukes. I don't understand why people don't realize we have more than they do. If Putin wants to bite off more fallout than he can chew, that is on him.

You say this like even one nuclear weapon doesn't bring an immeasurable amount of harm
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 12:19:16 PM »

Sanctions won’t do anything, a rocket will be more of a deterrent than a sanction ever would!

How can you say that? Sanctions are economic warfare--they may not have the immediate effect that you'd prefer, but they absolutely do something.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 02:35:02 PM »

Based Boris.

Maybe a little Churchill in him after all...

Funny joke there, Alben!
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 11:35:48 AM »

So I was just skimming through the Russia invades Georgia thread we had and it reminded me that that invasion took place around the same time as an Olympics in Beijing.  Weird heh?

The Crimea annexation and start of the Donbas war were right after the Sochi games too. Something about the Olympics gets Putin extra bloodthirsty.

I think it might be an extreme example of how nationalist sentiment ramps up during an Olympics (and to think it was originally designed to combat nationalism!)
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 10:57:49 AM »

He is  Rabid nationalist disguised as a Christian. Surely if Jesus's injunction against the wicked using his name in the furtherance of evil is true, then there's a special place in h*** for Kirill.

I have said for years if I'm going back to the Church it's either Catholic or Orthodox cause I frankly think Protestantism makes no sense.

This solidifies Catholicism for me.

It's pretty unfair to dismiss the whole of Orthodox Christianity just because of Kirill. Kirill's awfulness doesn't negate the whole of the denomination
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 10:52:26 AM »

To link with the hot topic de jour, I wonder what Zelensky thinks of Johnson's ongoing defenestration.

He’s probably disappointed that the easiest source of aid is drying up, but I’m sure Ukrainian officials will be taking the opportunity to suggest Johnson should make one more round of commitments “to cement his legacy”.

Why would the next PM, whomever they be, not be as pro-Ukraine as Johnson? Johnson clearly likes to portray himself at this uniquely pro-Ukraine voice on the world stage, but I don't think in terms of nuts-and-bolts logistical support that a different PM would be that dramatically different
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 12:47:03 PM »

To link with the hot topic de jour, I wonder what Zelensky thinks of Johnson's ongoing defenestration.

He’s probably disappointed that the easiest source of aid is drying up, but I’m sure Ukrainian officials will be taking the opportunity to suggest Johnson should make one more round of commitments “to cement his legacy”.

Why would the next PM, whomever they be, not be as pro-Ukraine as Johnson? Johnson clearly likes to portray himself at this uniquely pro-Ukraine voice on the world stage, but I don't think in terms of nuts-and-bolts logistical support that a different PM would be that dramatically different

I think our next PM will remain pro-Ukraine, but BoJo was often prepared to take bigger, “riskier” and more expensive steps because his political career was foundering and he needed short-term fixes. He also got to cosplay as Churchill, who he is particularly familiar with.

Fair point, but BoJo's love of Churchillian optics isn't unusual among Tories (at least in my outsider point of view, anyway). Plus whomever gets the job will want to assert themselves on the world stage, so I figure a Prime Minister Truss/Sunak/Patel/etc would do similar things.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2022, 07:23:35 AM »

Well, the new Russian commander certainly is working hard to confirm the rumors about his bold (or ruthless) leadership style

Getting back to topic: how is Ukraine going to deal with this during the winter? That's clearly the Russian goal here--a country without heat and power in a lot of places will find it tough to put up a fight.

And how will the West help Ukraine when it comes to this kind of infrastructure?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies