Could a "Ford Nation" style coalition ever take off in the US? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:18:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Could a "Ford Nation" style coalition ever take off in the US? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could a "Ford Nation" style coalition ever take off in the US?  (Read 5102 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »

I.e. multiethnic and suburban conservatives in opposition to hipster/highly educated downtowns?
If the right could get past its history in regards to race and gentrification strains the two halves of the Democratic coalition, I could see it happening.

I can see it but I think you would need a fairly extended period of Dem dominance and GOP irrelevance. The GOP needs some wilderness time to to change approach and the Dems need time to piss off part of their coalition.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »

One other thing.

Ford Nation relies heavily on Asians. Toronto has a higher Asian share than every American metro except Honolulu, while having a pretty small Latino population. You might be able to copy the strategy in California (which honestly seems like far and away the best state to elect a Fordish, what with the traffic, housing prices and wokeness), but it would need to be adjusted to fit Hispanics elsewhere.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »

One other thing.

Ford Nation relies heavily on Asians. Toronto has a higher Asian share than every American metro except Honolulu, while having a pretty small Latino population. You might be able to copy the strategy in California (which honestly seems like far and away the best state to elect a Fordish, what with the traffic, housing prices and wokeness), but it would need to be adjusted to fit Hispanics elsewhere.
Do you think that this strategy would be able to take off in New York?

City or State?

isn't this, to some extent, basically the George W Bush coalition in 2004?

The GWB coalition was built on Working Class Evangelicals. In 2004, he padded his numbers with "War on Terror" voters from other Demographics in the environment of post-9/11 paranoia, but even without them, Bush still wins the EC due to his core.

A Neo-Ford Coalition would be more upscale and intellectual and look more like Ford/GHWB's.

We're talking about the Canadian brothers, not the former president.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »

One other thing.

Do you think that this strategy would be able to take off in New York?

City or State?
both

State definitely. I'm not as convinced about NYC though. Toronto proper is a lot more suburban than NYC. I'm not sure there are enough suburbanites in the city itself to lead a Ford style backlash.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »

"Ford Nation" could've been Kasich's coalition had Sanders been the Dem nominee; would've been a reverse Clinton-Trump swing.

Er, Rob Ford is not like John Kasich not was his coalition like Kasich's. Read his bio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Ford

Does that sound like John Kasich to you?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »

How did the Harper and Ford coalitions differ again?

Ford Nation was more downscale than the Harper coalition.

To put this in perspective for how unique Ford Nation is, Rob Ford may have won the black vote in 2010... That's unheard of pretty much anywhere.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »

I don't think that it's possible here given the racial politics of the South, the urban history of the Northeast and Midwest, the ethnic makeup of immigrants in much of the Southwest, and the radically different role of religion in public life.

I would agree with you nationally. It does seem to have potential  in certain progressive dominated cities and states. No one's going to believed president on it, but I could see a Governor, Mayor, or State legislature race swinging based off pissed off otherwise progressive suburbanites. That's pretty much what happened in Toronto.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies