Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:47:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Can you be pro-life and shoot a deer?  (Read 3670 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:05:51 AM »

I started a thread on hunting to determine if people hunt out of necessity, fun or abit of both. Now virtually everyone stated that they didn't hunt out of necessity. So whether you hunt for fun or abit of necessity and fun, can you be a pro-lifer and shoot a deer?

If so how? you are taking away a life. What reason do you need to shoot a deer? uts no threat to you yet you have taken away its life.

This is not aimed at people who hunt that are not pro-life.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:08:18 AM »

I don't see why not.  To many people, there is a big difference between killing an animal and killing a baby.  Personally, I wouldn't do either.
MissCatholic

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:09:48 AM »

I don't see why not.  To many people, there is a big difference between killing an animal and killing a baby.  Personally, I wouldn't do either.

what is the difference. it is a life?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 10:11:08 AM »

Yes. Don't be stupid.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:13:03 AM »

What's the difference between eating a pig killed in a factory and shooting a deer? For your logic to become one, you would have to at least extend it to "can you be pro-life and not be a vegetarian?"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:15:06 AM »

What's the difference between eating a pig killed in a factory and shooting a deer?

It's probably more humane to shoot a deer...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:16:09 AM »

What's the difference between eating a pig killed in a factory and shooting a deer?

It's probably more humane to shoot a deer...
I agree.
At least the deer has had a life.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 10:59:25 AM »

pig's tasty.  deer's a bit gamey for my taste.  big difference, imho.

the latter needs a much heartier Petit Syrah to wash it down.

(you'd have to ask a Scot or an Appalachian about any other differences)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »

But it's not human. 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 02:21:10 PM »

But it's not human. 

Indeed, and further, plants are life as well, so they couldn't kill any plants either if we followed the logic being presented here. Even more, someone who is 'pro-choice' would have to be pro-choice on any possible choice. This is what happens when you take these one-issue labels and apply them literally to all possible issues.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »

I started a thread on hunting to determine if people hunt out of necessity, fun or abit of both. Now virtually everyone stated that they didn't hunt out of necessity. So whether you hunt for fun or abit of necessity and fun, can you be a pro-lifer and shoot a deer?

If so how? you are taking away a life. What reason do you need to shoot a deer? uts no threat to you yet you have taken away its life.

This is not aimed at people who hunt that are not pro-life.

Human life is more valuable than animal life.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 02:24:21 PM »

Such as the human life of criminals on death row
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 02:26:13 PM »

Such as the human life of criminals on death row

I know you feel strongly about the death penalty, Ebowed, but please don't hijack the thread - last time we both got into a horrible argument over it and it went way off topic.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 02:57:30 PM »

I know, I know Grin

Anyway, of course you can be prolife and shoot a deer... I'm a bit of a hunting fan myself.  (Although I used to feel differently about hunting.)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 03:23:35 PM »

ever had wild boar?
it's twice as good as normal pig.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 03:36:27 PM »

ever had wild boar?
it's twice as good as normal pig.

oooh, not yet.  But it sounds intriguing.  Haven't had primate either.  had antelope.  that's tasty.   llama and alpaca, too.  alpaca is tender and tasty.  llama isn't.  I generally restrict my diet to vegetarians.  Mammalian carnivores I've tasted are nasty.  That said, snails gorged on raw meat are generally tastier than those fed on other foodstuffs.  In any fine restaurants, your waiter should be able to tell you about the previous diet of the escargot, or any item on their menu.  Their diet makes all the difference.  Still, I'd probably give wild boar a go if the opportunity arises.  I think we went through all the fishes in another thread.  No need to repeat it here.

Seems to me that if you're ever in a situation where it looks like you'll have to resort to eating humans, like in that movie "Alive," find out who the vegetarians are before people start to die off.  They'll be the ones to eat.  Also, find out who smokes and who doesn't, who drinks too much alcohol and who doesn't, etc.  These factors all influence the taste.

Wonder if you can get farm-raised corn-fed deer?  That'd be tasty, I bet.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 03:37:30 PM »

A carrot is alive too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »

A carrot is alive too.

Not after I get through with them they're not. 

carrots are tasty too.  you see, we're learning something.  all these "tasty" things are apparently okay to kill, presumably based on the fact that they're so damned tasty.  Soya beans, pigs, carrots, alpaca, green beans, antelope, tomatos, cows, etc.  These things are all delicious.  Deer, presumably, is delicious to some folks as well.  Just like turnips are delicious.  (To some people.)  So it's okay to kill them.  Being delicious is like having a sign on your back that says, "Eat me!"  Burdock root, on the other hand, is nasty.  And the only people I know who eat them are the tree-hugging vegan types.  sick bastards.  Why do they pretend to like that stuff?  And, moreover, how can they justify killing the Burdock plants since it clearly isn't tasty? 

Here is a beautiful Burdock Flower.  How can those insensitive vegetarian bastards eat these helpless life forms?

Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2005, 04:52:58 PM »

you see, we're learning something.  all these "tasty" things are apparently okay to kill, presumably based on the fact that they're so damned tasty.  Soya beans, pigs, carrots, alpaca, green beans, antelope, tomatos, cows, etc.  These things are all delicious.
Sorry, Angus, I'm afraid that this isn't a universal rule. A Hindu might take exception to the cows, and a Jew or Muslim to the pigs.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2005, 06:08:28 PM »

MissCatholic, you seem to like animals a lot, for all I know, you could be a vegetarian also.  Hey, I like animals, but I realize that there is a certain heirarchy that must be maintained, that we humans know to be self-evident.  Roughly, the order goes:

1.Humans (God put us on Earth (in part to maintain order here and watch over nature/animals and plants)
2."Helper or Intelligent Animals" those that serve a purpose in aiding humans.  For example, a dog watches out for the master in case of a break-in, and in turn gets attention and petting, (a mutual benefit).  Horses also fit in here, since they can give someone a ride.  Typical pets also serve a purpose here.
3."Wild Animals" just what the name implies.  These are sometimes alright to hunt, but not all the time.  Reason is that sometimes (like in a deer population), the deer overpopulate and rather than having them die painfully (starvation, because they can't find food in the winter), we can hunt a certain amount, and they'll die less painfully with a bullet.
4."Feeding Animals"are animals bred only to die and become meat product for humans.  Chickens and Cows fit in here.

Types 3 and 4 are okay to hunt/slaughter/whatever for our own means.  I don't understand why hunt when your not going to make some sort of use out of the animal body (whether it food, clothing or what have you) however, I respect that I am of a higher order than the animals.  It seems that it would be a bad analogy to compare this to abortion since abortion refers to the highest class of animals-humans.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2005, 06:15:03 PM »

Are you seriously asking if it's philosophically consistent to be pro life and shoot a deer? Of course it is, especially if it's for some use.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2005, 08:16:32 PM »

you see, we're learning something.  all these "tasty" things are apparently okay to kill, presumably based on the fact that they're so damned tasty.  Soya beans, pigs, carrots, alpaca, green beans, antelope, tomatos, cows, etc.  These things are all delicious.
A Hindu might take exception to the cows, and a Jew or Muslim to the pigs.

or a Scot to the sheep. 

Rome week.  Night Three:  Caesar.

The acquisition of Gaul.  Smiley 
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 08:24:18 PM »

A Hindu might take exception to the cows, and a Jew or Muslim to the pigs.

or a Scot to the sheep. 

Rome week.  Night Three:  Caesar.

The acquisition of Gaul.  Smiley 
Haha Angus, o why?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 08:50:03 PM »

Loire River valley.  circa 52 BC.  not looking good for the Empire at the moment.  Caesar's boys are hemmed in by the gaul tribesmen.  Let's see if Versingetorix and his proto-keltic band of back-country rednecks can push caesar out of the valley.  (my money's on rome!)

are you into this?  History channel, prime time all week.  They're marketing a series of fascinating documentaries and mini-dramas called "When in Rome week"  Tonight at 10 CDT (11 EDT) there'll be one about Rome, They New York of their time.  Very well documented.  Scholarly.  you have to put up with lots of folks with that grating British accent, but it's not too bad.  After all, there's more interest in Rome in the universities of Engand than here.  Good stuff, though.

screw it.  the bastard's dead now anyway.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2005, 09:09:26 PM »

Did you see the episode last night about Tiberias and his fixation on children as sex objects? That part of it was disturbing to say the least.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies