IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:12:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN-SEN 2024: Money in the Banks  (Read 6456 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: September 22, 2022, 06:21:54 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/22/mike-braun-likely-running-for-indiana-governor-in-2024-00058350

Indiana Sen. Mike Braun is leaning toward running for governor in 2024, a move that would open up a GOP-held seat in what’s become a reliably red state, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The loquacious first-term senator said on Thursday that he’s not making an official statement at this point.

“Where’d you hear that? I’ll make my mind up here down the road, probably before the end of the year. I’ve been talking about it though since I’ve got here,” Braun said in a brief interview. “I’ll make a formal announcement somewhere probably late November, early December.”

Indy Politics reported on Thursday that Braun is informing Republicans in the state about his plans to run for governor and that he will announce after the midterm election, a move typical of lawmakers who are eyeing new offices. Braun’s office declined further comment.

Should Braun take the plunge, I'd expect a crowded GOP primary for the seat. Don't completely rule out Mike Pence passing on a Presidential bid to return to Indiana and run for Senate either.

For the Democrats, I bet Pete Buttigieg is kicking himself over moving to Michigan right now. Here's a likely open seat, a Democratic Primary field that would clear for him if he ran (which is probably not true in Michigan), and depending on the GOP nominee/political environment, a plausible pickup for Democrats too.

I think he's pretty content.

That's the only way Buttigieg could win.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 05:33:38 PM »

Sounds like someone doesn’t think Republicans are retaking control of the Senate.

Honestly, I think Braun just doesn't like being a Senator and would rather be Governor.

McConnell basically hosts a hostile work environment in the Senate, and that is really handicapping the Republican Party, especially as it concerns recruitment, at least from what I perceive. Had he not made it such an agonizing place to work where a Senator has to be McConnell's flunky to do their job, maybe better candidates like Reschenthaler or Sununu would have run for the Senate this year instead of the dinguses they actually got.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 05:52:06 PM »

Sounds like someone doesn’t think Republicans are retaking control of the Senate.

Honestly, I think Braun just doesn't like being a Senator and would rather be Governor.

McConnell basically hosts a hostile work environment in the Senate, and that is really handicapping the Republican Party, especially as it concerns recruitment, at least from what I perceive. Had he not made it such an agonizing place to work where a Senator has to be McConnell's flunky to do their job, maybe better candidates like Reschenthaler or Sununu would have run for the Senate this year instead of the dinguses they actually got.

Might explain why Spartz is interested. Who else do you think will run for the Republicans? Greg Pence? Todd Rokita? Suzanne Crouch?

I have no idea, it could be anyone. There is not a shortage of recruits for the GOP here. It all depends on whether they actually want to be Senator or not.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 06:49:08 PM »

Does anyone remember when Mitch Daniels-Mr."Haves and Soon-to-Haves"-was a major rising star in the GOP?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 07:21:07 PM »

I think Mike Pence will run for this seat after his presidential bid flames out.

Vice President --> failed presidential candidate --> Senator is a hell of a downward trajectory

I just realized this was Hubert Humphrey's career. He at least managed to get nominated by his party though. And it's an insult to Humphrey to ever compare him to Pence. I apologize to his surviving family members.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 06:36:13 PM »

"Gays Against Groomers?" I want to say f*** this guy, but that group's name is so tactfully chosen  that the defense to that will be: "Oh! So you're pro-groomer!?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies