HB 29-19: Canadian-Atlasian Merger Act (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:39:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 29-19: Canadian-Atlasian Merger Act (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HB 29-19: Canadian-Atlasian Merger Act (Tabled)  (Read 380 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« on: March 24, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »

What this does is to absorb Canada should the Canadian Parliament consent to do that. We have many Canadians in this game and I believe that absorbing Canada makes sense. I see no reason for this bill to be considered a declaration of war against Canada.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »

Even if we do support a merger with Canada, we don't know the terms on which Canada could agree to that (or more likely, a single market type relationship, I'm not entirely familiar with the pre-reset arrangements but that should probably be the model). So if Congress wants to start the process, we can pass a resolution to help get the executive to start the negotiations, but we shouldn't bind ourselves to vote for a treaty. Alternatively, the executive could just do the negotiations and then later we can consider the treaty. Or maybe the pre-reset arrangement wasn't that great and we shouldn't pursue this after all.
I'd be fine with a resolution to try to encourage the President and Secretary of State to start negotiations with Canada about a Common Market Agreement. Also, Ted and Truman might give some insight into what it was like negotiating the Common Market Agreement with the United Kingdom and if there were negotiations about a Canadian Common Market Agreement should they comment on this thread.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 09:54:11 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2021, 09:58:51 PM by Deputy Speaker Ishan »

Someone revive the common market agreement from the Adam era that was stupidly tabled.
Could you link it if there is any, because the only thing from the search feature shows this bill, in the Senate debate at the very least had anything to do a common market agreement and this bill is inspired and copied from much of the North American Federal Transition Act, but the scale of this bill is only in Canada, not the entirety of Canada and Mexico.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 09:14:16 PM »

Given I have been convinced by the arguments against this bill, I withdraw sponsorship of this bill (presuming you can do that in the House), and I plan on making a resolution calling on the President to seek a Common Market Agreement with Canada.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies