Are you in favor of birth control and contraception? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:01:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are you in favor of birth control and contraception? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Go.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Are you in favor of birth control and contraception?  (Read 12485 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: January 29, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
« edited: January 29, 2010, 09:37:32 PM by Рошамбо »

I wanted to ask this question since many Republicans and conservatives are against abortion, yet also against birth control and contraception, which prevents abortion. This is a position I have never quite understood. I was just wondering what people's attitudes on birth control and contraception are on this Forum.

As for my views, Yes, I support contraception and birth control.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:53 PM »

Personally yes for now, but in the long-term, no. Birthrates have fallen dramatically in every Western nation. People in Western nations need to breed more, not less.

By long term, do you mean after 2050, when much more countries worldwide become developed and have even lower birthrates?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »

Personally yes for now, but in the long-term, no. Birthrates have fallen dramatically in every Western nation. People in Western nations need to breed more, not less.

By long term, do you mean after 2050, when much more countries worldwide become developed and have even lower birthrates?

No, I mean ASAP, when looking at the bigger picture.

Fertility rates worldwide are still above replacement level (about 2.1 children per family).
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »

Fertility rates worldwide are still above replacement level (about 2.1 children per family).

In Third World nations, you mean. That's not a good thing. They could use more birth control and contraception.

I mean on average worldwide. In third world nations, the fertility rate is higher than the world average, but both fertility rates are above replacement.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:02:37 PM »

In Third World nations, you mean. That's not a good thing. They could use more birth control and contraception.

I mean on average worldwide. In third world nations, the fertility rate is higher than the world average, but both fertility rates are above replacement.

Not in the U.S. or Europe or Japan....

I know that. I was talking about the whole world at large.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:09:09 AM »

Countries won't 'die out'. People will have sex without protection. But if you are young and gonna have sex or you dont want to have a kid then protection is good. the dieing out is just bull.

Um, if we don't have enough children to replace the workforce, support the retirees, and keep the economy running, this country will be in for a world of hurt.

Red China will colonize North America atop our ruins.

China's population is currently rapidly aging and is projected to begin declining in the 2030s.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »

Countries won't 'die out'. People will have sex without protection. But if you are young and gonna have sex or you dont want to have a kid then protection is good. the dieing out is just bull.

Um, if we don't have enough children to replace the workforce, support the retirees, and keep the economy running, this country will be in for a world of hurt.

China's population is currently rapidly aging and is projected to begin declining in the 2030s.

Um, China's population is already bursting at the seams.

Then why did you say China will colonize us if we promote contraception and birth control?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:07 AM »

Um, China's population is already bursting at the seams.

Then why did you say China will colonize us if we promote contraception and birth control?

China will need somewhere for all of its people to go, while the U.S. population will have been in decline.

Even if more people use birth control, I doubt it will have much of an impact on American birthrates as people who don't want their babies after they get preganant just get an abortion, so the babies wouldn't exist either way. Besides, immigration is currently a very large factor in fueling U.S. population growth.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:20:07 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2010, 02:22:05 AM by Рошамбо »

I was thinking about this the other day and there are two different but related issues.

Liberals are looking at just teen birth rates as a problem. Conservatives are looking at sexually active teens as a the first problem and that leads to teens having children which is the second problem. Do those on the left look at sexually active teens being a problem, or is it only a problem if it leads to pregnancy?

I think liberals look at sexually active teens as a problem only if they get STDs or if they get pregnant. I think liberals are OK with people having sex as long as they take necessary precautions. BTW, what is your position on this issue?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »

Of course -they are far preferable in preventing an unwanted pregnancy than an abortion.  As such, I would like them to be as widely available as possible, with teenagers knowing how to use them through mandatory (yes, mandatory) comprehensive sex education programs in all public schools. 
Why are you emphasizing mandatory so much? It sounds like you have a hard-on for fascistic social control.

So that women know that they can prevent getting pregnant when they are having sex.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »

well the pregnancy rate there is huge. And they don't teach people about condoms.

Or morning-after pills. And then they complain about the huge amounts of people having abortions there. No wonder.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »

Yes of course. I believe that life begins at conception, not when the sperm is created. Thus there is nothing wrong with contraception.

Oh that reminds me btw, I need to pick up some condoms. I have a date. ^^

Not to be offensive, but I'm assuming it's a guy?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »

Yes of course. I believe that life begins at conception, not when the sperm is created. Thus there is nothing wrong with contraception.

Oh that reminds me btw, I need to pick up some condoms. I have a date. ^^

Not to be offensive, but I'm assuming it's a guy?

Haha.
You really are brilliant.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »

Yes. It's always better than abortion, which should be legal too, of course.

Only in certain cases (such as rape, incest, birth defects, maternal life & health, etc.) in my opinion.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »

Yes. It's always better than abortion, which should be legal too, of course.

Only in certain cases (such as rape, incest, birth defects, maternal life & health, etc.) in my opinion.
what do you consider yourself?

Pro-life, if that's what you're asking. But I am strongly in favor of promoting contraception and birth control since they prevent abortions and thus prevent many murders of innocent babies. I would even support handing out contraception for free and teach people how to use it in order to decrease the numbers of unwanted pregancies and abortions.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 09:32:10 PM »

I think the better question is who ISN'T in favor of them.

Many Republicans and conservatives. Sorry for answering if this is a rhetorical question.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies