Opinion of American Humanist Association? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:39:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of American Humanist Association? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FG

HG

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Opinion of American Humanist Association?  (Read 3165 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 26, 2019, 01:52:00 AM »

Humanism makes little sense with “secular” added in front of it, regardless of what we puny humans think.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »

Humanism makes little sense with “secular” added in front of it, regardless of what we puny humans think.
This. The most "humanist" way is the way that recognizes He who created everything and that recognizes our place as humans; what we are, and what we are not. Most of the problems of the modern world are caused by an imbalance in the world and in ourselves, the imbalance that is the logical consequence of the increasing lack of recognition of all this. The American Humanist Association contributes to this nefarious development, so I voted HG.

I waiver back and forth on terms of my actual spiritual views, but I've generally come to the conclusion that, in a world with secular presumptions, society is a mutual survival pact, and that human dignity is a defense mechanism. By contrast, when I first heard of humanism in seventh grade documentaries about the Renaissance, it seemed a naturally religious phenomenon--God has given us bodies and minds and it is incumbent on us to use them. (Mind you, I'm no philosophy expert, so maybe I missed the point of Renaissance-era humanism)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is one of the funniest exchanges I've seen on the forum in general in a while, but I can take no credit for that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies