IF Hillary's VP is a swing-state Senator... who? (ROUND THREE)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:58:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  IF Hillary's VP is a swing-state Senator... who? (ROUND THREE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: IF Hillary's VP is a swing-state Senator... who? (ROUND THREE)
Michael Bennet (Colorado)

Mark Udall (Colorado)

Amy Klobuchar (Minnesota)

Martin Heinrich (New Mexico)

Kay Hagan (North Carolina)

Sherrod Brown (Ohio)

Timothy Kaine (Virginia)

Tammy Baldwin (Wisconsin)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: IF Hillary's VP is a swing-state Senator... who? (ROUND THREE)  (Read 3990 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
« edited: July 21, 2013, 09:25:41 PM by Starwatcher »

You can choose up to 3 candidates.

I chose Hagan, Brown, and Baldwin. All three of these would be accepted enthusiastically by the Democratic base, but none of these three would be seen by a majority of the country as too "out there." Brown is a populist progressive from a swing-state, popular in both Ohio and known nationally to the base. Baldwin made history as the first openly-gay Senator elected, and was a solid progressive in the House. Hagan is mostly centrist, but progressive where it counts, having recently come out in favor of gay marriage despite her state constitutionally banning it by a wide margin just a year earlier and being up for a potentially close re-election next year.

As for the rest... Bennet is not a natural campaigner or politician, and while he isn't despised by anyone he isn't celebrated by anyone either. Udall would be a good pick, but Hillary is experienced enough and she may want someone younger. Klobuchar would have problems with the base on civil liberties, and her mannerisms remind some of Palin. Heinrich could be good... but he's pretty much an unknown quantity right now. Kaine is not that well-liked in Virginia, and wasn't that good of a governor or DNC chairman, and hasn't really stuck out in the Senate yet.

Michael Bennet (Colorado)

Mark Udall (Colorado)

Amy Klobuchar (Minnesota)

Martin Heinrich (New Mexico)

Kay Hagan (North Carolina)

Sherrod Brown (Ohio)

Timothy Kaine (Virginia)

Tammy Baldwin (Wisconsin)

Previous threads:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=176032.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=176376.0

And as I said in the first thread's OP:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »

A Colorado pick would shore up which swing state she could be the weakest.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »

Bennett, Heinrich, or Kaine.

Bennett is a rising star in the Senate, but I doubt he wants to stay there for long.

Heinrich is young and could help keep the Obama coalition of youths and Hispanics together.

Kaine is a personal friend of the Clintons as comes from the most important swing state.

Hagan and Baldwin are off the list for obvious reasons (especially Baldwin), while Sherrod Brown is too "geeky" for the national ticket. 
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »

Bennett, Heinrich, or Kaine.

Bennett is a rising star in the Senate, but I doubt he wants to stay there for long.

Heinrich is young and could help keep the Obama coalition of youths and Hispanics together.

Kaine is a personal friend of the Clintons as comes from the most important swing state.

Hagan and Baldwin are off the list for obvious reasons (especially Baldwin), while Sherrod Brown is too "geeky" for the national ticket. 
How is Bennet a rising star? (It's one T, by the way) He hasn't done much, his election to a full-term was rather close. And I doubt he's politically ambitious... he was appointed to replace Salazar, almost didn't run for a full term of his own (that was his first election).

Heinrich isn't Hispanic, just from a state with a lot of Hispanics. And yes he's young and handsome... but that's not enough to make him VP. He could be great, but right now he's just a complete unknown.

Where did you hear Kaine was friends with the Clinton's?? He's an Obama guy. And he's not particularly popular in Virginia.

Why are Hagan and Baldwin off for "obvious" reasons?? And how is Sherrod Brown "geeky"??
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »

^I guess KRich doesn't think America is ready for a gay Vice President, even though wehaveprobablyhadonealreadyIMEANCOMEON

I voted Bennett, Brown, & Baldwin. If I could have chosen a fourth it would have been Hagan.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:13:38 AM »

Of Hagan, Brown, and Baldwin, assuming she wouldn't think having two women on the ticket is "too much to handle," she would pick Baldwin since she endorsed her for President in 2008. I'm telling you, her VP will be a Clinton loyalist. All of them sound good to me.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »

Bennet - Hagan - Kaine
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »

^I guess KRich doesn't think America is ready for a gay Vice President, even though wehaveprobablyhadonealreadyIMEANCOMEON

I voted Bennett, Brown, & Baldwin. If I could have chosen a fourth it would have been Hagan.

Sorry if I'm blanking, but who is this specifically referring to?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »

Nobody specific. Just, y'know, statistically. I've always had a feeling about Zachary Taylor though
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »

Nobody specific. Just, y'know, statistically. I've always had a feeling about Zachary Taylor though

Buchanan?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »

Buchanan was likely gay, but wasn't he only President, never Vice President?

Anyways, back to the poll Tongue
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »

I chose Klobuchar, Brown, and Hagan.

I think Amy Klobuchar is one of the more liberal senators that can cross over and is extremely popular in Minnesota. She won 65-30 in 2012, winning all but two counties. In 2006 she won 58-38 winning all but 13 out of 87 counties. She could really help Democrats out in the midwest.

Sherrod Brown is a moderate liberal from Ohio, and the 18 electoral votes are extremely important to both Democrats and Republicans, but he isn't too popular in Ohio. He won in 2006 by a margin of 56-44, which is HUGE in Ohio as it is very swingy. But in 2012 his huge lead diminished to just six points, which makes me believe that his popularity is worsening in the state year by year, so he might help, but he might not even carry Ohio, he's more of a risk.

Kay Hagan is a moderate, and she is from North Carolina, which has 15 electoral votes and she can really help carry the south for Hillary. She won by eight points in 2008, but her lead is widening because she is up double digits to all of her challengers on the republican side. She also won the blue ridge mountains and the central flat region of the state, making me feel that she can connect with people in West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and other more conservative southern states. I mean I really hope Hagan is chosen because if Hillary is already barely trailing, tied, or leading in some or all of these southern states, think of what else they can get!

I wanted to choose Baldwin though. I really did. But in the south, and the plains, people are not ready for a gay vice president and it could really hurt the democrats chances in 2016, and I think she isn't experienced enough, she needs a few more years in 2016.

So here are my maps for all of the candidates I have voted for and for Tammy Baldwin.

Klobuchar:

Brown:

Hagan:

Baldwin:
(same as Obama/Biden)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »

While he's still rather unknown, Martin Heinrich has the potential to be a great VP pick for Hillary.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »

I don't think a VP pick can alter the map that much unless it's either an astonishing one or a godawful one. I doubt even Palin had that much of an effect on her ticket's performance.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »

I don't think a VP pick can alter the map that much unless it's either an astonishing one or a godawful one. I doubt even Palin had that much of an effect on her ticket's performance.

I've actually always felt like Palin may have won her ticket Missouri
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 02:21:54 AM »

That's one state which had a 3,000 vote margin--not much of a change if you ask me.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »

I think Sherrod Brown would be a great choice for several reasons. Hagan would not be bad either (and as a North Carolinian I would love to see her in office). That said, I think Hillary can win NC even without Senator Hagan.

Supportive as I am of LGBT rights, I think it might be a little soon for an openly gay Vice President. I just don't see our country voting for someone to be our second highest leader while simultaneously denying her the right to marry. Marriage equality will come first.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:31 AM »

If she's the nominee, I think Sherrod Brown will probably be her vp.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »

I'm sticking with McAuliffe.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »

Brown, Hagan or Kaine.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »

That's one state which had a 3,000 vote margin--not much of a change if you ask me.

Exactly. It could have been 2,500 votes the other way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies