Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:16:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?
Mark Herring

Bobby Scott

Gerry Connolly

Himself

Someone else (please post choice)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Who should the Virginia Gov appoint to be interim senator?  (Read 1645 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: October 22, 2016, 01:10:39 PM »

How does replacing Senate vacancies work in VA? Will the appointed Senator serve until 2018, or will there have to be a special election before then?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »

How does replacing Senate vacancies work in VA? Will the appointed Senator serve until 2018, or will there have to be a special election before then?

Special Election in Nov 2017 alongside Gubernatorial election. Then election for same seat in 2018.

Ugh, what a ridiculous system.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »

Special Election in Nov 2017 alongside Gubernatorial election. Then election for same seat in 2018.

Ugh, what a ridiculous system.

I'm not sure what makes you believe this. It makes sense if you think about it. We already have an election scheduled for Gov in Nov. 2017 anyway so we just need to add a few names to the ballot to determine who we choose to represent our state until the end of Tim Kaine's term, then the following Nov. we get to decide who will represent us for the next six years. Nothing ridiculous about it.

It just seems weird to have two elections for the same seat within a year's distance. I'd say an election only makes sense if you have at least 2 years to go.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »

Really, this is a big reason Kaine was a bad choice. It's unnecessary risk and now Democrats have to pour tens of millions into Virginia just a year later, and possibly again a year later.

This x10000. I wasn't involved in the discussion on the race at that time, but if I was I would have said this was a TERRIBLE decision.

We must really hope 2016 is a turning point for VA politics and that it will get harder and harder for Republicans to win statewide.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies