Update Season X - "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Vol. I."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 07:48:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season X - "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Vol. I."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 80
Author Topic: Update Season X - "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Vol. I."  (Read 210275 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: September 13, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »

Lets hear about the cruise you spent $800 on
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #451 on: September 13, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »

lord
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #452 on: September 13, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »

You watch ridiculous amounts of football and tv. You waste countless hours here and you can't pick up a shift doing something?  This isn't summer camp. You have to start living in the real, adult world where we don't always feel like doing things but forge ahead and do them anyway. Next, You really have to temper your expectations from life.  Again, this isnt the big rock candy mountain.

You have to learn consistency and discipline or you will fail again. These skills don't appear overnight because you wish them.  If you fail the pattern holds that you will be on to your next fantasy. However, hate to be a bummer eventually your Grandma, Mom and Dad will pass and you will have to support yourself. You should focus on that first before some wish fulfillment Kenya lark. Additionally  the fact that you don't have diabetes isnt an attaboy moment. You are in your early 30's that is a default.

Patrick, I am doing things correctly right now.  You must have glossed over this:  I am getting a good education, will get a good job, and will take over my bills next summer.  I'm doing what works best for me and my needs.  I am living in the real world and in no way have I failed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #453 on: September 13, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »

bushie file for bankruptcy instead of deciding how much of papa bushie's pay check you are going to take every month to service your debts.

your credit is in the toilet anyway.

...  Bankruptcy is a stain on your credit the rest of your life.

No matter how many times I tell you that's wrong (and I know, and you don't), you keep repeating that Bushie (a typical pattern of course, because facts rarely get in the way of your feelings, and what you want to do, so thus the process of creating fantasy facts to rationalize it all). Actually a BK can improve your credit rating sometimes, and you find that you get offers for new credit cards. Why? Because you are debt free. What a concept!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #454 on: September 13, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »

You are a moral reprobate who is bad need of help in so many different ways - how about stop listening to yourself. You are where you are because of you.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #455 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:29 PM »

I am living in the real world and in no way have I failed.

real world = watching 50+ hours of television a week but having no time to get a part time job
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #456 on: September 13, 2013, 09:13:24 PM »

bushie file for bankruptcy instead of deciding how much of papa bushie's pay check you are going to take every month to service your debts.

No matter how many times I tell you that's wrong (and I know, and you don't), you keep repeating that Bushie (a typical pattern of course, because facts rarely get in the way of your feelings, and what you want to do, so thus the process of creating fantasy facts to rationalize it all). Actually a BK can improve your credit rating sometimes, and you find that you get offers for new credit cards. Why? Because you are debt free. What a concept!
You should extend the advice to maxing out the other 2 credit cards instead of mooching off his parents.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: September 13, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »

You should extend the advice to maxing out the other 2 credit cards instead of mooching off his parents.

Oh no, we're paying off my cards and regular loan so when I do get on my own next summer, I can more easily focus on paying off the rest of my bills myself including the big card and my student loan.  I should have everything paid off in 2015.  Then, once I have everything paid off, I can start saving money to get myself to Kenya.  That is still my dream and my calling, and God never makes mistakes, so unless the Lord returns before then, I still plan on getting to Africa.  Regardless if I can or cannot adopt my kids, at least I can be near them.  The church will give 10% of its sale profit to Maisha in Kenya, and it looks like we'll get somewhere north of $100,000 out of it.  That would be $10,000 to Maisha which is nearly 900,000 schillings.  They will easily be able to fund quite a bit more of their building projects and expedite the volunteer homes.  There is a method to our madness.  It looks strange, or even dumb, now, but there are reasons we are doing what we're doing.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #458 on: September 13, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »

it's relatively well substantiated as far as these things go.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #459 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »

You watch ridiculous amounts of football and tv. You waste countless hours here and you can't pick up a shift doing something?  This isn't summer camp. You have to start living in the real, adult world where we don't always feel like doing things but forge ahead and do them anyway. Next, You really have to temper your expectations from life.  Again, this isnt the big rock candy mountain.

You have to learn consistency and discipline or you will fail again. These skills don't appear overnight because you wish them.  If you fail the pattern holds that you will be on to your next fantasy. However, hate to be a bummer eventually your Grandma, Mom and Dad will pass and you will have to support yourself. You should focus on that first before some wish fulfillment Kenya lark. Additionally  the fact that you don't have diabetes isnt an attaboy moment. You are in your early 30's that is a default.

Patrick, I am doing things correctly right now.  You must have glossed over this:  I am getting a good education, will get a good job, and will take over my bills next summer.  I'm doing what works best for me and my needs.  I am living in the real world and in no way have I failed.

Oh boy, just glancing at the post below it looks like you are spinning some doozies again. Jeff, I don't think anyone can underestimate your ability to dream big and wish things. However, throughout this narrative you are sorely lacking in the execution dept.  There is a familiar pattern of closing up shop and retreating back the moment something doesn't go your way. Failure has a ultimate finality to me so I won't go there, but you have to admit that you have put yourself and others in a bad spot right now.

You don't wave a magic wand, wish it and make it come true. All of these things take work to repair. Attending classes for a few hours a week, when you decide to go, is not preparing you for the rigors of a 9-5. These are rigors, which you have shown yourself incapable of handling thus far.  You simply need to develop your fortitude.

Then again, if you are quite pleased taking advantage of people for the rest of your life, shame on you. And shame on those who facilitate such behavior. Check your head if need be and get out there and start doing some work.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #460 on: September 13, 2013, 11:00:11 PM »

Oh boy, just glancing at the post below it looks like you are spinning some doozies again. Jeff, I don't think anyone can underestimate your ability to dream big and wish things. However, throughout this narrative you are sorely lacking in the execution dept.  There is a familiar pattern of closing up shop and retreating back the moment something doesn't go your way. Failure has a ultimate finality to me so I won't go there, but you have to admit that you have put yourself and others in a bad spot right now.

You don't wave a magic wand, wish it and make it come true. All of these things take work to repair. Attending classes for a few hours a week, when you decide to go, is not preparing you for the rigors of a 9-5. These are rigors, which you have shown yourself incapable of handling thus far.  You simply need to develop your fortitude.

Then again, if you are quite pleased taking advantage of people for the rest of your life, shame on you. And shame on those who facilitate such behavior. Check your head if need be and get out there and start doing some work.

Let me ask you this.  Is going to school the right thing to do?  Do you believe I will succeed or do you think this school will fail, because I fail?  Mind you, whatever you say is meaningless, but I want to hear it anyway.  I am not doing anything wrong at this time.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #461 on: September 13, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »

Mind you, whatever you say is meaningless, but I want to hear it anyway.

Why do you want to hear something meaningless?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You admit that you're doing wrong things all the time!  People ask you questions like "Why haven't you walked at all in the last two weeks, even though you've had plenty of time to watch television?"  And you give answers like "There's no good excuse.  I've just been lazy.  But I'm working on it!"  Then when people call you on other things, you answer "What I'm doing isn't really wrong.  It's just different" without actually grappling with any of their arguments.

Let me ask you something Bushie.  Approx. how many hours a week do you spend on CAD, both in the classroom and on your own at home?  Because it seems like you should be able to find some time for a part time job, but I'm curious.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #462 on: September 13, 2013, 11:24:02 PM »

This thread represents why I hate middle America. Bushie continues to harp on his short sale being better for him than bankruptcy when it simply is not true, and I know that even after a ton of bourbon.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #463 on: September 13, 2013, 11:59:25 PM »

Listen Jeff, You are right about one thing, what I say is meaningless regarding your life. Ultimately, you will be the one who dictates what success and failure mean to you.  This is probably the biggest question many of us face in our lives.

Further, I have no way of knowing whether this schooling will be good for you. As my horse racing picks will attest, I can't predict the future. Yet, I will throw some observations and sure even advice based on your narrative here.

Past is prologue. Based on this previous evidence, I think you are not preparing yourself properly. I'm sure the North Central Oklahoma Tech football game is quite a barn burner, but it is not pointing you toward the goals you espouse here. By all accounts, you have gotten quite a bit of help from your loved ones to pick you up from your missteps. No shame in getting a hand when you are down. But don't just wallow on the ground. Get up, you owe it to yourself and those who help you.  

Lastly, you should drop the passive aggressive bull$hit.  You can try to frame this as your forum haters being your motivators but you should need no outside fuel to push you forward. To circle back, you really should start to build up your discipline. If the bare minimum and subsistence is okay, you won't achieve your goals.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #464 on: September 14, 2013, 12:34:24 AM »

No. No. No.

You have a bachelor's degree.  You have an expired license to be an insurance broker.  You have plenty of qualifications to get a $40k yearly job.

Taking a CAD class with a bunch of high schoolers for some certificate isn't going to advance you further.  You're overqualified for that class.

More education doesn't fix your real problem: a complete lack of ambition and drive.  You're never going to get a CAD job because you don't interview well and you don't pursue through adversity.  If by some miracle you do land one, you'll get fired because your work will be subpar.  It's a guaranteed fact.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #465 on: September 14, 2013, 12:44:07 AM »

Based on what CAD is all about, I'd be quite surprised if they'd hire someone like Bushie on the basis of completion of a one year course. It sounds like the sort of thing high schoolers take to get college credits to use later for other programs including it. Especially someone with Bushie's work history to boot. Right now there's really no reason for any employer to take a risk with him unless it's one that always has high attrition and doesn't mind hiring someone just to fill staffing requirements for awhile...and really the only decent jobs that operate that way are some call centers and well, we all know how those have worked out.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #466 on: September 14, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »

No. No. No.

You have a bachelor's degree.  You have an expired license to be an insurance broker.  You have plenty of qualifications to get a $40k yearly job.

Taking a CAD class with a bunch of high schoolers for some certificate isn't going to advance you further.  You're overqualified for that class.

More education doesn't fix your real problem: a complete lack of ambition and drive.  You're never going to get a CAD job because you don't interview well and you don't pursue through adversity.  If by some miracle you do land one, you'll get fired because your work will be subpar.  It's a guaranteed fact.

I thought you swore off bothering to try to give Bushie useful advice.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #467 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »

Patrick, thank you for your post.  You're right, I am ultimately the one who will determine whether I succeed or fail.  And, Duke, I have more drive and ambition than what you know.  I understand where you're coming from based on the past.  The thing is I now have the drive and ambition to succeed and get a great, lasting job with my CADD certificate.  I am confident I will get a job for one major reason.  There is a long track record and it is a proven fact that places like Chesapeake Energy, Devon Energy, Sandridge Energy, and Tinker AFB just to name a few, hire more from Metro Tech, Francis-Tuttle Vo-Tech, and Moore-Norman Tech (the only places that offer CADD) than they do from colleges and universities.  The reason for that is our skill is more focused on CADD, whereas the college graduates' knowledge is more broad.  I have to do 975 hours to get this certificate.  I've already completed over 300.  This is not some fantasy that I have.  There is a long track record for this type of thing.  I plan on getting a ~$40,000 job.  I tell you what, though, why don't you wait until I get out of school and just see if I get a job.  I'll even let you keep this doubt that you have until then.  When I do get the job, I plan on keeping it.  Again, I have so much drive and ambition that I have not had in many jobs in the past.  I'm not worried.  This is something I enjoy doing, not something I was forced into.  As far as the attendance issue goes, I am back to 93% attendance as I have just pulled off my first full 5 day week since Week 1.  In reality, this is my second full week in a row, even though last week was a short week.  The next day I plan on missing is October 9 when my grandmother goes in for surgery.  Just wait, Duke, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #468 on: September 14, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »

Ambition and drive is what keeps you doing the jobs that your ambition and drive don't want you to be doing right now.

More education is great, it makes you more qualified on paper. But your prospective employers want to know that you are qualified from a work ethic standpoint, too. Completing a degree is a fair indication that you have ambition and drive, but doing the actual work every single day well is a completely different situation.

Your qualifications will land you an interview. Your work ethic and work history will land you a job. It doesn't matter if you're scrubbing toilets with a toothbrush - scrub the hell out of those toilets and you'll set yourself apart. Our generation doesn't seem to appreciate that you have to climb the ladder, they say. You've got to work your way through a lot of BS in order to earn the position you really want. A degree, these days, doesn't say a whole lot about actual job performance.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #469 on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »

I absolutely agree, Tik.  Even if I was hired as the janitor, I would do the job to the best of my ability.  My ambition and drive is at extremely high levels right now.  There's no way I'm going to throw away the opportunities I should be given.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

Also, part of the CADD program is resume writing, interview skills, and tips to succeed in the workforce.  Upon the completion of the certificate, I will have the opportunity to take a licensure exam in an effort to get more money.  The exam and license is not necessary to get the job, but the successful exam should help get a fatter paycheck.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »

Our Dear Friend's assertion that he had no time for a part time job is simply a bald face lie. There is no desire or ambition to get one.  Other than another kiddy party today he could have put in 8-10 hours easily.  Same with tomorrow.  It's Laziness 101 that Bushie has a doctorate in.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #472 on: September 14, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »

Excellent, then, Bushie. I found that what helped me go through the most difficult jobs I had was a larger goal. Back then it was moving to Australia to marry and now it's to live comfortably with my partner. Perhaps the promise of Kenya will inspire you every single day to work hard even if it means missing out on the little immediacies that feel important but are not very urgent in the long run.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »

Excellent, then, Bushie. I found that what helped me go through the most difficult jobs I had was a larger goal. Back then it was moving to Australia to marry and now it's to live comfortably with my partner. Perhaps the promise of Kenya will inspire you every single day to work hard even if it means missing out on the little immediacies that feel important but are not very urgent in the long run.

But Tik you were willing to do whatever it took. There is no evidence, except to the contrary that Bushie will do what it takes.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #474 on: September 14, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »

But Tik you were willing to do whatever it took. There is no evidence, except to the contrary that Bushie will do what it takes.

I was willing to do whatever it took eventually. I screwed up plenty before I actually started working hard. It was much more interesting to stay in my room to play video games, try various recreational chemicals, and listen to music than in actually goint out to work hard for my larger goal. What actually drove me to really try hard was feeling trapped where I was, guilty for letting myself and others down, and determination to prove to everyone that they were wrong for assuming I couldn't do it.

Bushie is not me, of course, but I can see that a parallel can be drawn. I don't read the Update religiously because everyone bagging on Bushie gets really old. Yeah, he screws up a lot, and it feels great to look down on him or whatever, but he's just like anyone else. We all face a choice every single day to give in to the immediate satisfactions of whatever or to invest in the future by doing what sucks right now. It's self-discipline - impossible to master, but imperative to learn. Bagging someone out doesn't really help.. but it's not a skill that can be taught, only learned through experience.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies