John F. Kennedy vs. Jimmy Carter: Who was the better president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:26:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  John F. Kennedy vs. Jimmy Carter: Who was the better president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Kennedy (D)

Kennedy (R)

Kennedy (I/O)

Carter (D)

Carter (I/O)

Carter (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: John F. Kennedy vs. Jimmy Carter: Who was the better president?  (Read 572 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2022, 04:58:40 PM »

Carter.
Oppo

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 05:10:48 PM »

Kennedy’s actions during the Cuban Missile Crisis are among the bravest of all statesmen
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 05:52:56 PM »

If trajectories are taken into account: JFK

If the actual terms for what we got only [my vote is here]: Carter

LBJer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 06:02:13 PM »

Kennedy’s actions during the Cuban Missile Crisis are among the bravest of all statesmen

Once the crisis was underway, yes he showed excellent judgement.  But was it really necessary to go public to begin with, telling the nation about the missiles in Cuba?  Kennedy put Khrushchev in an extraordinarily difficult position--risk nuclear war or be humiliated in front of the entire world.  What would have happened if Khrushchev hadn't backed down?

I voted for JFK here, by the way. 
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 08:44:54 PM »

The former is the 2nd most overrated President of the 20th Century (after Reagan) while the later is somewhat underrated. Kennedy was still the better President but Carter was/is by far a better person.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 09:51:21 PM »

Carter didn't bring us to the brink of nuclear war.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 10:19:18 PM »

There is not a single problem the Middle East has had (with the exception of some Israel/Palestine stuff) since 1979 that cannot directly be traced to the awfulness of the Carter Administration towards Iran.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 10:25:38 PM »

There is not a single problem the Middle East has had (with the exception of some Israel/Palestine stuff) since 1979 that cannot directly be traced to the awfulness of the Carter Administration towards Iran.

I'd argue it could be traced back to 1953 when a Democratically elected government was taken out in a coup. What specifically could Carter have done to prevent the revolution? Was he supposed to bomb Iran after the hostages were taken?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 10:34:02 PM »

I'd argue it could be traced back to 1953 when a Democratically elected government was taken out in a coup. What specifically could Carter have done to prevent the revolution? Was he supposed to bomb Iran after the hostages were taken?

Anyone who knows anything about modern Iranian history knows that Operation Ajax played only a supporting role in the coup of 1953. The fact is that there were significant and powerful forces in Iran which preferred the Shah to the prime minister, including the Islamists in power now.

Anyways, the Carter Administration did seemingly everything they could to delegitimize the Shah when he was at an extremely vulnerable point in his power, and when various nefarious leftist groups (both religion and secular) were working to bring him and down and instill their own dictatorship. Every Iranian American I know (and I know a lot) look at Carter as being one of the worst presidents in American history because of how he played a key role in creating not only the mess in Iran, but in the entire Middle East.

dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 11:21:42 PM »

Anyone who knows anything about modern Iranian history knows that Operation Ajax played only a supporting role in the coup of 1953. The fact is that there were significant and powerful forces in Iran which preferred the Shah to the prime minister, including the Islamists in power now.

Anyways, the Carter Administration did seemingly everything they could to delegitimize the Shah when he was at an extremely vulnerable point in his power, and when various nefarious leftist groups (both religion and secular) were working to bring him and down and instill their own dictatorship. Every Iranian American I know (and I know a lot) look at Carter as being one of the worst presidents in American history because of how he played a key role in creating not only the mess in Iran, but in the entire Middle East.

If we're talking the Middle East as a whole, I think Dubya was the President of the last 50 years most responsible for the mess.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 11:31:19 PM »

Remember guys, it's the job of the US to prop up notoriously cruel and ill-suited leadership that pursued disastrous macroeconomic and religious policies that turned its entire population against it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 12:53:39 AM »

You're right, there were never any conflicts or wars in the Middle East until 1979.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 01:05:11 AM »

A lot of the Cuban fiasco started under/because of Eisenhower
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 01:10:54 AM »

Hard to tell. While I can give Kennedy the benefit of the doubt based on what he accomplished, I feel as if his second term could've gone down the same road as LBJ. On the other hand, I have a soft spot for Carter and he seemed to be less corrupt.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 10:41:16 AM »

Clearly Kennedy.

Carter was a medicore prez.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 03:14:17 PM »

Stark contrast between presidency and person here. Kennedy was a more competent presidents who better understood how to rally people behind him. On the other hand, he had severe personal shortcoming Carter doesn't have.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 11:35:48 AM »

The former is the 2nd most overrated President of the 20th Century (after Reagan) while the later is somewhat underrated. Kennedy was still the better President but Carter was/is by far a better person.
This.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies