2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:42:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections  (Read 33173 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« on: February 28, 2023, 08:34:04 PM »

So glad that Lightfoot is gone hahaha
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 09:07:45 PM »

Just checked out the campaign website for Paul Vallas and I gotta say, I like the guy. I appreciate a law/order guy and a education guy.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 09:14:30 PM »

Lori is gone.

Bitter end for her career politically, she may want to come back in 2027....
She is the incumbent mayor and came in third place. Only 16%. This is unheard of in modern times. Its clear the city is sick of her
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 09:16:28 PM »

Just checked out the campaign website for Paul Vallas and I gotta say, I like the guy. I appreciate a law/order guy and a education guy.

You sure about that? Vallas is seen as too pro-police, a Giuliani 2.0 or an tragic accident waiting to happen
Yes. Chicago has a serious crime problem. It had one before the nationwide crime surge, which made things even worst. Neighborhoods that aren't use to crime now have crime.

I am a teacher several states away. Chicago schools are known as the scariest place to work.

We need discipline in our schools and in our streets. If Chicago of all places elects him mayor, it shows what the people want
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:22:35 PM »

Let's Go Brandon! I'm tired of these Republicans cynically switching parties to attempt to sneak their conservative policies by the voters. We've tried this with Eric Adams in NYC and, lo and behold, the city isn't any better, it just has a complete clown at the helm.

I suppose you’ve never considered that maybe all Democrats are not as progressive as you. 36% of Chicago is not Republican. Chicago has been run by conservative Democrats for longer than it hasn’t.

I honestly don't even think this is a progressive vs. moderate thing. It would be one thing if Eric Adams had transformed NYC into the Garden of Eden or something. But he hasn't. There is no panacea to the issues large cities face in this day and age; all Vallas will be able to do is further harass the most vulnerable.
There is a panacea. Invest in affordable housing while bring back order in our streets and classrooms. More police and more teachers. Lets stop accomdating the 10-33% of our society that wants to defund the police and let kids climb on desks and cuss out their teachers.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 10:35:04 PM »

Let's Go Brandon! I'm tired of these Republicans cynically switching parties to attempt to sneak their conservative policies by the voters. We've tried this with Eric Adams in NYC and, lo and behold, the city isn't any better, it just has a complete clown at the helm.

I suppose you’ve never considered that maybe all Democrats are not as progressive as you. 36% of Chicago is not Republican. Chicago has been run by conservative Democrats for longer than it hasn’t.

I honestly don't even think this is a progressive vs. moderate thing. It would be one thing if Eric Adams had transformed NYC into the Garden of Eden or something. But he hasn't. There is no panacea to the issues large cities face in this day and age; all Vallas will be able to do is further harass the most vulnerable.
There is a panacea. Invest in affordable housing while bring back order in our streets and classrooms. More police and more teachers.

Those things should be done, but let's not pretend they constitute a panacea.
What are the biggest complaints people have about cities vs suburbs? Crime and bad schools

The other cons of cities are noise, space and privacy. But those are inheriert to cities and can't be changed. Thats why I'd rather live in a suburb. But cities should elect mayors who make livablity better.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 10:12:34 PM »

When will we know who won?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 08:33:38 PM »

Any chance Vallas pulls through?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 08:39:45 PM »

I guess Chicago wants to be Portland and San Fran so bad...
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 08:51:50 PM »

Fascinated by the takes that Chicago is doomed because they voted for a new mayor. Even if his policies were destined to be destructive, how often do big city mayors (or any executives, really) actually get their entire platform enacted? If I didn't know better, I'd think that people can only imagine cities in perpetual states of collapse.
Crime has risen dramatically in several cities since the 2020 George Floyd protests. The logically thing would be increase police presense and crack down on crime like shop lifting and car break ins.

Johnson wants to do the opposite. In fact, he wants to push policies that made it so bad on the west coast.

Even if Johnson doesn't make it worst (which is a big IF), it will not get better. With Vallas, you had a small chance it would get better.

So guess what? People will contiune not to feel safe and move out the city.

Want to know what'll hurt inner city kids the most? When every rich, middle and working class family moves out. Watch what'll happen to inner city schools. There is already a teacher shortage. No pay increase by Johnson will make up for every decent child leaving the city, leaving behind the worst.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 08:56:29 PM »

Fascinated by the takes that Chicago is doomed because they voted for a new mayor. Even if his policies were destined to be destructive, how often do big city mayors (or any executives, really) actually get their entire platform enacted? If I didn't know better, I'd think that people can only imagine cities in perpetual states of collapse.
Crime has risen dramatically in several cities since the 2020 George Floyd protests. The logically thing would be increase police presense and crack down on crime like shop lifting and car break ins.

Johnson wants to do the opposite. In fact, he wants to push policies that made it so bad on the west coast.

Even if Johnson doesn't make it worst (which is a big IF), it will not get better. With Vallas, you had a small chance it would get better.

Want to know what'll hurt inner city kids the most? When every rich, middle and working class family moves out. Watch what'll happen to inner city schools. There is already a teacher shortage. No pay increase by Johnson will make up for every decent child leaving the city, leaving behind the worst.

Could you have a more melodramatic take?
How am I melodramatic?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 08:57:55 PM »

No pay increase by Johnson will make up for every decent child leaving the city, leaving behind the worst.

You're a gross person, just btw. This is an absolutely horrible way to talk about kids and reveals the base instincts and zero-sum way that people on that side look at this.
How am I gross? I AM A TEACHER. I have worked in inner city schools and suburban schools. Have you? I have far more insight on the teaching shortage, COVID learning loss, behavior etc.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 08:59:11 PM »

How am I melodramatic?

Everything you wrote is sensationalist and over the top.
Did I say anything false? Or even unlikely? Everything I said is based on existing treads are they not? Families are leaving Chicago. Schools are getting worst. Crime is getting worst.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 09:12:33 PM »

How am I melodramatic?

Did I say anything false? Or even unlikely? Everything I said is based on existing treads are they not? Families are leaving Chicago. Schools are getting worst. Crime is getting worst.

I live on the west coast in Vancouver, British Columbia  (Richmond.) Most of Vancouver is very safe and the worst parts are generally nowhere near as bad as the media sensationalism makes it out to be.         

To the degree that policing is involved, drugs being illegal makes it worse. Yes, drugs should not be consumed on the streets.

As to families leaving, I'm sure most of Chicago is very safe, and even in the parts that aren't, most people are unlikely to leave. Not eveybody is as easily frightened as you seem to be.

It's funny how so many easily frightened people over crime were calling out those rightly concerned over Covid for being easily frightened. Maybe you should just never leave your house.

As to schools, I think schools have been getting worse since Socrates.
First of all, you live in Canada. The US doesn't have the safety net Canada has which has resulted in a lot of poverty. That of course doesn't justify crime. Nor does Canada have the history of racial divides the US has.

Chicago has a reputation for being a dangerous city. I live in the Southern US, Missippie Delta area. A lot of black folks here have family in Chicago, who moved during the great migration. A lot of said family have moved back south. Crime is a big issue, along with taxes and weather.

Chicago lost 45k people from 2020-2021
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/79-of-illinois-communities-lose-people-in-2021-chicago-loses-45k/

Crime has gotton so bad in some places, certain companies will not insure cars in the St. Louis area for example

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2023, 09:19:05 PM »

How am I melodramatic?

I agree with what you are saying but it doesn't bode well for our education system that a teacher thinks 'Schools are getting worst' is a proper sentence.
Dude, I am a Muslim. I jsut broke my 14 hour fast. I am sitting in bed. I'm not putting too much thought into mistakes while I argue with strangers on the internet.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2023, 09:22:30 PM »

How am I melodramatic?

I agree with what you are saying but it doesn't bode well for our education system that a teacher thinks 'Schools are getting worst' is a proper sentence.
Dude, I am a Muslim. I jsut broke my 14 hour fast. I am sitting in bed. I'm not putting too much thought into mistakes while I argue with strangers on the internet.
Ramadan Mubarak! From a fellow Muslim, best of luck.
Shkran!
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2023, 09:26:39 PM »

I've noticed the folks arguing with me and have stopped replying to my posts once I started posting stats to back me up...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies