Opinion of South Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:00:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of South Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Freedom State

Horrible State

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Opinion of South Carolina  (Read 1435 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
« edited: January 18, 2014, 12:52:32 AM by traininthedistance »

So you consider Thomas Jefferson a traitor (or at the very least a proponent of treachery)?

Well, I do think that Jefferson's positions on nullification were horrible, and cast a pall on much of his political thought.  And nullification in the open service of Slave Power is, obviously, even far worse than Jefferson's merely wrong theorizing.  

But I was mostly just being arch.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »

Freedom State obviously.

While some here would consider Columbia bland, I consider it unpretentious and affordable.  I'm in the middle of house hunting now (actually hunting for two houses, as I'm helping my sister hunt for one as well) and I expect to get a basic two bedroom house in a good neighborhood in the $75-125K range. (We do have McMansions here as well unfortunately, so obviously not everyone here enjoys the simple life.)  [I might end up in a manufactured home. The main reason I might not is that trying to find suitable land to put one on without living out in the country can be problematic.]
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 10:45:14 PM »

Freedom State obviously.

While some here would consider Columbia bland, I consider it unpretentious and affordable.  I'm in the middle of house hunting now (actually hunting for two houses, as I'm helping my sister hunt for one as well) and I expect to get a basic two bedroom house in a good neighborhood in the $75-125K range. (We do have McMansions here as well unfortunately, so obviously not everyone here enjoys the simple life.)  [I might end up in a manufactured home. The main reason I might not is that trying to find suitable land to put one on without living out in the country can be problematic.]
Did my basic at ft.Jackson,in the summer, hated it. Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 11:21:14 PM »

My dad didn't enjoy the heat at Fort Bliss during World War II either, so I'd say we're even.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »

HS mostly for the terrible politics there (Democratic gubernatorial candidate being anti-SSM, state Democrats endorsing school prayer, Joe Wilson, Sanford, Haley etc.), but I've been to Myrtle Beach before which is pretty nice.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 12:24:57 AM »

My dad didn't enjoy the heat at Fort Bliss during World War II either, so I'd say we're even.
I was born at ft.Bliss so it's not all bad lol
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 07:01:19 AM »

Massive HS, though not quite as bad as West Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »

HS mostly for the terrible politics there (Democratic gubernatorial candidate being anti-SSM, state Democrats endorsing school prayer, Joe Wilson, Sanford, Haley etc.), but I've been to Myrtle Beach before which is pretty nice.
Myrtle Beach has awful politics, btw.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »

I really don't understand this forum sometimes. HS is leading in this poll, and yet Alaska, Idaho, and Nebraska are all FS? Why does this forum hate warm places?
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 01:07:34 PM »

I really don't understand this forum sometimes. HS is leading in this poll, and yet Alaska, Idaho, and Nebraska are all FS? Why does this forum hate warm places?

I can't vouch for Nebraska, but Alaska and Idaho have beautiful geography.

Though for S. Carolina, I don't really understand why Georgia and North Carolina can be FS but not South Carolina.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »

Though for S. Carolina, I don't really understand why Georgia and North Carolina can be FS but not South Carolina.

Agreed that at least AK and ID have good scenery and that the Nebraska vote is just utterly inexplicable here.  I did vote FS for Alaska but not Idaho FWIW.

South Carolina was ground zero for Southern treason, which is sufficient justification to brand it as more of an HS in comparison to its neighbors.  But I certainly think that Georgia at least should have joined it in the red.

As for the forum "hating warm places", it would be more accurate to say that we like and appreciate snow.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »

You guys disappoint me again.

In the poll, its so far >50% HS. But the only two border states, NC and GA, are getting >60% and >70% FS. Not only that, but Louisiana out of all places (arguably more southern than SC), gets >70% FS (I have yet to understand that result). I'm theorizing that the reason SC is getting the result that it is, is because there is no big city with a liberal culture (New Orleans/Atlanta/Research Triangle/Charlotte all have some kind of left-wing presence that this forum likes). With SC the best you got is Columbia, which isn't talked about very much at all. Another reason might be political trends. NC and GA have shown signs of trending to the left, while South Carolina is fairly stagnant and more conservative than the two states, so the fact that they are contestable by democrats would probably make them more popular.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »

You guys disappoint me again.

In the poll, its so far >50% HS. But the only two border states, NC and GA, are getting >60% and >70% FS. Not only that, but Louisiana out of all places (arguably more southern than SC), gets >70% FS (I have yet to understand that result). I'm theorizing that the reason SC is getting the result that it is, is because there is no big city with a liberal culture (New Orleans/Atlanta/Research Triangle/Charlotte all have some kind of left-wing presence that this forum likes). With SC the best you got is Columbia, which isn't talked about very much at all. Another reason might be political trends. NC and GA have shown signs of trending to the left, while South Carolina is fairly stagnant and more conservative than the two states, so the fact that they are contestable by democrats would probably make them more popular.
Louisiana has Mardi Gras.
Reginald
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »

Of course Nebraska has good scenery as well. Most states do; you just have to know where to look. But it's become apparent that to a lot of voters physical geography only matters when it involves mountains or water, otherwise it's boring wasteland. Which is obviously incredibly simplistic and a bit of a shame that people think that way, actually.

I will admit though that Nebraska seems to have received a net positive rating largely because… "Lincoln and Omaha are cool cities." What? Awfully arbitrary, but I guess we'll see what happens when upcoming states that also have "cool cities" are schematized judged. I suspect that criterion won't be as prominent for whatever reason.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 02:49:07 PM »

Barely FS, like Georgia. 
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »

Agreed that at least AK and ID have good scenery and that the Nebraska vote is just utterly inexplicable here.  I did vote FS for Alaska but not Idaho FWIW.

South Carolina was ground zero for Southern treason, which is sufficient justification to brand it as more of an HS in comparison to its neighbors.  But I certainly think that Georgia at least should have joined it in the red.

As for the forum "hating warm places", it would be more accurate to say that we like and appreciate snow.

That seems to be the reason a lot of people are labeling it HS. Which is a pretty weak reason to me; its like labeling countries like Germany HC because it was ground zero for Nazism at one point. South Carolina still has racial issues, but so does Georgia, which got a FS rating.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 05:28:57 PM »

Have any of the HS voters ever heard of Charleston?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »

FS.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:57 PM »

Have any of the HS voters ever heard of Charleston?
You can find a cool place in any state. So what?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »

That's my point. Tongue
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

mild HS
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length