Which party do most deists support?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:57:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which party do most deists support?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
Democratic

Republican

Third-party

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Which party do most deists support?  (Read 1055 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:17:29 PM »

It would have to be Democrats, seeing how Republicans want us Deists to be a Jesus-freak. To many ignorant Republicans there is no difference between a Deist and a atheist.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »

Let’s call all ten and find out.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:14:39 PM »

Deism has been replaced by Atheism.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »

The Democratic-Republicans, I assume?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:42:37 PM »

Did I wake up in the mid-18th century?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:48:34 PM »

Federalist of course.
James Monroe

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 12:28:40 AM »

Guys, we still existed in small numbers! Check out the link below and find out our battle against the dogma of religion.

http://www.deism.com
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 01:48:42 AM »

James Monroe

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 05:46:24 PM »

It's not like deism has vanished, just a niche position to hold in this day and age.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 05:55:35 PM »

It's not like deism has vanished, just a niche position to hold in this day and age.

A very niche position. It seems to have been largely replaced by pantheism or the amorphous group of people calling themselves "spiritual but not religious".
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »

Let’s call all ten and find out.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 12:23:01 AM »

A very niche position. It seems to have been largely replaced by pantheism or the amorphous group of people calling themselves "spiritual but not religious".

There are probably some interesting historical and sociological conclusions to be drawn from this shift, since pantheism is at least nominally the exact opposite of deism.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »

My brother is a deist and I think he's a red Tory. One down, nine to go.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »

It would have to be Democrats, seeing how Republicans want us Deists to be a Jesus-freak. To many ignorant Republicans there is no difference between a Deist and a atheist.

When calling other people ignorant, it's best not to have a horribly constructed sentence where you misspell "too."
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:55 AM »

Are we talking about deism as the disbelief in a god who interacts with humankind?  or the more specific Christian/Jeffersonian Deism that rejects the divinity of Jesus?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 12:55:53 AM »

There are probably some interesting historical and sociological conclusions to be drawn from this shift, since pantheism is at least nominally the exact opposite of deism.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the migration of Eastern religions to the West, especially Sikhism.
It's more about the rise of literacy, environmentalism, improved communication and translation, and globalization.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2019, 02:15:22 AM »

“I believe in gravity, but it doesn’t do anything today.”

Sounds like a solid Green Party voter to me.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 05:17:49 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2019, 07:18:48 PM by God-Emperor Schultz »

I wonder how much of it has to do with the migration of Eastern religions to the West, especially Sikhism.
It's more about the rise of literacy, environmentalism, improved communication and translation, and globalization.

I don't think it follows that those would lead to a growth in pantheism in particular, other than maybe environmentalism. It's not like classic deism was less "literate" or less "global" than today's "spiritual but not religious" thought or pantheism; if anything it was more elite-driven and just as grounded in first principles that were (facially) culturally neutral.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »

I don't think it follows that those would lead to a growth in pantheism in particular, other than mayb environmentalism. It's not like classic deism was less "literate" or less "global" than today's "spiritual but not religious" thought or pantheism; if anything it was more elite-driven and just as grounded in first principles that were (facially) culturally neutral.

I can't say I know enough historically to say too much here, but it seems like a belief system which is less elite-driven and not as grounded on first principles would spread much more easily with the rise of literacy (for ideas to spread across a broad number of people), globalization, and mass-media communication. since these ideas would have less support among the academic/clerical community which had more of a 'gatekeeper' role in the past than they do today. 
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »

Deist democrat here. I doubt there many sensible deists who would support a party that very often wishes to impose religion on government and uses it as cover for discrimination and bigotry.

“I believe in gravity, but it doesn’t do anything today.”

Do you see any concrete proof of God's actions in the present world? I for sure can sense gravity.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies