When should abortion/pregnancy termination become illegal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:19:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  When should abortion/pregnancy termination become illegal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: In order of how late in the pregnancy these are currently considered to be.
Moment of conception

"Morning after"

End of first week after conception

Beginning of fetal stage

End of first month after conception

End of first trimester

Point when a fetus is capable of feeling pain

Point of viability

Point where "partial-birth abortion" is used

End of second trimester

Point that fetus's eyes open

One month before date fetus is due

One week before date fetus is due

Any point prior to birth

After birth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: When should abortion/pregnancy termination become illegal?  (Read 6068 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »

When the fetus becomes viable in abortion on demand cases. The problem is determining when that is.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2011, 07:07:53 PM »

After the first trimester, or when brain waves start, is the point at which there should begin to be restrictions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2011, 07:13:49 PM »

That being said, if you are raped, the law proscribing abortion's objective to preserve chastity and responsibility is greatly lessened if you had no power over whether or not you conceived.

I reject the idea that abortion should be proscribed in order to preserve chastity and responsibility.  Do we criminalize fornication anymore?  Do we still send debtors to jail for failing to repay their debts?  The only reason I see as being valid for proscribing abortion is that in doing so one is protecting a human life.  When human life begins is a subjective question that is best left to legislatures to determine the answer a society will use. (Which may lead to objective standards for determining if a human life has begun according to that subjective answer.)

So, why are there so few, or any "pro-life" regimes that punish the killing of an unborn person in a different way than killing a born person?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2011, 02:04:58 AM »

Women's right to choose > baby's right to life

Seeing this explicitly laid out this way is more than a little disturbing even to (normal) people who support legal abortion, you know.

Maybe but I find it a good summary of my position that explains why I disagree with people who support legal abortion only in the first trimester.

You're still explicitly stating that you believe that a certain class of people has the right to absolute power of life and death over another class of people, so that makes me not like you very much, even though I can respect the same position arrived at on different grounds.

Many "pro-choicers" don't consider embryos and fetuses to be people, Nathan. And basically greenforest's statement is typical "pro-choice" logic--"pro-choicers" believe that the rights of women are superior to the rights of their prenatal offspring, at least until some stage of pregnancy.

I know that; it was his initial glib use of the world 'baby' there that disturbed me, since that could also imply a justification of infanticide (although we clarified that he didn't intend to imply that).
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 07:57:31 AM »

Viability, which is generally considered sometime between the 20th and 24th week of pregnancy.  After that, only allowed if a medical professional says the mother's life or health are at serious risk.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 11:02:30 AM »

Obviously at the very moment when life begins; and that's the moment of conception.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 01:21:53 PM »

That being said, if you are raped, the law proscribing abortion's objective to preserve chastity and responsibility is greatly lessened if you had no power over whether or not you conceived.

I reject the idea that abortion should be proscribed in order to preserve chastity and responsibility.  Do we criminalize fornication anymore?  Do we still send debtors to jail for failing to repay their debts?  The only reason I see as being valid for proscribing abortion is that in doing so one is protecting a human life.  When human life begins is a subjective question that is best left to legislatures to determine the answer a society will use. (Which may lead to objective standards for determining if a human life has begun according to that subjective answer.)

So, why are there so few, or any "pro-life" regimes that punish the killing of an unborn person in a different way than killing a born person?
Criminal penalties aren't just about the harm done. They are also about the intent and circumstances, and what society at large will allow.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies